Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Pumpkin Soup... we'll make it this time

Normally, I'd be hungover today having spent 200 euro or more on alcohol, club entries, taxis and junk food over the three days until today.

Instead, I took my mum and grandmother to dinner today costing me about 40 euro total.

The funny thing is, I hated handing over the 40 euro for a nice meal for three but wouldn't think twice about spending 5 times more every weekend for years on alcohol. Strange the way the alcoholic mind works (I think this is the first post where I've actually referred to myself as an alcoholic but how true it is )..
Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone. day 22 and feeling "OK", all systems functioning. It is rare for me to face the working week with such a sense of calm- that is still growing.

woke up still thinking of alcohol and associated issues but it much less intense

Take care
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Pumpkin--so glad you're back and here with us Juners. I'm on Day Four and really happy to be on the path with you.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i'm in

Hi all
Joined sept 2010 and drinking has just got worse, joined the may club and failed, 06/06/11 is the last day, as i am typing this have a cold beer in hand and goining to skip work, yet again, i feel ill in mind and body.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy, welcome to June. Why not just start right now and throw out the beer? Th
en maybe you can make it to work and start feeling better right away. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Paddy. The way I am going I will soon be standing on a box at a street corner proclaiming the evils of alcohol in society!!!

Joking aside it did help me to try to look at the issue of alcohol, what it is, how we are sold on it, it's role in my life - all the pros and cons and writing it down, going over it again and again. The conclusion was obvious - the only thing I liked about alcohol was the buzz .....for about 90minutes max (all the other reasons were gross distortions, or selective reporting of the truth or just lies).

To get to day 22 I had so many delayed starts, false starts and broken promises to myself all the while soaking in torment, and being cheerful to my supplier. 22 days ago after a weekend that was only slightly worse than the the 50 that went before it I started in my abstinence and recovery and kept on going. I feel better in so many ways. Now I am a member of the June bus !!!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. Nice to see the June group growing!
I feel much lighter this morning - much more hopeful about life and recovery. I'm heading off to work shortly. Work is where the bulk of my triggers and influences are. Wish me luck lol! Be strong and be safe
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning--so great to everyone doing so well and their days sober growing--it's an inspiration. I am on Day Five, and doing OK--all the withdrawal symptoms have gone (phew) with the exception of hellacious insomnia. I get only about an hour's worth of sleep a night.

I know everyone is different, but how long can I expect this to go on? I try all sorts of ways to relax, have started exercising again (did yoga yesterday), hot tea, hot baths, praying, but I still can't get my body to rest. And to boot, I don't have as much of the free floating anxiety that I had when I was drinking.

And it's not like I slept well when I was drinking. Like so many of us, I woke up about 3-4 hours after drinking and tossed and turned (and wanted another drink!).

Any advice or experience? Thanks, and have a good Monday. x
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by citylights View Post
Good morning--so great to everyone doing so well and their days sober growing--it's an inspiration. I am on Day Five, and doing OK--all the withdrawal symptoms have gone (phew) with the exception of hellacious insomnia. I get only about an hour's worth of sleep a night.

I know everyone is different, but how long can I expect this to go on? I try all sorts of ways to relax, have started exercising again (did yoga yesterday), hot tea, hot baths, praying, but I still can't get my body to rest. And to boot, I don't have as much of the free floating anxiety that I had when I was drinking.

And it's not like I slept well when I was drinking. Like so many of us, I woke up about 3-4 hours after drinking and tossed and turned (and wanted another drink!).

Any advice or experience? Thanks, and have a good Monday. x
Hi Citylights, I am an Apriler, currently day 52. I found several things helped in the first 2 weeks to month. I cut way back on caffiene. I got up before six am and didn't nap or lie down all day. I got exercise on the order of an hour a day to take down palpitations and jitters. I reduced sodium intake. I had a large carbo meal like pasta about an hour before bedtime. I would read in bed.

Last night I fell asleep at 9:30 and woke up at 6:15 this am. All from a guy who drank almost a fifth of vodka per day for ten years.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Morning Citilights . The insomnia is a drag. I just lay in bed reading for as long as it takes for my eyes to cross and I pass out . I've been waking up several tomes a night, sometimes to neighborhood noise or to the many wacky dreams I've been having. I know it hasn't been long, but with the content of the dreams, I'm wondering if my mind is finally processing and filing away all the things I've been drowning the last year. Idk but I imagine the progression will be for things to get easier.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi there guys...day 2 for me and really feeling bad that I relapsed...but I found my way back here and that is what really matters. We're all in this together.

D.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Kidz--I appreciate the suggestions. Will take them to heart. I think it's going to take some time, but the fact that you're sleeping so well makes me feel better and that I just have to wait this out until my body starts adjusting.

Bee, I think you're right, our brains are probably taking in things in such a different way.

Mama, so glad you're here. Don't beat yourself up at all--we're all trying to move forward and be positive. Congratulations on Day Two!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi all

well the beers i have been drinking today, wont stay down, and just keep being sick, body wont take it i guess, i have a question to all, as ready to try the meds the doctoe gave me (chlordiazepoxide 5mg) can any tell me what they do or effect they have, as so worried about taking them??
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think June is going to be a great month, so far it already is. I've read quite a few posts where people are reluctant to label themselves an 'alcoholic', but for me that was the pivotal momment. I have to call a spade a spade and deal with it. I'm not sure if AA is for me but I'm going to do some research as I need to explore all the resources available for recovery. I grew up in a family where alcohol was glorified and drinking was and is the focal point of all social activity. Physically I don't find recovery too bad, but mentally this is shaking me to the core of my identity.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
Hi all

well the beers i have been drinking today, wont stay down, and just keep being sick, body wont take it i guess, i have a question to all, as ready to try the meds the doctoe gave me (chlordiazepoxide 5mg) can any tell me what they do or effect they have, as so worried about taking them??
06/06/2011 is the day i took that last drink and going to control my life, i called work and told them that i have lost control to Alcohol
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Paddy. What's your next step? Are you finding the support you need right now?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Bee

Support is zero, i have told my daughter (21yrs) and she said no dad your not an Alcoholic.The next step will start tomorrow and will try not to drink, seems like i am going to have a rough few days of not sleeping and the mind telling me go on just have 1 drink, i called work and came clean about my drinking problem, and will have a meeting tomorrow when i go in. Just like to say thank you for the site and reading the posts
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don't know if it's that we function enough or hide the extent of our drinking enough that it's tough sometimes for others to believe we are addicted as we are. But I know if I didn't believe that I was in some stage of alcoholism I wouldn't be hanging onto this site to help me through. You know in your heart and that's what you have to follow. Your desire to get sober and live a better quality of life. To maintain what you've managed to hold on to through all this. I'm sure you will find support as people see how important it is to you. And it seems your doctor is supportive since he prescribed that medicine for you. Were you able to find answers on the medicine the doctor gave you? Your job is extremely important. I would do what it takes to be sober for your meeting tomorrow. Hopefully you've dumped any alcohol you have left down the sink.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Cycled to work this morning feeling fresh as a daisy and, despite the poor weather, in my mind it was an amazing day and I enjoyed the deep breaths of fresh air on the way.

After a 30 minute cycle, I hit the gym for an hour and arrived in work at 8am.

That's a big difference from last week - this week I'd 90 minutes excercise and a few hours work done by the time that I was walking in the door of the pub last week.

This week, I know that I'll have no night sweats, won't be wakening up every 20-30 minutes through the night and won't feel dehydrated until Thursday. For those of you in day 1 or 2, I know how you feel but hold out... you'll feel like I did today in less than a week.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
instant

Day 23. Even though my physical withdrawal was only mild, the thoughts about alcohol have been intense. The difference is that I am obsessing about "not drinking" big time- and this is still going on so as to dominate my day from the moment I wake up. I am determined in a way I have never been before. I feel that in some was there has been a "resolution". This time when I have triggers they lead to what I call "moments of insanity" (my take from the big book) that are thoughts that are really different from the usual stuff that goes on in my mind. I am able to dismiss them outright and it works. Whilst I am not doing AA, I can relate to the HP thing, and I just accept this is the experience and that whatever comes I will handle it.

Citylights- every day you do not drink you are getting stronger, the ties that bind you to alcohol are being loosened. There will still be challenges. You have come this far and that shows how strong you are.