Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone especially all the new Juners- I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have- day 40 feeling fine
Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

June bugs

That's what they call lightning bugs. Each of you shines a light in my direction. Thank you for all your posts.
Welcome to the garden new June bugs!

It is a one day at a time process but we need to keep our guard up.

I was reading about PAWS (post acute withdrawal). You know it made sense of why I was able to go six months then one drink and I am right where I left off.

They say it takes two years for the body to fully recover from alcohol
Abuse.

So, it is one day at a time and one urge at a time.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
instant

everyones too busy to check in today ?

Had some mild urges to drink- family guest is consuming wine as I write- He is a two glasses and done guy- I am safe now - had chocolate and a cup of tea- guest will be asleep soon.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I will check in, only because you asked instant. I'm at day 42 with you, I think.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Day 21

Good day to all.

Welcome to the many newcomers, great to see this group ever expanding.

Went to a meeting last night, wasnt the best but its my favourite venue and i'm thinking of making that one my home group - Im just a little hesitant as i'm not sure what obligations I will have and whether i'm ready to do "service" yet. Awfully lazy and selfish of me but there are so many other nearby meetings I havent tried yet and I want to get at least a couple of months sobriety before I commit to anything - not that I doubt I will do that now but I feel like a kind of fraud when I talk to newcomers as if I have been around for years but not even got a month sobriety yet. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks though and i'm very very happy about that.

I was supposed to be starting the steps with my sponsor today but she is away at a convention, she had forgotten about it when we arranged it - so we will start next weekend. I can't wait to go through them - I will probably rush through them too quickly but will do them again (and again and again) if necessary as I hear so many others have. I didnt realise that people who sponsor people also have their own sponsors and those sponsors have sponsors as well - it never ends! Im willing to take this on as a lifetime ongoing project though - I am already feeling alot more spiritually happy so how great is it going to feel when I have been around alot longer?

Half the weekend is nearly over and again ive been lucky with no urges. I feel like the person they describe in the promises - the problem has been removed. I am aware that is just how I feel now though and that the urges can and probably will strike at any time - Im just happy they arent affecting me now and the longer I can be free of them the more I will have to lose by giving in to them.

Goat - are you still drawing on eggs or have you found another activity to occupy you? That did make me laugt and I have a strange urge to have a go at it myself Best hard boil them first, im rather clumsy!

My intention for today was to get a load of chores done at home then off to a new meeting later. So far Ive done nothing but bimble. Im going to do a list now so I can tick some things off and feel a bit more worthy in myself.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend

PS x

Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Baby step

Day 7, early morning. Amazing how tasty orange juice is when it has not been diluted 50% by vodka.

A small but signifigent baby step last night. First, my wife ask me to open a bottle of wine while she ordered our Friday night pizza, which we do every Friday. My wife barely drinks at all but this bottle of wine on Fridays is something she really looks forward to. I told her I needed to talk first and we sat down and I told here what I was doing and where I was. She responded so enthusiasically it took me back. She had been waiting/hoping I would come to this conclusion. Sneaking around drinking, hiding bottles and having a beer as soon as I got home from work, so she wouldn't suspect I had stopped at the pub and already had 3 beer and 3 shots on the way home, (Usually about a 20 minute stop) was not fooling her a bit. I should have known better. She is a lovely, brilliant woman.

Later, one of her friends stopped over and she quietly ask me if I minded if they had a glass. I said no, I did not mind and she opened a bottle. As we cleaned up the kitchen later that night the bottle of wine was on the counter, 1/2 full. She poured it down the sink although I told her she didn't need to. Her response?

"We will have no beer in this house because it is to easy for you to pop the cap, chug the beer and toss the can. I know you do it. We will have no liquor in this house because it is to easy for you to spin the cap off and chug straight from the bottle. I know you do it. And we will not have any corked bottles of wine in the fridge for the same reason. If you ever decide to drink a bottle of wine and make the effort to walk down to the basement, unlock the wine cabinet, and uncork the bottle you will call me before you take a drink. Do you agree?"

How could I not agree? (Afterall, she had backed me against the wall waving a finger in my face and the other hand wrapped around my throat.) She wants me to get better. She is not ashamed of me. She offers unconditional love and support. I am a lucky, lucky man.

At the end of today it will be one week, something I never thought could have happened a month ago. Thanks so much SR for this site which is wonderful therapy for me. I know I can be long winded so thanks so much to you good people that take the time to read my rambles. I don't know why but it is so comforting to know that there are folk on the same journey as I.

Well, my orange juice is gone. I think I will rediscover how good coffee is with out a shot of whiskey in it.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Streamwader - that was a powerful post - I actually welled up. Your wife is amazing and fantastic and you are both so lucky to have each other.

Well done Classical - I like the sound of your soft drink invention - are you going to give it a name? I also can't understand why and how people bother to have just one drink - what's the point? My brain tells me alcohol is there to alter my state of body and mind - I do miss the feeling it gave me but i've had my fill over the years - time to try some new stuff....

PS
Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

PS & Classical - I to am dumbfounded. How do they just have one or two glasses of wine? Especially those tiny glasses of wine. My drinking one of those glasses of wine is about the equivilent of pouring a bucket of water in the Grand Canyon. Why bother?

I am just back from the grocery where, among other things, I picked up sprite, pineapple juice and grenadine for this evening. We are going to community theater tonight and afterwards 2 couples are coming over. They will drink a glass of wine or two. I will be whipping up Cassical's invention and pouring over crushed ice. The drink is not mine to name but tonight when I am ask what I am drinking I will tell them it is a "Classic" and tell them just where I am.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Yay Streamwader! In dreams and in Love there are no impossibilities. Your wife loves you and that was proof last night. I know when I decide to sit my husband down and go over this with him, he will be right there along beside me. But, I want to give it a week to prove to myself first that I can do this. When you talked of your Friday date night, I thought, if you both still enjoy something as simple as a pizza and a bottle of wine, the fire is still burning. That is super! Your post this morning really puts hope into my situation to know this will be a journey worth taking...maybe not easy all the time, but I'm ready for the challenge. Outside of stopping at the bar, I've been doing all the same things you have been. Who am I trying to kid, right?

Classical - I agree with you that I cannot expect others to lead a life of sobriety as I am choosing. But, I don't want them to feel like they "can't" drink in front of me. Our friends are our family, but most of them don't have this problem. So, if they don't have it, why should I expect them to not enjoy a cocktail. I, too, am looking forward to having a nice tall glass of the "Classic" as Streamwader put it.

I have a bottle of Crown sitting on my counter. I'm not putting it away, and I'm not putting it down the sink. I want to know I can walk by it and not touch it. There's still beer in our fridge, but right along side of it is A & W root beer, so that will have to be my beer of choice. We have wine for guests, and that is all. I want to do as you said, be in any situation and not be tempted.

Wonderful posts this morning. I'm officially on Day 2 - woohoo!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

LOL! Classical Sobertini. I think the Class of June 2011 now has their official drink for celebrating sobriety! Thank you for making us smile!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Yay! A much better name! Classical Sobertini's for everyone!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I let everyone down last night and went out with a friend. He's my personal trainer and doesn't drink but I guess that didn't matter to me did it? I guess I'm still in the June club it will just be day 1 for me. Good news is that I got food poisoning so needless to say I don't want to see food let alone liquor for a while. Sorry everyone...
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

You didn't let us down. Remember, you are human. Human's are not perfect. All we can do is our best. And you are here again right? So, you are not giving up. That is the key. Don't ever give up. We all just wiped the dirt off your back from falling down, now get back on both feet, and face Day 1. Yesterday is a memory, Tomorrow is a dream, Today is what counts. No worries. Keep posting!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

You are here and thats a good way to start this day.

I have been weak so many times for so many years that I will not pass judgement on anyone.

Keep quiting and keep coming back. Come back when you are weak, come back when you are strong. Just keep coming back and push that bottle away.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hi

My last drink was June the 13th.... it would seem that this is my club, yes?

I have been treating myself to Kona coffee brewed at home.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Yes, you are in the right place and congrats on 12 days sober.

I will plead ignorance... Is Kona a special blend?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

yeah, it's the best! from hawaii. "fancypants coffee" for sure.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Checking in....

Pizza nights, Classical Sobertinis....I guess I should check here more often...all great posts. Sorry Squishy about your slip-up. It's still June!

Yesterday was bad for me because I was up all night Thursday night, not going to bed until yesterday 8am. A few hours' sleep and back to daily living....if anyone has to do this, you know how you feel. The rabid cat in my chest was just clawing away like crazy for most of the day. I perservered and it settled down by evening and I got 8 hours' worth last night.

I have also started practicing Mindfulness techniques to help handle anxiety. Very interesting stuff, books by John Kabat-Zinn.

Alcohol isn't even on my radar screen.....
Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it Squishy. Now, what can we do to keep you going?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

It's nice to see Day 22 for Instant, Day 4 for citylights, Bee for Day 1, and the many others that are here to say where they are, where they've been, and when they need help getting back up again.

Paddy, please walk away from the beer. There's is nothing we can't do when we are sober. But, there's a lot we can't do when we are intoxicated. Having more than one Day 1 is better than not having any at all.

A forum friend just told me to put the bottle back in the cupboard, as I'm tempting fate. And he's right. I'm going to give it away to a friend that has a lot of company stop in and he can put it in his liquor cabinet. When I touched the bottle to put it in the cupboard for now, I thought boy......it sure would be nice to. And immediately poured myself a big glass of Fruit juice. I sipped it slowly and enjoyed every bit of it.

I'm hoping to sign back in tomorrow and say "I'm on Day 3".