Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

I am new to the forums and want to join the class! Only 2 days sober so far but I am enjoying reading everyone's posts and seeing all the individual paths to recovery. What a nice group you all seem, cheering one another on and lending an ear.

Wishing everyone a beautiful day!

Love, Light & Peace
Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Dear All,

Today is my first day sober. My inability to control my drinking is ruining my life. Today was the second time in my life that I had to go to hospital because of my drinking. Last night, I was at my girlfriend's sisters BBQ. Both of us were completely smashed. On the way back, in her other sister's car, I got quite aggressive towards my girlfriend, pulling her hair. I mean, what is all that about? Then, we couldn't find the keys so I decided to smash the window in and now my little finger is all bandaged up. Fortunately, it isn't too bad but I do have to have a x-ray tomorrow to make sure there is no glass in there. Absolutely bloody silly.

I'm sat looking at my girlfriend now. She is a beautiful girl with beautiful kids and I feel so happy when I am with her. I thought that I could control my drinking and be a 'real' man, all cool and sophisticated. So, from the beginning we have drunk a lot and over time we have started rowing, all instigated by me. Last weekend, I nearly hit the groom's father at a wedding because he had his arm round my girlfriend and then yesterday, I was a complete idiot again.

I am frightened of what I am becoming, especially the violence. I am not like that. Well, I guess I am and now it is coming out. But, I know that I have the choice to stop the morning hangovers, the remorse, dry mouths, the shakes, the violence. I can stop it if I don't take that first drink.

Seven years back, I lasted 11 1/2 months without drinking. I now need to last the rest of my life. I love sobriety but I am also helpless in the face of the drink. With AA, this forum, and the Class of June 2011 I am to take one day at a time and be sober.

You are all brilliant!

Regards,

Chimp!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Welcome LayLadylay & Chimp,

It's only my third day here, and I will say I know this is a place I need to check regularly to keep me strong and keep me going.

Alcohol can do ugly things to us, can't it? The only time I've ever truly yelled at my husband is when I'm drunk. I would say mean, hurtful things, and just feel horrible in the morning about it. And he'd always forgive me. I'm very lucky.

I will tell him when I'm doing this when I hit my 7 day mark. I want to know i can do this. We have the 4th of July festivities coming up and I know that will be a rough one....but, one day at a time. I'll face it when it comes. And by then, I will have told him and I know he will be supportive.

Again welcome!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Inspiring posts, all, and welcome to the newcomers!

Half an hour ago I pushed into Day 17....and have exercised all 17 days. Today's 5-miler was slow but refreshing. Training for a "Tough Mudder" ten- miler- basically a run through mountainous woods and swamps with obstacles created by the British mi-6 forces.

Funny thing, even when I was drinking I was able to run, just not as well.

Food intake today consisted of a berry smootie, half a cup of fresh blueberries, and a cup of steamed kale. Boring, but very healthy. I might indulge in a slice of pizza later....

Oh how I want to pass 53 days, my previous adult sobriety record. But as Dee says....one day at a time....

Wishing you all my best!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Wow so many more posts to catch up on - I had to do it in two chunks between preparing dinner.

Welcome to all the newcomers - as others have said this truly is a fantastic place for support and wisdom.

I wish I hadnt had my shopping delivered today. The ingredients for the Classical Sobertini are going on my next shopping list!

Day 22 here - three weeks sober for the first time since I was 13 I think - feels great.

Went to my usual Sunday lunchtime meeting, it was good. There was a girl there who had been drinking and talking to her afterwards I could smell the alcohol on her breath. It set off some cravings, I could still smell it driving home and almost felt slightly intoxicated. I havent felt strongly that I was going to drink or even want to but it was a scary feeling the craving coming back, like a gnawing in the pit of my stomach. A reminder to me to keep well away from situations where others are drinking for as long as possible. I know myself well enough to know how weak I can be and it only takes a split second to tell myself "f*** it" and I will be gone again into insanity.

Im going to be extra grateful tomorrow when I wake up on day 23.

This is a great thread I love reading everyones posts, all the ups and downs, it all helps. If someone slips we help each other back up - no need to feel remorse just get back on track. However its easy enough to say that, not so easy to do, I know I have felt strong remorse on all of my hundreds of relapses but they fade as the sober days build up again.

Im going to have to catch up more often on here to keep up!

PS x
Old 06-26-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Love, Light & Peace

Chimp: Welcome...glad to meet a fellow newbie!!

4tk: I'm impressed with 5 miles! I'm rubbish at running. Am a dab hand at yoga, though. I think it's a question of moving vs. staying put. Trying to "move" on at this sobriety thing, though!

Beautiful evening here; my roomie just invited me out with her and some friends to a Biergarten but I declined. Prefer staying in, reading everyone's lovely posts, and drinking chamomile tea.
Hooray!

Love, Light & Peace
Old 06-26-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Hey folks, I guess technically I am Class of June now. I had a one time slip on June 12 after almost 90 days. I went to a 6 week inpatient treatment on March 26-May 6. I don't recommend ever trying to test the waters of being able to drink "normally" again or thinking that it won't be as bad as it was before.

Anyway, moving on, just picking myself up and realizing I need to keep my program in my every day life.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
...It slowly dawned on me that the afternoon had morphed into a worst case scenario. I felt trapped. It was not socially appropriate to laugh or cry.

---

But......... alcohol was by far a bigger focus than I was comfortable with. I am not sure if that was all the host and the others drinking or my OBSESSION, OBSESSION, OBSESSION . I went OK drinking the sparkling water I took and was very comfortable doing that whilst there. Afterwards I was emotionally drained, exhausted and went straight to bed for an hour. I was very moody, unsettled and at risk of getting angry. I have been severely shaken and it hasn't left me, as I write this four hours after getting home.

The obsession lives-
glad you made it through, instant. I really relate to this sudden "worst case scenario".... have spent some time remembering/reminding myself that this thing comes out of nowhere. it's very jarring for us and not for others. Hang in there.

~bxd~
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hello, I'd like to join the class of J11 please.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi,

Hi SoberMax, I also joined today, good to have you onboard. Thanks for the welcome LayLadyLay. So, it is five past nine. What a day! I can't wait to climb into bed and sleep. Because I know that if I stay sober, then days like today will go. Not hard days. I'm used to hard days. They come sober to. One of the main reasons I relapse is because I feel like I can get away with it. Sorry, I'm exhausted and talking nonsense! But at least I'm on here not drinking. The last time I was sober my Grandad died a few weeks before my final exams. I got through that. I can, with help, do this.

Chimp!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Hi Sobermax! Welcome to the june support thread! You have picked a great month to choose it! There is a lot of support here!

Cairns
Old 06-26-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Max & raindance
welcome Chimp and LLL...and congratulations Leo

this is a great group guys - keep it up!
D
Old 06-26-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
instant

steamwader
it depends on the donkey
it depends on the carrot
it depends on the plover

Morning everyone, slept like crap- I am here , I am sober, I am late for work

Have a good day
Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Great insight. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
one of many

Hey guys Skunkie checking in. 3 weeks ago I woke up to a horrid hangover, and in the early morning hours called out to God and admitted I was powerless again. I'm so proud of myself that I made it 21 days. I haven't had time like this in quite awhile! The best part is that I'm starting to utilize my new time and money from quitting drinking, instead of whining about being bored. I have taken up classical banjo lessons with a really good teacher and I'm having a blast doing it. Instead of throwing my money away on useless booze I'm learning musical skills that give me self satisfaction. I look forward to practicing my instrument every night and sometimes in the morning too.

I hope everyone is trying to stretch out their new sobriety and put it to the best use possible. I know I don't want to waste this gift!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep on pickin' skunkape

D
Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hey June-dawgs! It's been a few since I checked in, but I read through pages of newer posts this morning. So much happening; so many new classmates and everyone going strong! Great to see!

Bravo Instant! for getting through the dinner party like a trooper.

I'm also on day 21 sober, and day 5 recovering from abdominal surgery. I was nervous because i'm pretty much alone, but have had wonderful support from family and friends and am very grateful. I'm on two kinds of pain meds, but have already cut my prescribed dosage in half... So i hope that's good. I was on day 4 no smoking, but had a couple today . Maybe time to visit a smoking thread.

Hey we're pushing July! Keep up the great work everyone!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you're recovering well Bee - good to see you here

D
Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Thank You Dee!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Sorry I haven't checked in for awhile. I'm doing pretty good, day 10. I am such a workaholic nerd. I found out I have to take placement exams and I was jumping for joy because now I have school work to throw myself into. It's just math, composition and foreign language. But it's enough to keep my mind busy.

Hope you have a fast recovery bee