Notices

Class of June 2011

Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Wow, what a week. I knew that quitting would entail a bunch of unpleasant feelings, but I had miscalculated the scale. Up until 2 days ago I was constantly sick to my stomach and kind of agitated... but now the tide finally seems to be turning. I slept 12 hours and took a day off from work to settle, later I'm going to have my first run in the park since sobering up - no great expectations in terms of performance, but it's the spirit (the right kind) that counts here. Hugs to everyone here and keep on fighting - we'll make it!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Day 6 and I woke up to dry sheets. No tremors in the night, no nightmares and only woke up once for a glass of water. What a blessing.

Last night I was at a Trout Unlimited meeting. Usually very informal with drinks and snacks. One of the chapter officers, and a good friend, brought a 6 pack of micro brew (Brown Trout Ale, and it looked yummy) insisting I try one. I stammered something about a diet, trying to refuse. He wouldn't take no for an answer and finally ask if I was sick. (I have never been known to refuse a beer). It was the perfect opening and I should have said "Yes, I have a sickness" and come out of the closet, so to speak. But just then a woman, whom I barely know, reached into her cooler and pulled out a sparkling water and pushed it across the table. Later I thanked her and without missing a beat she looked me in the eye and said "I know where you are right now. You need to let everyone else know too".

Coincidence? Divine intervention? I don't know, but that incident reinforced my belief that this time I will succeed. She is correct however. I have have not said anything to anyone because I didn't need the smirks, the rolling eyes and the "Sure you are" comments.

Tonight I will tell my wife. On Fridays we usually order a pizza and split a bottle of wine (And I make excuses to leave the room and guzzle vodka straight from the bottle.) My wife is not an alcoholic but this bottle of wine (Which I drink 3/4's of) is something she looks forward to. I'm not sure its fair to ask her not to drink in front of me. I want her support so I have to breach the subject. Tonight I will.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
klg

yesterday we spent the day at the ball field, then to the hotel, where all the parents are drinking and the kids where swimming, they even had free beer,, and I never even had the erge to get one. It was such a great feeling. It was right on my table and free people where saying free beer get you one, I was like no thank you i will stick to my lemonade. now while they are waking up with a hangover I am waking up getting on this site clear headed,, feels great..
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

All you people are so inspiring to me, I eve started to cry reading some of your threads. I am new here, I am day two sober, and counting. Having tough detox, and hoping for dry, sweat free bed sheets tonight. Keeping busy today.. Going to spend 6 weeks closer to family, listing my house for sale, got to paint, take down an above ground pool, register a car, reglaze a bathtub, scrub my baseboards.p, and the list goes on. Hopefully keeping occupied and reading your stories will help me find the strength I need to never tough a drink again.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
instant

Ok guys friday night for me - just about to go to bed

SOBER

if you wind back the tape to two months ago a different picture
Old 06-24-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates:

Another week almost coming to a close. Despite going on 3 days with no water, things went well. I definitely noticed my bad day to be the one where I was very tired. If I'm rested and eating well, I'm feeling well. And my emotions are evening out.

My husband came home from his weekly traveling and said he likes the new me so much better. We go out for dinner he had his wine, I had my Coke and dessert after my meal. (I never used to order dessert!) I'm not missing wine as much at all.

Glad to see more and more new folks arriving. Cherry, 4TKDZ,hope things are going better for you today and a start of a good weekend. Streamwader - wow, what a story. She was like an angel for you at that moment. I hope I can do that for someone at some point too. We all "get" each other.

Classical, always glad to hear you are doing well.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi class!! Just dropping by this sunny morning sipping on soda and pondering my journey in recovery. To those dealing with frustration and that whirlwind of emtions~ it may not feel normal, but it is what it is. One of my biggest fears in early recovery was knowing that the first few weeks I was going to be happy for no reason, get ticked off at the smallest things, feel great again, stay hungry, etc!! It's almost overwhelming when one has no other choice but to figure out how to process the very real feelings and emotions that seem to gush up when we cut booze out of our lives.

And then, we kinda look around and shrug our shoulders~~what are we supposed to do with all this "spare time"? I knew it was coming this time around. I knew I would have to fill that gap and luckily enough I did not forget my first round of sobriety. This time my roller coaster ride of ups and downs were enhanced because I dropped the nicotine like a hot potato. The booze and cigs went together and last time I just stopped the booze. Anywho~ I guess in a nutshell I'm saying that it's mandatory to weather the storm. The truth is, in early recovery we are truly short-sighted and must learn how to cultivate more patience, and embrace those small moments of victory.

I hop you all are doing well this freaky friday. The weekend is coming quickly upon me, so don't be suprised to see me making a vew visits here! lol
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Legend and GBCuervo- I read your stories on the board - we have all been there. Thanks for sharing your stories. Staying busy, rested and full is all good. (leo - love the HALT system - it is SOOOOO true)

It's hard for me to keep up with all the posts on the general board as I'm finding more things to occupy my time (yay) and I'm prob keeping more of an eye on this one for now.

My next item is quitting the smoking, I have been doing quite a bit of it lately. I have to stagger the quitting episodes to keep some sanity. Good for you, Leo!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I really hope this is my group and I stick with it. 1 day in for me. I woke up crying and my eyes are poofy. Not really the look I'm going for on my way to work today. I kicked cigarettes when I got pregnant, I ended my awful addiction to cocaine, now I'm on my last frontier. I'm tired of being tired, bloated, angry at everyone because I hate myself. I'm so glad I found you all, I have no other support around to help. Thank you and here's to the next few really tough weeks...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

bratnik~~ glad you like the HALT. There is more info on it if ya google it.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leo21 View Post
Hi class!! Just dropping by this sunny morning sipping on soda and pondering my journey in recovery. To those dealing with frustration and that whirlwind of emtions~ it may not feel normal, but it is what it is. One of my biggest fears in early recovery was knowing that the first few weeks I was going to be happy for no reason, get ticked off at the smallest things, feel great again, stay hungry, etc!! It's almost overwhelming when one has no other choice but to figure out how to process the very real feelings and emotions that seem to gush up when we cut booze out of our lives.

And then, we kinda look around and shrug our shoulders~~what are we supposed to do with all this "spare time"? I knew it was coming this time around. I knew I would have to fill that gap and luckily enough I did not forget my first round of sobriety. This time my roller coaster ride of ups and downs were enhanced because I dropped the nicotine like a hot potato. The booze and cigs went together and last time I just stopped the booze. Anywho~ I guess in a nutshell I'm saying that it's mandatory to weather the storm. The truth is, in early recovery we are truly short-sighted and must learn how to cultivate more patience, and embrace those small moments of victory.

I hop you all are doing well this freaky friday. The weekend is coming quickly upon me, so don't be suprised to see me making a vew visits here! lol
Leo21 - I love your post - thank you for the quick wit and wise words. Love to see it!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

The days are really piling up here...feeling good. Day 12!

Haven't been back to an AA meeting...I really don't think AA is going to be my thing and I'm okay with that. I did tell myself that I would try at least one more but that may not happen.

Picking up my sister and her daughter at the airport late tonight...that would have been agony in the past - not being able to drink till after 10pm on a Friday!!!??? Looking forward to seeing them.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend. Be strong. Be good.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I'm new today, and now new to the Class of June 2011. My prior post in under Newcomers details what I'm dealing with. I know there is nothing that can't be changed. And with support, such as this forum, it will ease the burden of doing it "alone". There's a lot of inspiration in here, and I believe it's what every one needs. I have yet to come across a recovering alcoholic (which is a lifelong battle) where they di didn't know exactly how many days it has been. And that's because it is truly one day at a time. Day one for me.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Hello Class of June 2011,

I'm new to SR (and sobriety in general), but I've read all of the posts on this thread and there seems to be some very good people and advice on here. This is Day 9 for me (after a five day relapse bender ruined the 28 sober days I had before it), but I feel great and I'm happy to be here.

--Fenris.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Buelah Fenris and Squishy- glad to see you here!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

We all fall Fenris - its how quickly we get back up and keep standing. :-) Welcome! We can do it.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

There is a lot of support here so keep coming back. Come back when you're weak, come back when you're strong. Just keep coming back and push that bottle away.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

first post here, only 2 days so far, millionth attempt but each time I try my reasons for trying get more and more serious. Hope this time it works, am truly sick of being hammered now. drinking endless cups of tea, and resorting to things like drawing smiley faces on eggs to keep myself sane. Lovely to meet you all
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great to see a lot of new people here and everyone doing well
That's a great story StreamWader

D
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goatinthegarden View Post
first post here, only 2 days so far, millionth attempt but each time I try my reasons for trying get more and more serious. Hope this time it works, am truly sick of being hammered now. drinking endless cups of tea, and resorting to things like drawing smiley faces on eggs to keep myself sane. Lovely to meet you all
Goat you made me laugh for the first time today. I must admit I'm drinking tea as we write! I think most of us try multiple times. When I was addicted to cocaine it took countless times and the worse the next day was the better chances of recovery. Finally it just wasn't fun and not even a twinge of craving ever came back. I'm hoping this is how it goes with alcohol. Its a long road, but that's what we are here for...Welcome!