Notices

The Wildside

Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the beautiful photos!!!!!!!!!

OH, Bluebird, so sorry about your roses. I had a similar incident last year. Got about a dozen beautiful red geraniums on sale last year, (and was pretty proud of hitting the sale just right). Woke up the next morning, and every flower was chewed off of them! This happened after I transplanted all of them to their own individual pots and placed them around the yard.

I have to marvel at the deer's ability to chomp down on my coneflowers to within a 1/4 inch of the seed head. They take all the purple flower and leave a fringe of color around the spiky seed head.

And, what the deer don't eat, the Japanese Beetle's do! I don't spray because I live right on a wetland and don't like to apply chemicals so near to the water. They really attack the roses, and I have to go out and pick them off the plants by hand and dump them in an empty coffee can of soapy water.

Oh, no, it's JUNE - that means the war will begin soon!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Awakening...

YouAreNumberOne,
I like this hike because it gives you all, and it's the easiest 2600 foot elevation gain around. It starts out in old growth forest.

Gives you peek-a-boo views along the way.

Another peek-a-boo

Finally, it opens up to the land of rock and ice, alpine tundra.

BTW, AWESOME shot of the dandelion!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

LOVE all these awesome pics!

Inspired by this thread, I went out for a long drive a couple of days ago. I enjoy the quiet and it really helps to clear my mind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
drive.jpg (41.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

Wakeup, what a walk and to show it they way you did, I can try to imagine actually walking it!

Hello Mida, yes, quietening the mind by being with nature is a great help. I think there's strength in it all and for me, gives me that added focus on who I am. That way, there is even less chance that I'll be tempted to drink.

Attached is a photo I took with my phone camera! It's about 6:45am in the morning and it's of an estuary, boats, sunrise and trees. I was walking back from our ANZAC day servive on April 25th this year and took some photos of the beautiful sun rise.

IamLivingFree, how is your garden going?

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Attached Images
IMG_1031compressed.jpg (94.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Beautiful shots, all.....

We certainly have some beautiful spaces all around us, don't we...

This thread got me to thinking about going camping in August, so I pulled out the OLD tent to see what condition it was in...bummer...all moldy. Hasn't been pulled out in years.

But that discovery led me to a box full of camping gear from my old Girl Scout days from 40 years ago - GS canteen, GS fork, knife, spoon set, GS drinking cup, plus a couple of other things - a trip down memory lane.

No outings today - rained pretty much all day, and my disregard for rainy weather during my Girl Scouting youth pretty much went by the wayside with the onset of arthritis. Ah, to be young again....

Have a good one, all...
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Wonderful pics everyone,

Rosco, i'm in from the garden today!, the "project" is still on-going. I will have to buy a camera soon.

BB, I loved your bluebird story, thanks for sharing it with us.

It's raining heavily here, so I'll be relocating slugs and snails from the vegetable patch to the wild "project" area.

Apparently snails can find their way back home if moved, yet we humans still need satnavs, nature is marvelous.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Nice thread, thanks

I spent five minutes on this beautiful morning in the South of France watching my two little tree lizards soaking up the sun and then having some fun, running up and down the trunk of the platane tree.

Totally absorbing which is just what I need sometimes!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I love this thread! I think the outdoors is linked with recovery...I need to get out more. The pics are amazimg!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Wow! I woke up early today and listened to the birds...it was wonderful.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Twisty Tree...home in the Scottish Borders. Love this walk, great views, peace & quiet and a good little seat too when you get tired! I have parked myself on this tree many times & when I was a little girl I would climb it..the branch was bouncy then! Great fun!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maryjan View Post
I think the outdoors is linked with recovery...
This is so true. I can't get enough of the outdoors now and I used to lay on the couch and wish it would rain so I didn't feel guilty that I had no motivation to do anything.

The photos everyone posted are beautiful. I would love to visit all of those places but most of all, I want to sit on that tree, NTurn!

I need to get out and take more photos of where I live but in the meantime, a photo of a new addition to my garden that I bought at the Farmer's Market this weekend.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

I feel like I've taken a trip around the world with the visual impact of these amazing pics...love the Twisty Tree, Nturn!

MIBluebird, I admire gardeners as I'm so not one...we do have some climbing roses my MIL planted at our home over a decade ago that bloom beautifully and profusely every Spring...
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

Yes, loved the twisty tree and especially the red leaves. Just beautiful!

I like the comments on the photos about feeling as if we've been visiting the world!

Well, I'm going to take you to a magical place called Rottnest Island. It has very few cars (only a few vans for carrying luggage/food etc). So, walking and bikes rule! Nothing to do but walk, ride, swim, read and it used to be BBQ's and lots of red wine but now just BBQ's and soda water.

Anyway, here's the first picture - this is limestone that was at one stage, flat.

Rosco.
Attached Images
CRW_5285low res_1.jpg (100.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Here's one of Bathurst Lighthouse, Rottnest Island.

Rosco.
Attached Images
CRW_5282photoshopped.jpg (90.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Love this place, ... Saint Mary's Loch Scotland
Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Beautiful photos everyone (thank you)...so many wonderful places in God's country.