Notices

The Wildside

Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful morning here today, and i'm lucky enough to have a day off.

I've always loved nature, but this thread has jolted me in to a realisation that it deserves a much bigger part of my life. I'm already taking more notice of the things around me, and it's helping to instill a bit of calm each day.

Today i'm planting a wild patch at the bottom of the garden. It's where the sun first rises, and it will be somewhere to sit with a cup of tea at the begining of the day. I'm not the most creative person in the world, but I thought I might sculpt something out of some old mossy branches as a contribution to the well-being of the bugs and beatles.

I'll let you know how it looks later.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Nature lovers!

Dee, did you get your feet wet? I reckon the next best thing to "looking" at nature is to get "into" it! I think surfers love riding waves BUT they also love just being in the water. It took me a while to understand this and then get in the water as much as possible myself.

Wellwisher - I remember going to the shores of lake Michigan, near Grand Haven and was in awe with just how big the fresh water lake was. And so different to the sea.

IamLivingFree - I think you might need to take a photo of the wild patch and post it here! Sounds great.

I've attached a special place; it's a jetty (Busselton jetty, it's called). It's about 1km long and it's a great walk out to the end and back. Wonderful experience looking down at the water and seeing the bottom (if it's not too windy). At the end is an aquarium but it's natural, ie, you go down and you see nature underwater. Lots of fish too.

Well, have a great weekend everyone!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
L1060600comp.jpg (93.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Photos from a camping/hiking trip we took a week or so ago

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Awakening...

A little more mountain eye candy for you on a Friday night...

Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Awakening...

And one more of the rainforest to boot...

Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

About ten yrs ago my kids and I hand-raised a baby blue jay we named Peepers. His nest had fallen out of the tree and his nest mate died. Fed him organic dog food soaked in water and shoved in his big baby bird-mouth. We gave him 'flying lessons' in the yard every day and when he was mature we let him loose in a nature preserve near us. I hope s/he had a wonderful life in the wilderness. I remember you still, Peepers.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

The beach was closed Rosco - rebuilding after the floods - but I rarely get my feet wet unless I plan for it beforehand - I'm liable to fall in LOL

I like your pier pic tho

Great pics from you too WakeUp

D
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Almost forgot the ocean. Here ya go.

This is definitely my favorite hike.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I just found this thread today...love it! What beautiful pictures from everyone and I'm torn as to where I would like to live...but Dee, where you are looks pretty fabulous. I've always been a nature lover and Michigan is especially beautiful this time of year. I have a special fondness for deer and when I was a child, my Dad quit deer hunting because I sobbed so hard if he brought one home! Yesterday, I was so surprised to see this beautiful doe in my back yard. It made me smile.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Wonderful photo's,

Bluebird, can I just ask what/who eats the sweetcorn? Is it for birds, it's not something we see put out here in the UK.

My wildlife area is coming on nicely. You know how these ideas turn into something much bigger than than they should, it literally is turning into a jungle out there! I fear i'm being laughed at by our current garden visitors: "She''ll never get Orang-utan's living here!" (well you Pheasants and Squirrels, just watch and learn!)

Have a great start to the week everyone.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Iamlivingfree...we bought the corn feeder for the squirrels and they are loving it. We were so thrilled to see the deer feeding there though. Needless to say, I'm constantly out there replenishing the corn. I haven't see the doe since but am hoping she comes back.

Yesterday was a lovely day and I spent time planting in my perennial flower garden. Sharing my first rose of the season with all of you....

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's magnificent MIB

D
Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Nice pics MIBluebird, the deer is so cute!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Wakeup - which part of the photo is your favourite hike? It's not to the mountain top is it?!

MIBluebird - lovely photos including the deer!

IamLivingFree - you'll need to get your camera out and take a snap of your creation!

I went for a walk through our local bush and swampland today. Here is a photo of a flower (about the size of your fist) of the plant called "pigface" - yes, that's the correct name and it's a plant that grows in the coastal areas. It's an interesting, succulent plant with a wonderful flower! Dee, you probably get these over there?

Rosco.
Attached Images
Pigface.jpg (97.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

As part of my recovery, I recently bought a new camera. Photography used to be one of my passions until drinking, hangovers, and over medicating myself made me lose interest not to mention I couldn't hold a camera steady.

Thanks for for posting this thread livingfree. I've been an outdoor/nature girl all of my life and I have a whole new appreciation for it now that I'm experiencing it sober. A whole new world has opened up to me and I'm loving it! Now, if only I would see a Bluebird...a very special part of my legacy. My Grandmother rescued a baby one when I was a little girl and it when it was grown, it would fly around and come back and perch on her shoulder. My Mom and Dad loved them as well and no matter where we lived, they usually came every year and nested in our yard and we were able to experience their beauty every summer. The year my Dad was dying of cancer he hadn't seen a Bluebird yet. He was home with hospice and I was with him when he died and minutes after went out on his back deck with my daughter. As we both cried for our loss, a Bluebird appeared and landed on top of a pine tree in his yard. It was an amazing moment and I still get chills thinking about it.

Wishing everyone a day where moments in nature surprise and delight you and make you realize how truly fabulous it is to be sober.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Gorgeous photo Numberone!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

MIBluebird, thanks for your great post on bluebirds. I don't think we get them here. Sounds like they are one special bird.

I think photography gives you practice at focusing on nature. There is so much noise going on that to see beauty in the natural things, is a wonderful thing. But I personally find that I have to practice or I get caught up in the day to day noise.

I love my cameras, always have. I bought a Pentax ME Super when just 15 years old after saving up the money to buy it. I can still remember the day and looking back, it seems more "special" than getting my first car!

Here is another photo from the local bush. I called it Mother and children.

Rosco.
Attached Images
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Livingfree...that photo is so lovely! I am a Nikon fan but sold all of my expensive cameras a couple of years ago (probaby for wine money). I just bought a very inexpensive one that came with a 18-55mm lens. It takes good pictures but I have to invest in a new lens because that one's just not doing it for me.

Update on that lovely doe in my yard...she ate all of the buds off of my new rose bush!

It's a hot and sticky day in Michigan but I still can't bring myself to close my office window because then I can't hear the birds!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

Here's a tranquil photo of gum tree leaves peacefully resting (nearby bushland).

Have a great day everyone! Stay strong.

Rosco.
Attached Images
IMG_1147 Gum Leaves.jpg (89.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That looks like a place I would like to be NumberOne (got your name right this time...sorry about that).

Rainy here today but we needed it after 90+ temps and humidity for the last couple of days. The birds are singing and the critters are scampering around in the yard and a squirrel came and looked in the back door at me and I swear he was telling me to put more corn on their feeder!

One day at a time...hopefully a little bit stronger every day.