Notices

The Wildside

Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, that's perfectly shaped - great picture. I know this is OT, but.....

Are roses really as temperamental as I've been told they are? I received some tea roses about six years ago, and they are so bunched together (and actually, one got choked out) that I need to move them, but every year I never get to move them in the early spring. When I think about it, they already have flowering buds on them and then I'm afraid to move them. They're getting leggy, too.

You think I can just transplant them now?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really have NO idea wellwisher - it must be a great spot for these roses because all I do is literally prune the thing once a year - thats it, and it flowers all year round (I live in the Pacific)

I hope someone else will know

D
Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wellwisher,

I wouldn't move it while it's in flower, wait until autumn if you can.

If you absolutely must dig it up now, then it might be best to sacrifice the flowers, just to keep it as strong as possible, to help it recover.

Roses are funny things, they seem to either like you or dislike you, and if they've got it into their heads to dislike you, no matter how much time and loving attention you give them they'll still shun you! Dee, you've obviously got what it takes!

WW Hope someone else may be able to give you more advice.

I was awake at 4.45 am this morning, and was able to listen to the birds' morning chorus, absolutely fabulous. How do creatures manage to wake up and get straight on with the day, I need a cup of tea before I'd be willing to sing.

Have a great holiday monday everyone, hope some freash air is on the menu today!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I will definitely join you on the wild side!! i love this!
i just got back from my lake house.. not too wild. but i did get to be out of the city. im excited cause i am planning a camping trip soon, and i will have to post some pics!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, it's an absolutely gorgeous evening here, sun is low in the sky, beams of light cascading through the cloud formations, and even treated to a wonderful rainbow. Who needs a television, when there's weather out there, no licence fee needed.

Gorpus, great to hear you're blessed with a wildside too!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I guess I'll have to figure out how to post my pics!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

lol, undone, I did it once but will probably be scratching my head when it comes to posting the next picture...

Gorpus; glad to see you here

Thanks for the rose info IMLF - decided to wait on moving them! They'll live to see another day, if I have nothing to do with it lol
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Well, I have certainly leaned on nature to get through the really tough times. I have found it very grounding when I was losing my way. I had a favourite lamp post that I would take photos of earlier this year - I think I was mesmerised by it and the surrounding bay and it gave me focus and strength. Here it is again!

IamLivingFree, thanks for starting this thread. Awesome!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lamp post.jpg (90.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Rosco, great to see you here. The natural world really does put our troubles in perspective doesn't it. Everything about it never ceases to amaze me.

I learnt recently that the light from a particular star, has taken so many years to reach us, that the light we can see actually set off from it's star before the Earth even existed. I think that's mind blowing. Everything seems to be connected in some way.

I know i'm probably a bit biased (being a human and all), but I love to see pictures of our Earth from outer space, it is a particularly beautiful planet, how did we get to be so lucky?

Undone, I haven't got the technology for pictures yet either! great you've joined us in words though!

Have a great day all.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Getting really, really close to nature - I took this photo from the leafy floor of a beautiful nature reserve. I hope everyone can get as close as I did just by looking at the picture.

Rosco.
Attached Images
Star Swamp Up Close.jpg (104.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Rosco, that's definately a "close to nature" shot. I'll just brush off the leaves from my jacket!

Today i've been watching swallows flit in and out of a nearby old barn. Hopefully some youngsters already. It's always a privilege to see these brave little birds come back to their summer bolt holes.

Even after they've flown such a long way, they don't rest, they work constantly to feed and bring up their young. Wow, it makes me feel really lazy!

I tend to get a bit teary when they leave us in September, I hate to think of them flying over the great expanse of ocean, so many dangers to overcome. Wonderful little chaps.

Hoping for more wildness tomorrow!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Home for the past week...but this year's fishing trip to Northern Wisconsin was extra special because A. I caught my first Muskie and B. I was alcohol free

Old 05-31-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Being sober makes me enjoy things like this more...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Everyone's photo's have inspired me again today.

I've taken a (moderately) wild walk along the coast today. The sea was particularly calm, and hardly a wave to speak of really. I sat for while contemplating how rubbish I am at map reading, and after a while of sitting, I noticed that there was a breath of silence between each wave lapping the shore. It sounds a silly thing, but i've never noticed this before. It became quite mesmerising, almost a meditative experience.

I think i've had a mini retreat today, fabulous.

I must invest in a camera.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hello everyone and great photos Wakeup and MyGrandfather!

IamLivingFree - it's interesting you mentioned the silence between each wave lapping on the shore. In meditation, one of the moments is the pause between breaths and with focus, it allows you to deepen your meditation.

Below, I've attached possibly the most important place for me in the early months of sobriety. If I was confused, you know, not grounded and focused, I would go here (sit on the lower step) with a take-away cup of tea. I would watch the waves and it would make me feel so much better. I haven't needed to do this for a few months now, but know that it's there if I need it.

Rosco.
Attached Images
IMG_0877compr.jpg (96.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

We sure all know some wonderful places

D
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

WOW - all of these are beautiful shots! And the descriptions of waves and bays (oh, I so miss salt water!)

I was given the opportunity to see the bay at all times of the year. We lived on a houseboat for about seven years, and had a workboat.

My favorite time of the year on the bay was, believe it or not, winter and early spring. Not a soul to be seen, marshlands dotted throughout the bay and it was the quietest, quietest space I ever occupied in all my years. I saw a rising moon once that was HUGE, very orange in color, and it looked like it was sitting on the dock when driving down the road to the marina. We'd rescue swans that would get stuck in the frozen canals overnight (break the ice up with the clamboat), and worked the bay for clams and bait fish. Not a lot of money in it, but it made for a great day's work.

Had to watch for the seagulls though, because if you left the catch on the deck uncovered, they would come in, steal clams and crabs, then fly over to the houses across from the marina and drop them onto the roof to crack them open and have a free feast.

Heard many complaints about sea gulls over the years, but I actually love them - they were like comedians to me.

Now that I'm on a fresh water lake, I don't see many except when I go toward the river. I have, however, found the same comedic qualities in a pretty common bird around here - the Blue Jay.

Thanks for all the great posts!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was inspired by this thread to visit this place today

D
Attached Images
jetty 005.jpg (59.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

AAHHHH...more salt water (right? - looks like it because of the wake at the shoreline)

I'm loving the pines bordering the picture, too. Not used to seeing that. Pretty much every inch of land that bordered the salt-water shoreline was covered in housing and suburban landscape, except for the Ocean Parkway area - Jones Beach, Robert Moses and all the town beaches in between. Basically, that area was barren save for scrub pines and marshlands toward the bay side, and the ocean on the other. Sand, sand and more sand cut by parkway.

I'm dying to know where WakeUp took the picture of the mountain scene - beautiful!

And this thread is reminding me that pretty much all of my nature treks seem to be in the past - I've got to get my arse out there again!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it's a bay directly off the Pacific ocean Wellwisher...theres lots of development here too, but that's a nice little green belt just there

D