Notices

The Wildside

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile The Wildside

Dear all,

This thread is for anyone who is a sober nature lover. It's for the appreciation of the natural world, and the inspiration and energy it gives to those who love it.

I will be posting regularly, and it would be just wonderful if anyone else feels like joining me on the wildside.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

My wild experience today has been a bit limitted, just 15 minutes watching some crows playing about in strong gusts of wind. They seem to love it, riding the wind like experienced surfers. When they'd got fed-up with that, however they then congregated in my garden and proceeded to demolish the bird feeders. Hungry work this flying business.

Hope to have more exotic wildness tomorrow,

Love to all fresh-air fiends on SR.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, it's been a windy, wet day here. In the interests of wildness, i've still been outside for a jog/walk (I'll call it a jalk).

Had a couple of quizzical glances from a male pheasant and some rabbits, but I must have looked sufficiently bedraggled to pose no threat as none of them ran away.

And no-one has told the hedgerows about the recession because they are abundant with life, and smell just gorgeous.

Anyway, the main reason for todays post is to recommend a windy, wet walk in nature to anyone who has some difficult "brain work" to do. It clears the head, and energises the mind better than anything I can think of.

Wishing fresh air and abundance to all,

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love living where i do - I don't think it was coincidence I move here after I got sober

not my photo but it's also where I live

D
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recently found my fishing rod after a "losing" it for a year & took the opportunity to get out Sunday morning for a few hours of Trout fishing. Can't recall the last time I had such a great time & the solitude & sounds were nothing short of amazing. Not to mention catching an eighteen inch Brooke, second biggest I've ever caught.

Great thread, BTW!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went on vacation in April and stayed sober the whole time. One of the places we went was the Pantanal in Brazil. (Google it if you're curious.) In the past I'd have wanted some weed or other things while "in nature" but being sober made it a lot more fun.

Here are just a few of the pics we took.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I will join you on the WildSide.

I live in the centre of a huge city, but there is a gorgeous and huge ravine just a block away from me and it's a place of refuge for me. I soak up the quiet, the fresh smell of plants and trees, love the creek, the sound of the birds, all of it. Walking became a passion for me many years ago when I began to recover and the ravine is one of my favourite places.

In my dreams, I'm on the beach where Dee lives!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thanks for the thread

From my camping trip this past week:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

nandm do you live in the Pacific NW?

nice pics btw.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm heading out on a SOBER vacation later this week, camping and enjoying the great outdoors, I can't wait.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I think of how much of the world and of life I just used to miss...this thread really makes me smile :

D
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
nandm do you live in the Pacific NW?

nice pics btw.
Yes, I am so thankful to live here. Oregon is a beautiful state as well as Washington
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eagles across the cove

OK - this is an experiment - not handy when it comes to attachments, but I'll try. These are eagles that have obviously picked this lake to be their territory. Was hoping they would nest there, but they didn't. They landedng about 500 feet from my home in one of the large pines. Never saw a live eagle before this, but have many times since (taken 2009).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Eagles Sharpened.jpg (88.7 KB, 194 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wellwisher, great picture. I have been watching a live stream on two eagles that hatched 3 eggs. It is amazing to watch them grow. This is the website, if you love eagles it is worth watching Decorah Eagles, Ustream.TV: The Raptor Resource Project brings you the Decorah Eagles from atop their tree at the fish hatchery in Decorah, Iowa. To make a...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Boo...I can't post pictures just now but Thanks for the thread.

I completely agree that a wet windy walk is one of the best things in the world...also the water is good for my soul.

WW...awesome eagles!

Nandm...one day I will get to the pacific NW
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good pic
Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, Nandm....I happened to stumble onto the eagle cams through an e-mail link my cousin sent to me at the beginning of the year.

First I started watching the Outdoor Channel's webcam in Shepherdstown, WV. There were two eagle eggs; one hatched and the other was not viable. On St. Patrick's Day, the one egg hatched and they named it PaddyO. It only survived for about a day or two, (very sad - and yes, animals grieve - heartbreaking). The interesting part is that, knowing that eagles tend to mate for life, it seems a third eagle (now suspected to be male) interfered with the nest, and there was a lot of fighting going on around the nest during that eaglette's first day. Could have distracted the parents enough to not have fed the baby enough, or another theory is it got trounced on during one of the fights in the nest itself. The original male eagle has not been seen for quite some time now, and it appears the female is now mating with the new male (but it is too late in the year for new eggs) They don't think the original male died - it was forced away from the area. This is supposed to be very, very unusual eagle behavior.

Then, I switched to Turtle Bay webcam. There are two babies (now with five foot wing-spans - about 7 1/2 weeks old). They named them Stormy and Windy. Seems we'll have a success story there, thankfully.

They face such challenges - eagles being hit by planes, environmental factors, you name it, they have to deal with it. All in the name of progress.

I am grateful for all land trusts and people with foresight - it is so important to preserve these open lands before they become another condo or shopping mall.

Have a good one.....
Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow, everyone's post have sent a shiver of joy down my spine, I want to pick up my tent and start trekking across the globe to see it all!,

The world is so amazing.

Anna, you're right, even in the city there are natural places which inspire.

One of the most memorable homework assignments I had at school was to find a square foot of grass and just watch it for 10 minutes. I was enthralled by all of the life I could see in just that tiny space.

Wellwisher, the eagles are incredible.

Thanks Nandm, for the webcam link.

I've a few days off work, so i'll be checking out some wild places around here!

Have a great day.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone has a great weekend

D
Old 05-29-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the budding roses at my door - not really 'my' roses - they were here when I arrived and they'll be here when I leave - I just prune them every so often

D