Notices

Class of March 2011

Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to hate that too OzGirl...it's like back to square one.

Hope it doesn't last too long for you

Welcome to all you new guys!

D
Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey March peeps! Clearly I'm not new to the forum..but I left for awhile and have been lurking on and off..kinda scared to jump back in. I hate failing in front of people, so it was just easier to give up giving up, by myself for awhile. I hadn't been trying to quit, but I need to, I know that. Anyway, I'm on day 8 today, and would like to join your group, cuz I know support is so important and I get so much out of reading your posts! So, gahhh! Taking the plunge! (When will this headache go away??)
Hope you're all having a great, sober Sunday night.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back mirage - good to see you

D
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee..always good to see you, too!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Happy Monday to all the Mighty Marchers!! Hope you had great, sober weekend. Huge to all the recent joiners to this thread, I hope we'll stay together in mutual support. Ozgirl - with you on the restless sweats, UGH.
I slept for an unbelievable NINE HOURS, I think its probably 5 years since I did that. As a result feel almost sickeningly perky & happy

Peace to all
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well, Day 1 for me again. Still March, so I'm in!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Morning All. Made it through a beautiful birthday weekend sober. Welcome to all the new joiners to this thread. We can do this. Oz- hang in there. Rebel there is nothing wrong with feeling perky and happy. Heck that is what I am shooting for one day.
Welcome back Chris. Way to fight back.
Have a great sober Monday
Day by Day
Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I once belonged in the class of September, but due to faulty wiring I slipped.

So I think I'll come in and rest a bit - working on day #6 today and very grateful for another chance to live sober.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Editor

welcome aboard
Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thx - it's good to be here. It's better than "there" - which is NOT a good place to be. Insert your word of choice!! LOL

I hope everyone has a positive week and that each day we all find something to be thankful for. I"m thankful for this place and for all you fine folks out there in cyber-land.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in.
I'm 38 years old, stay-at-home mom with 4 kids 8 and under. My father is an alcoholic. My brother is an alcoholic. My mom used to be a heavy drinker. I started binge drinking and smoking pot at 16, and by 17 I was drinking heavily, using cocaine daily, and taking all the prescription narcotics and opiates I could get my hands on (coke and Vicodin and scotch- the trifecta!). After a while the drugs got scary, and I stopped that stuff but I kept on drinking. We all have our vices, right? And besides, I'd given up all my druggie friends and I was pretty alone- if I gave up drinking, I wouldn't have *any* fun. (rationalize, justify, deflect, pretend it never happened) Before I got pregnant with #1 I was a pretty hard-core drinker. Drank nightly to the passout stage, finally decided to "quit" after a drunken makeout session with my best friend of nearly 20 years (who I had no sexual interest in at all). I lost that friendship and almost lost my relationship with my now-husband as well. Stopped drinking, and it was really hard. In retrospect there was probably some physical dependence but I never considered myself an alcoholic at the time. That was almost 10 years ago. I didn't drink during my pregnancies and barely drank while I was breastfeeding so I figured I was done, I was okay, and I could be a normal, moderate drinker. My youngest is almost 3 now and over the past year- but especially the past 6 months- I've been drinking more and more and practicing my usual rationalize, justify, deflect, and pretend it never happened. I don't drink every night, or even every week, but when I do drink it has been progressively more difficult for me to retain control. It seems like I black out after fewer drinks, I lose parts of nights, I wake up not quite sure how I got up the stairs to bed. I had a blackout weekend before last after going to the bar with my brother, and I am just done. I don't like who I am when I drink. I don't have fun any more. All I have is guilt and shame and anxiety and I am sick of it.

I'm honestly overwhelmed at the thought of never drinking again. I'm excited that I can choose to never, ever be blacked out or hung over again. I'm terrified that I will fail. I'm pissed off that I can't enjoy a cold beer on a hot day. I feel like it's not fair- I didn't ASK to be this way, and why can't I just be like other people? I walked away from cocaine, I quit taking prescription drugs, I quit smoking pretty easily and I don't think twice about any of those decisions. So why is alcohol so different for me? It stinks.

I'm glad to have found this forum, and I hope at some point I will have my own success story. Until then it is nice to know I'm not alone.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm in. Have spent most of last three years either drinking, thinking about drinking or thinking about stopping drinking. 1 March I stopped and had no cravings whatsoever...so a week later decided to experiment with some moderation. I swear I am an otherwise intelligent woman!

Now a week later, I am back on day 1 but more determined than ever.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Here goes nothing . . . . let's do this.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
is really trying!

HI to elfgirl, TOI & HF. Hope you'll stick with us on this newb thread. I had relapse a week ago, just like TOI, was trying to have 'just one, 'cos its been a hard day & I deserve it' D'oh, def one of the more moronic moments of my life & yes, I'd consider myself an otherwise sane & intelligent woman too.

You need never feel alone - we all know the feelings even if our back stories differ - I LOVE this site.

Peaceful, sober night to all from Ireland
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all you new guys

D
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
orangutan

Back to day one I got on it last night.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Aussieblue

I know you're a little isolated when it comes to face to face support but I really recommend making the effort - it may make all the difference.

Apart from that, look at the factors that led to you drinking again - can you do anything about them next time?

D
Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
orangutan

Dee, I was doing well right up untill my husband opened a bottle of wine to have with his dinner we only shared the one bottle, 3 glasses for me I never got smashed but I failed just the same.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm on Day 6. I hope you are all doing great!

aussieblue - Just dust yourself off and try again.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a lot of folks here have partners who drink aussieblue, and they manage to stay committed to being sober. Its hard but not impossible

Have you talked to your hubby about how hard it is for you, especially when he drinks in front of you?

D