Notices

Class of March 2011

Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Its Day 3 for Me!

Lets Keep the Good Times Rolling,

Will check in tomorrow but I am happy for you guys, and am happy for me too.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm happy for all of you. I'm beginning to remember again how sobriety really is fun and rewarding. It's poison - yuck.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Aussie, you are on the right track...keep it up! I will too!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Hey guys. My date was 2-21. After 13 days sober I said, "screw it" and drank at 5am. That was 2 Sundays ago. At around 11pm that day I was sent to the psych er for the night because I was suicidal. I immediately resumed drinking when I was released the next day. Then, after another 5 days of absolute insanity, I ended up in detox and am back here sober again.
This time I lost my job, my boyfriend, and I got kicked out of school. I also almost lost my family and my life.

By the grace of god I am still alive and my date is now 3-12-11. I am on my 4th day without a drink. Today I choose life over alcohol.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

thx for coming here, bella.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, working on day 9 here. Welcome all the new people. This is a really great place! You're right leo sobriety is fun. Bella u r so strong to have made it here!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Shegirl!! *hugs*

Glad you are here too - thx for the message! We all can do this together - no doubt!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day #2: I will not drink today. Simple as that (yet not so simple, right?).

I won't promise that I won't drink tomorrow or that I will never drink again, but I will not drink today.

One day at a time (one hour or one minute at a time for that matter) is how I will handle this -- anything else to me at this point in time seems too abstract and overwhelming.

I know the cravings/urges/compunctions will eventually subside. As is said: "this too shall pass."

I can do this, and so can the rest of you. How about we try it together?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Editor

Checking in. Still here and sober.Yessssssss. I love being sober. Elfgirl. The fear of quitting sucks. We have all been there. Elfgirl, Shegirl, leo, bella, Chris, fierce, GHW, aussie, Dee, RA, TOI, Hockey and anyone else that I missed( not on purpose)-- The beauty of sobriety is that it is a gift to yourself. Enjoy your gift everyone and have a wonderful sober day.Day by day.
Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm gearing up for tomorrow. My husband bought us a 6-pack of Guinness last week, so I'm planning on how to say "no." I've told him I am done with alcohol, but I've said it so many times before... It'll probably be a while before he realizes I'm serious this time. I'm sticking with honesty though- I don't get anything positive out of drinking any more, I hate being hung over and not knowing what happened the night before, and "moderating" has not worked for me.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Dave, Hockeyfan, etc...what will see me through is the JOY of feeling good. I need to really remember that when tempted. I am a pretty simple gal, no frills, love my animals, my sisters and friends, making my yard look beautiful. Too much to give it up to one night of stupidity. Bella...you hang in there and please take care of yourself. Please get the help you need.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Editor

Elfgirl-my wife doesn't get it or doesn't want to get it. She actually offered me a glass of wine last night. I didn't get mad. I just politely reminded her that "if I wasn't an alcoholic....I would love to have a glass of wine. The truth of the matter is that I am an alcoholic and I cannot control my drinking and I am not going to live like that anymore." She apologized and gave me some sarcastic remark. I think that she just wanted me to open the bottle for her. It really didnt matter. because I was honest with myself and her without being an @ss. It is not easy living with a spouse that is still drinking,but I am finding out that it is doable ( if that is a real word). Keep living.Day by day.
Dave

Chris keep feeling the Joy.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

On and Off the Wagon

I quit for a year then ended up at a party and thought I could control having one or two vodka tonics. It didn't work I got back to having four or five every night. Haven't had one for three days but had a couple glasses of wine. The reason for the wine was I can't sleep since quiting the vodka.The wine helped a little but still have a hard time sleeping. Wish I was like my friends and could socialize with one or two beers or wine. No hard stuff anymore. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Bounced out of bed on day 2. Plan to attend AA meeting tonight. Went to same one a few weeks ago and wasn't too nerve-wracking.

I went to an AA meeting three years ago and hated it. But figured why not try again....so I did.

Hugs to all Marchers
See you at the other end of my day 2
Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

And MY Day 2 as well...see ya.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Runner63 View Post
I quit for a year then ended up at a party and thought I could control having one or two vodka tonics. It didn't work I got back to having four or five every night. Haven't had one for three days but had a couple glasses of wine. The reason for the wine was I can't sleep since quiting the vodka.The wine helped a little but still have a hard time sleeping. Wish I was like my friends and could socialize with one or two beers or wine. No hard stuff anymore. Any help is appreciated.
Runner...I have always wonder why I would not control myself like others did...but fact is I just don't. I have a desire to be a total non-drinker. Not even thinking to be anything else. I don't know what to say to you except you are here and that means something. Most folks I know would never come here, even though they have the "binge" problem I have. Keep reading and learning...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Whew - lunchtime is over.........i just survived my witching hour. I had to pay bills so that meant leaving the comfort zone of my work. Grabbed a big glass of ice water and ate a sandwich to avoid any thoughts. Just glad to be back in my comfort zone!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

lookinforward- I have no expectation that my husband will quit drinking. It's not the same for him. But I do hope he will at some point realize that the challenges I have aren't just manufactured drama on my part, and we're ALL going to be better off with alcohol out of my life. Do you think your wife is taking your choice to be sober as a judgment of her own drinking? I think way back when I quit drinking daily, my husband took it personally, like I was trying to show him up or make him feel guilty. And I admit, I did resent it that he could still drink (especially after I was pregnant and it wasn't a *choice* for me to not drink- what, no show of solidarity?) and was a bit of a b---- about it for a while. Now, though, I don't really care. I'm just glad that when he got hammered last weekend I was stone cold and got him home without incident.

Runner63- oh, yeah, I totally feel you on wishing I could socialize with a couple drinks! I tried and failed at that so many times... Have you read the sticky with the excerpts from Under the Influence? Reading about how differently an alcoholic's body processes alcohol was incredibly eye-opening for me and is helping me realize that for some of us, moderation is simply not- and never will be- an option. I do think it's great that you're here and working on it! And I hope you find your answers soon.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

It's the morning here in Oz, on day 4. Work will be easy today, just have to sit through a committee meeting all day, boring but easy for my current frame of mind. Then over to my Mother-in-laws for dinner and then will hit a meeting. Good luck all!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back bella, shegirl and leo.

Runner, having troubles sleeping it's very common. It may take a week or two but it all settles down

If it worries you, please see a Dr - anything's better than drinking.

D