Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great work, really
Welcome to the thread celx

D
Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Welcome Celx!!! I'm glad to hear that you're picking yourself up and doing it better this time. It's so much more than just quitting the booze, isn't it? We're learning!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey, Celx

It sounds to me like you're being more of a participant in recovery and I think that's absolutely great! There's no deny that it's a learning process; figuring out what situations are okay. Still learning myself after quite a while.

I think down the road the fact that you took a drink this weekend will be far, far less important than what you did after it.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Dismember

To think... exactly a week ago I was waking up, dizzy and confused, sick taste in my mouth and horrible smells in my room. I couldn't figure out why my computer clock said Monday when clearly I started drinking on Saturday. I remember wanting to look for the last bottle and see if there was anything left, but I was too dizzy and it's not my style to leave witnesses.

What amazing good just one week of sobriety can do!

I'm darn lucky to have walked away with nothing but a hangover and nothing more lasting. I made some good decisions this past week. I think I did everything I was supposed to. Now comes the most important part: do not drink today.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Welcome celx.

Isaiah, yes, it's amazing how much can happen in such a short time of sobriety. My life today is radically different from one month ago, when I drank my last bottle of wine. I am so grateful to be where I am today, and to have so much support in my recovery journey. You guys are part of that; thank you!!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Isaiah -- I REALLY like your posts...not just here but all over the forum. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I think you have a lot to offer in the way of compassion and experience...combined with a beautiful style of writing.

Hey -- how was the squash soup?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Dismember

Thanks, I like your posts as well. I am an aspiring writer so I'm always trying to put in a little light practice wherever I can.

The soup was incredible. It was a complete experiment but the kitchen gods were smiling upon me.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Count me in folks. Day 2 in frosty Liverpool.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

...welcome sobermax . Day 2 here too. Figures its a Monday, snowing, at work. Feel weak, wasn't able to sleep at all last night. Grateful to have made it in though, not even 10AM yet and here I am on the forums!

thanks Isaiah - I was worrying about this upcoming weekend. Originally had plans to go to a big halloween party.. but why even risk it. Looking forward to a sober weekend.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Dismember

It does suck sometimes. I also had an invite to a Halloween party. But it was from someone I barely know, I wont know anyone there, and there will certainly be alcohol. It doesn't thrill me that alcoholism affects my social life like this, but I have to take what is, and staying home and watching a movie alone is better than chancing another slip.

But hey, a friend of mine has severe kidney problems after an accident, spends a lot of her time in dialysis, has to monitor her diet to the smallest degree and only just managed to be able to walk on her own again. And my problem is I have to avoid alcohol. Sometimes my ego needs a good kick in the proverbial face.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey Sarah,

Got a plan to better and prevent next time? If you have even just that then I'd say what I've said a lot here, in the long run it'll be better what you did after a relapse then what you did when you relapsed. Change is always better than a mistake. Always.

I hope I get to follow you progress from a slip to early recovery to long term recovery on this site. I know absolutely you can do it; it'll be fun to see it. Work it, girl. Work it.

-Isa
Old 10-25-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Isaiah Sarah
Do follow through on getting that support - whether it's AA or CR or what.

I hope it makes the difference for you this time
D
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hey all!
I just want to comment on the whole alcohol as a depressant thing. It can make you depressed but it also depresses your metabolism and nervous system, kind of slowing you down, while it also gets you high.

And to comment on the hypogylcemic thing..... I think that I may also be. Ever since I quit I have intense cravings for sugar, which I almost never ate while drinking. I can feel myself getting really tired when I don't eat for awile, but sugar sorts that out quite quickly. It also helps if I'm craving alcohol.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobermax View Post
Count me in folks. Day 2 in frosty Liverpool.
Ahhhh.....my home city....I still blame the Cracke and the Philharmonic for setting me on the path to ruin!!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Day one...and hopefully the last day one. Wait. Nix that hopefully bs. IT IS THE LAST DAY ONE.

I am going to join the October 2010 sobriety group. I've had so many starts and stops over the past 7 months (and many more in the past 2 1/2 years) that I can no longer count them. I am glad that I had the awful feeling of having consumed a liter of vodka within 24 hours so that I don't end up in the November group.

Thanks to all who have posted!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lilac

D
Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Dismember

Lilac, good to have you with us.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Well, this is my hundredth "first day." I found this site about a month ago and was inspired, for a day or so, until I decided that drinking was a better idea..... now that is some screwed up thinking on my part, especially as I sit here sober, with a clear head, on the back porch on a beautiful autumn evening with the crickets and frogs singing their songs. My plan is to log onto SR every day when I get home from work, for support and encouragement from others who have traveled the same path. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Mick

D
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Dismember

Welcome Mick,

You know, the hundredth first day is WAY better than the hundredth-and-first first day.

Anything you need from this cadre of drunks, we're here to provide.

-Isa