Notices

Class of October 2010 Sobriety Group

Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone. How unfair is this - I party sober with my pals from 6pm till 3am and wake up with a headache from hell!!

But I am sooooooooooooooooooo proud, I did it, I stayed sober for my 20th school reunion and never touched a drop.We went for a meal 1st which was great as I was never a good drinker when full!! Food was yummy and chat lovely. I was really focused going but when you arrive to a venue with 80 of your old school pals, I knew it could have gone either way!! It was great just to chat to everyone knowing that I was sober, In fact defo at one point I know I was drunk on the pure experience of it. There was great laughs, chats and childish giggles. I know that had I been drinking, that drinking is all I would have been doing and that would have taken a lot of concentration. It was great for my girlies not to have to pay or order a taxi as I was there to drop etc and boy the laugh I had with them was hysterical. At one point I couldnt even start the car I was laughing so much...all coming up to our 40's but I'm a year younger so there is always great banter over this!! ie they are MUCH older than me they are and I am the YOUNGEST!! Think they all loved me being sober and feeling and looking better that I had in a while. I have another pal who I know drinks quiet heavily and she arrived looking stressed, hassled and even a bit shaky...and I knew that could have been me. Thank God it wasnt.

Funny, how I watched as time went on women getting drunker and drunker, not a pretty sight and I am sure lots of them have woken up this am feeling bad But thats not how I feel

I am heading to the UK with the family tomorrow for a few days to see my sister and I am so looking forward to it. Hope you all wake up in such a positive place toooooooooooooo. Day 20 Wouldnt be able to continue with out all you guys so thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 02:49 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Wellk done Moo, and just think: if you can enjoy an occasion like that without a drink then you can enjoy any occasion without a drink!!

Where in the UK are you going?
Old 10-24-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had such a good time MooMoos

D
Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Awesome, MooMoos! Thanks for sharing your success!

stayinsober, I hope you are feeling less stressed out today. For me, taking a super-hot shower or bath is often a physical activity that can transform my stress level quickly. When that's not an option, I try deep breathing and self-massage (neck and shoulders). I'm a very physically oriented person, so this stuff does wonders for me.

Happy Sunday everyone! I'm into my fourth week of recovery. Went to an amazing AA workshop yesterday that gave me a lot of tools -- now I not only know I can live without alcohol easily for as long as I want, but I am also very excited for my future. And, in case anyone is wondering: no, I am not a religious person! I keep running into that assumption over and over when someone learns I am in AA and it's working for me. AA is NOT a religious program, or I wouldn't be here.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Dismember

Good job, Moos.

I can relate on two counts. One is how bizarre it is to be at a party sober and the way you actually notice people, realize you're actually laughing, etc. One of the great gifts of sobriety is an actual sense of presence.

And I think EVERY TIME I've gone to an event with alcohol and stayed sober I've woken up with a headache. It is solid unfair.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Moo Moos - I think you probably have the headache from laughing so much!! Just want to say how very, very proud I am that you not only made it but had the time of your life as well. (((((HUGS!!))))))) Way To Go!!!

One of the great gifts of sobriety is an actual sense of presence.
Yes indeed!!! I have noticed that, too.... as well as being able to actually feel emotions and be able to just sit with them for awhile. I have actually cried on several occasions and it feels good. I've been cramming down these tears with alcohol for a long time and it feels good to get them out.

Caribbean -- I love your quote!!! "It doesn't matter how long it's been since our last drink. What matters MORE is how close we are to our next one." Who thinks up this good stuff?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

ah thanks everyone for the good wishes. Gosh its really is bizarre to think someone in another country is willing you better. Well tjp, Isaiah, Carribean. Ultrarunner, Sarah78, Stayingsober, Dee, Carol etc etc I really need this site and I really need your posts. Funny if I drank today I feel like I would be letting you all down too!! I might not name you all when I am replying but please know that I make time in my mad world to read all your posts......go class of 10/10
Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Wellk done Moo, and just think: if you can enjoy an occasion like that without a drink then you can enjoy any occasion without a drink!!

Where in the UK are you going?

Heading to the Midlands, Nottingham, Hope the weather stays sunny as we plan on doing a few kiddie parks when there. UK is super for kids, Ireland could do with sorting its drinking culture and place more money into Parks, Playgrounds etc etc. My 3 girls love the UK and their cousins of course
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Moo Moos View Post
Heading to the Midlands, Nottingham, Hope the weather stays sunny as we plan on doing a few kiddie parks when there. UK is super for kids, Ireland could do with sorting its drinking culture and place more money into Parks, Playgrounds etc etc. My 3 girls love the UK and their cousins of course
Ah, right....not sure about the weather there but here in the South West it's quite beautiful: sunny and crisp. Hope you have a great time....sure you will :-)
Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hey Moo Moos, it was great to read your post about your Reunion! Awesome to hear you had a good time & you were sober! Well done!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Great job Moo Moos!!!! I would have had to stay home just cause I don't trust myself at this point. Yes today is a better day thanks to everyone here.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Great job Moo Moos and thanks for sharing !!!! I would have had to stay home just cause I don't trust myself at this point. And for myself,Yes today is a better day thanks to everyone here
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Congratulations everyone on a sober weekend!

I've undertaken to get one productive thing done for each day of sobriety. Doesn't have to be a big deal, just measurable. It's amazing the results: my flat has been transformed from flop house into something actually quite nice; the car is gleaming; and I'm half way through Richard Rorty's "Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature". Life is sweet right now.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Dismember

"Richard Rorty's 'Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature.'"

Clearly, you are sober! Not a book one reads with a hangover. I always enjoy Rorty even though we have solid differences.

I'm a philosophy student, I had to say something.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
"Richard Rorty's 'Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature.'"

Clearly, you are sober! Not a book one reads with a hangover. I always enjoy Rorty even though we have solid differences.

I'm a philosophy student, I had to say something.
I used to be a philosophy lecturer back in the day. I did my PhD on eliminative materialism, something Rorty was sort of in on at the birth. I have my differences with him also but he has one thing going for him that many in the western analytical tradition lack: he could write!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

I've read the AA book now what book should I be reading? I was giving the Daily Reflections (which I read daily) and I have 12 Steps 12traditions.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Isaiah - Thanks for the post with the DBT info -- I'm going to write it down as soon as I finish this. BTW, my great-grandmother was from the Polish side of Austria. Came over here and lived in the hills of Pennsylvania.

I applaud you, Moo Moos! Great job - you were also probably a great influence on some of your friends also (whether they showed it or not)...

StayinSober - Have you read 'Under the Influence' by Milam and Ketcham? It's very informative about the how's and why's of alcoholism. It's helped me to understand a whole lot about myself. How I deal with stress, is to get on here and write at least on one of the forums... write in my journal.... exercise or go out for a run (this last one usually does the trick).
Old 10-24-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Dee - thanks for reminding me to stay in 'today'. It was a little rough when I first got to my destination today. Reminded me of 'old times' of wasting the nights away - literally - kicked the cravings up. But I got ice cream instead! Of course, I'll have to work it off tomorrow - but that's ok. I'm breaking a cycle - a pattern - the familiar - and choosing another path. Feels pretty good to say that. Only have to stay two nights, then back home....
Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

@stayinsober, I also like the AA book "Living Sober." It has a lot of down-to-earth strategies for how to live in this new world of recovery.

Another idea is to get a sponsor and work through the Big Book with him or her. There's a lot in there that you discover when discussing with another person, especially one who has been through all 12 steps.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hi all, happy to join this. Currently on day one again... been on here most of the day and it sure is a great pick me up, not to mention a distraction from the horrible pains.

I came on here sometime ago, and other than come on here time to time I did nothing more to stop my drinking.

Last month I new this needs to change.. definitely exhibiting stage 3 behaviour far too often. Told friends and family, started going to AA, kept up on here, reading the big book. Learning as much as I can about this most misunderstood disease.

I messed up this weekend, I put myself in a situation where alcohol was involved.. I clearly was not ready as I wound up drunk and hating myself today in that typical horrific alcoholic true hangover mode. oww.

Not gonna give up! Will be on here doing ODAAT.. thanks