Notices

Please guys - this is for Almay777 - encouragement !

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Almay - if you find you cannot stop, try going to an AA meeting. When I think about the time I used to put into my drinking (2hours a day? 4 hours a day, 8 hours a day? How much time was spent hungover at work?), going to an hour meeting isn't so hard.

I'm now sober almost 6 months mostly b/c of AA. I think I've found the solution to my alcoholism.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Almay!
I was thinking about you today. Sending my positive energy to you. You go girl!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Almay - just want to say hello & tell you there's no doubt in my mind that you can do this! I drank for over 25 yrs. & never dreamed I could make it through the day without it. It was a lie I told myself for too long. When I came here, I was no longer alone, & found the courage to give it up.

Every day you'll feel a little better - but be kind and patient with yourself at first. Tiny baby steps, as they say. You will come out into the sunshine once again. You deserve a full life, not one spent being a slave to a substance. We are proud of you for wanting to heal - keep posting!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey almay, and for the record, we've all been right where you are. Welcome to SR!! Good luck on your journey. Don't give up on yourself, you're worth it!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't remember how many Day Ones I threw away cause I felt so bad I drank to stop the w/d... so it took me many times to get so desperate that I HAD to stop. The first few days are the worst. Take it one minute at a time if you have to. Just don't drink. If you're feeling really bad or get scared, go to the emergency room at a hospital.

It WILL get better but you have to get thru the physical w/d. Going to a meeting might be a good thing as they are all experienced at the discomfort that comes when you first stop drinking. And you wouldn't be alone, they'd be there for you, to support and encourage you.

I will keep you in my prayers that you get safely past the first three days. After that it starts to get better.

:ghug3
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

It is bright and early here, thank you all so much for your support. Almay, how did it go? Did u break through? We all still here, encouraging you, please be strong! Hugs xxx
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

To be able to overcome your battles, its important to call on a power greater than yourself, because your resources are insufficient, its imperative to call on the Omnipotence of GOD and the protection of the living CHRIST. HE has made HIS unlimited power available to you who call upon HIM in faith! Once u do this, evil will let go its grip on you and you will llive in Victory through the Power of the Holy Spirit!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Dear Almay

Don't even think day one at the minute, think hour one, hour two etc. it doesn't matter how you do it, but you will. When you get to hour 12, you've done a day and it is just for today!

Everybody is behind you 100%, we all know exactly what you are going through and how you feel. That's the good thing about S.R.

I really do think you need other help at the minute though. What about having a chat with your doctor?

I have sent you a p.m. Hope you got it and don't think too badly of me.

My thoughts are with you.

Be good to yourself!

Gx
Old 06-23-2010, 02:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Another unsucessful night. I didnt drink the usual bottle and a half of wine, but I still drank a bottle. Today I have felt better but I have felt worse. I feel like I am never going to do this. I look in the mirror and see an underweight yet bloated face (didnt realise it was possible to be both, but it is), dull eyes with a yellow tinge, and when I smile I cannot stop my bottom lip from wobbling. My hair which used to be thick and long is now fine and alot shorter despite not having it cut - this is probably a combination of booze and lack of food. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. The only time I feel there is any hope is when I see your words of encouragement and read your brave stories.
I have printed off this whole thread and tucked it in my purse. Everywhere I go today when i feel weak and tempted, I am going to read this over and over to remind myself you are all there.xx
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Almay

I'm sorry you find yourself in this cycle. The only way to get out of the cycle is to get out of the cycle and stop drinking...and if you can't do that by yourself you'll need help.

I know you work, but so do many others and they find time to go to meetings for whatever recovery groups they go to, or they find time to see a counsellor, or they attend inpatient or outpatient rehab....

It sounds trite but it's true - nothing changes if nothing changes Almay.

If you find you keep having trouble staying sober, please be honest with yourself, take a deep breath, and please - look at getting some kind of real life support

D
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Almay, sorry to hear, i really think you should also approach your partner and ask him to support your wish, not to drink, if you really wanted it deep down, you would not pick up a drink, it is not whats on the outside that counts, its the beauty within you, that needs to come out and be alive again, you are wasting away, GOD has given us so much, HE wants you to experience this abundant life for yourself, take HIS hand and go forward, ''HE hems you in - behind and before'' HE goes wherever you go and will protect you. Be Strong - SAY NO!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm back here today Almay as one of your cheerleaders. Good move by printing it out and keeping it in your purse.

Here are some of my tips for tonight:

Go see a movie. I drank every night at 5 sharp but when I would decide to go to a movie at night, I would walk out of the theater at 9, 10 pm and think "huh, I haven't had a drink tonight." I used to always drink when I got home, but I am offering this tip because it is a way to kill three of those long evening hours. When you get home, go straight to your room and lay in bed with a book until you go to sleep.

Indulge yourself with every single thing you can imagine except wine. If you like chocolate, buy an entire box. If you love hamburgers, order a double with cheese and bacon. Indulge in any and everything to make yourself more comfortable.

Will the craving be gone completely? No. But anything to take 10, 20, 30 percent of that edge off. Anything other than drinking.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

One more thing:

During my first few days, or heck, first nine days I wanted to be left alone as much as possible.

I realize that you are a mom so it might not be quite as easy. Could your husband entertain the kids for a few evenings?

Newly sober I wasn't much in the mood for conversations of any type. I found other things to occupy/distract myself with and it wasn't that bad as long as I didn't have to answer questions and other blabber from anyone else.

Be selfish your first few days.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks Melinda. I found when I stopeed for those precious 8 days before I didnt particulary want to talk. And just as it was getting better - I DRANK!!! Doesnt make any sense.

Thanks to all for your kind words. I do really want this and hope to be on here soon saying DAY 2!!X
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
Good morning all. Another unsucessful night. I didnt drink the usual bottle and a half of wine, but I still drank a bottle. Today I have felt better but I have felt worse. I feel like I am never going to do this. I look in the mirror and see an underweight yet bloated face (didnt realise it was possible to be both, but it is), dull eyes with a yellow tinge, and when I smile I cannot stop my bottom lip from wobbling. My hair which used to be thick and long is now fine and alot shorter despite not having it cut - this is probably a combination of booze and lack of food. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. The only time I feel there is any hope is when I see your words of encouragement and read your brave stories.
I have printed off this whole thread and tucked it in my purse. Everywhere I go today when i feel weak and tempted, I am going to read this over and over to remind myself you are all there.xx
Today is a new day.

I agree with the movie suggestion. I have found that a combination of fish oil (supplement) and exercise has done wonders for my depression (PPD, perhaps). With that I am gaining body awareness and comfort and find myself shaving my legs and putting on lotion. Basic self-care stuff that I had stopped. It's the little things that help us feel more alive.

You sound terribly depressed and I'm sure you know that alcohol doesn't help that. Can you go back to the doctor? Have you ever taken anti-depressants?

This is the first time I've tried to give up alcohol that I've been reasonably successful. And I know it's because I've tackled the underlying issue (depression and a little ADD). You can, too.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I've started looking after myself a bit better too. Shaving my legs, loads of moisuriser, walking, washing my hair more often,getting my clothes ready at night for the next day, matching earrings and necklaces ets and a bit of make up. Just keeping myself as busy as poss.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi almay - Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you today. Have you thought about talking to a doctor to help with withdrawals? It can't be easy working and caring for a child every day, and you probably don't see any way you could go to treatment. But you may want to look into it anyway.

I had two small children when I went to treatment and to my surprise, my husband was able to manage without me! It's not easy, I know, but just imagine if you needed to go into the hospital for an operation. When you think about it, it's really not that much different. We have a disease that will definitely kill us if we don't stop.

How does your husband feel about all this?

Stay close to SR and keep posting. We're all behind you.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
I found when I stopeed for those precious 8 days before I didnt particulary want to talk. And just as it was getting better - I DRANK!!! Doesnt make any sense.
It makes perfect sense to me, Almay.

Like you I would quit and feel great, fully determined to forever remain sober.

Then I would drink again and all the horror, the shame, the pain, the remorse would happen over again and worse.

I learned in AA that this is because I have a strange mental obsession where it comes to alcohol. I cannot remember the suffering of the last time that I drunk. I cannot remember why I swore off forever after my last drink and because of this I would always end up picking up the drink again depsite all my best efforts not too.

There is a solution in AA to remove this mental obsession to drink by a program of recovery. Not only that but AA offers the alcoholic real life face to face support. It really can be invaluable to many alcoholics. There are many alcoholics in AA like you who like to isolate and be on their own - so they understand exactly how you feel.

I see very often people walk in the door really not wanting to be there, anxious, shakey, close to panic through withdrawal - and yet they are always glad at the end of the meeting that they made it there. From being there they learn how important it is to be surrounded by people who care, accept them and most importantly understand exactly how it feels to be so hopeless.

I hope you can reach out and get some help, Almay.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by mamm View Post
if you really wanted it deep down, you would not pick up a drink

Hi Mamm,

If getting sober was just a question of really wanting it deep down, then all alcoholics would be able to get sober.

I wanted it more than anything in the world when I was trying to quit and I would guess the same applies to all those who post here trying to quit and to Almay too.

I know it can be very difficult to understand what drives an alcoholic to drink. It baffles most alcoholics as well as those who are not. But it is not lack of wanting to be sober.

Alcoholism is a baffling illness and it is far reaching, affecting those around the alcoholic as well as the alcoholic themselves. I know that you are very concerned about your husband and I truly hope he can find his way back to sobriety again.

Al-anon has an amazing program and fellowship for those affected by someone close who is alcoholic. I hope that you would consider it if you don't already go. Not only is it great for the person who is going but I often hear how grateful alcoholics are that their loved ones go to Al-anon - because it helps the alcoholic too in their recovery - and that ultimately is what the loved ones really want.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning Almay, what did you do last night, that was different? How are you doing this morning?

Today's Affirmations:
Today is my day to dance lightly with life
I invite rainbows & butterflies out to play.
I walk today's march with courage

Keep posting, we still here! Hugs xxx