Notices

Please guys - this is for Almay777 - encouragement !

Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Almay and know that it will get better. Hang in there

Life is so much better through sobriety and it can be done.

Take it one day at a time my friend.

Keep posting.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

When I first came into AA, I got a beginner's pack which included a little card with a prayer printed on it called Just For Today. This part of it may be helpful for you at this stage. "Just for today, I will try to live through this day only and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime."

The other thing is that my sponsor said I could split up the day into small parts if I want to. So for example, try to avoid alcohol for the next three hours, then the next three hours and so on.

This morning, I woke up without a hangover, picked up some fruit and a banana smoothie, said a prayer and arrived in work early. I also looked through the list of AA meetings that I want to go to this weekend. I shall try to attend one on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If I follow that programme, I'm going to feel grateful and satisfied.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

[QUOTE=
This morning, I woke up without a hangover, picked up some fruit and a banana smoothie, said a prayer and arrived in work early. I also looked through the list of AA meetings that I want to go to this weekend. I shall try to attend one on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If I follow that programme, I'm going to feel grateful and satisfied.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to congratulate you, it must have been a wonderful feeling and gave u a good start to your day! Keep it up. Keep posting, we will support you to. Hugs
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am going to get help today. I am not sure where or how but i am going to get help. This cannot go on anymore. All I have to do is one day and I am so helpless and pathetic I cant do it. This is stupid I have to do this. Just one day. Thats all I want!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Keep us posted Almay.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by almay777 View Post
I am going to get help today. I am not sure where or how but i am going to get help. This cannot go on anymore. All I have to do is one day and I am so helpless and pathetic I cant do it. This is stupid I have to do this. Just one day. Thats all I want!
You are not pathetic and you are not helpless.

A visual that used to help me calm myself. I'd imagine myself in that moment on a deserted beach in warm, early morning sun. And I'd see a vision of an older, sober, calm version of myself. Walking towards me to take me by the hand.

I did this to calm myself during those middle of the night panic attacks. And honestly I'd still drink that night. But slowly, slowly I believe she helped me to grow. And now I don't wake at night anymore. Or, not to panic, anyway!

You can do it!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The LORD never promised that our lives would be free from problems, but HE did promise to be there for us, at all times and to help us over the hurdles. - Knowing you don't have to tackle the afflictions of life on your own is a comforting and reassuring thought. - When problems mar our view and put you under pressure, turn to CHRIST. HE is your heavenly companion, overcome your problems in the peace of HIS presence. - GOD has gven you a wonderful gift to help you remain steadfast and to overcome personal fear!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Almay?

D
Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Almay. How are you? Did you manage to get some help? I hope you did, I thing you will feel better for having some help. Keep posting, you will get there soon! Gxx
Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Morning Almay, I hope you were able to find some help and are feeling better this am. Keep trying.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than
unsuccessful people with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

While going through a very tough time of relapse, I was told- "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". So for your sake, and your children, I hope you are desperately thirsty for a way to quit drinking forever. I hope you seek and find a program- AA, SMART Recovery, or something, that works for you. My thoughts will be with you.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Almay - instead of going to the kitchen for the bottle - give yourself 15 minutes. In that 15 minutes come onto the SR forum. You can lurk - or you can post - but just do that first. I know different things work for different people but that is really working for me so far. Good luck! xxx
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Morning All - thanks for still being here despite my poor attempts to stay sober. Right, I got drunk last night (like I always do) and feel hungover today (like I always do). BUT.....something inside me has changed. I told my partner last night (whilst drunk) that I hated drinking, I hated what it did to me and I hated how I always felt. AND....he has binned all alcohol!!! There is no more drink in my house. None at all. So today truely is going to be day 1. And I am scared. Excited but scared. I have already forgotton what to expect on my first day. One thing I do know though is I am NOT going to drink.
It is very difficult for me to get to a computer at the weekend but i am carrying you all with me in both my head and heart. You are the only true friends I have at the moment. Thanks for putting up with me.x
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Almay - that's great news - and your partner sounds really supportive. One of the first things I did was put myself in the now moment with the words I used. I "am" an alcoholic (I used for the first week, now I "am" a recovering alcoholic). When offered alcohol I say "no thanks, I don't drink". That's because it starts RIGHT NOW.

You can do it, you really can. But if you can't get to a computer, and if this is your main form of support, I personally would advise you to have other support mechanisms in place that you can access at any time. This might be AA (a sponsor) or a counsellor or simply filling every single moment of your day. x x x
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Morning Almay. I'm so proud of you. I'm glad you told your husband, even though you needed that bit of 'dutch courage' to do so. Well done. I reckon he will support you through this. Now you've managed to tell him how you feel, try reiterating what you said to him while you're sober, just so he knows it wasn't just the dring talking. You will do this, you know and we are all 100% behind you. I will p.m you when I get a bit more time.

Lots of love and be kind to yourself.

Gxxxx
Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hi, Almay! I am proud of you doing so well. Early day are most difficult for quit drinking. Then gradually it will get easier and easier. We are staying with you. Good luck and have a nice weekend!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi Almay, this is wonderful news, well done for taking the first step. Just remember as Grace said, tell your H again when u sober. We right behind you. I am glad your husband did that for you. Step 1. Perhaps, when u have completed your day one, you can start your own thread and we can congratulate you! You can do this!!! Enjoy your week end.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I'm so happy to hear that! One day at a time - you can do it!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I dont really eat alot (used to be quite big and lost a lot of weight. Was 13 stone now 8stone 7lbs). So I am worried that I will over eat to replace the drink and wind up being big again. However through my first 7 days I am going to let myself eat whatever I want as long as it stops me drinking. I have just eaten the best part of a whole packet of chocolate biscuits (although I dont recommend this - feel quite sick now) but eating them biscuits stopped me going to the pub on my lunch break.
I feel quite tired at the moment and have cramps in my tummy. I am hoping I will get through this evening without too many nasty withdrawals. I am praying that on Monday I can start my own thread and call it.... Day 4.xx
Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Yes, you may eat whatever you want as long as you stop drinking. Sobriety is our first priority. Alcohol makes us mad. I sometimes have craving. Then I drink coca cola as much as I want. Craving is getting less and less lately. At early days of stop drinking, do not worry about anything other than alcohol. As AA said, hungry is one of the trigger of drink. You are doing very well. Keep posting and reading. Help others helps yourself as well.