Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well I've been sober since Saturday...this Saturday, so going on five days. I woke up feeling like I wanted to die. Both physically and mentally. It scared me. I don't want to wake up dead or in the hospital after a night of drinking. I don't have to drink on a daily basis, but I have really strong triggers to drink alcohol and I can not just have one drink. I binge drink. I drink to get drunk when I drink. I can't just have one. I will drink till I can't drink anymore. I'll black out - pass out, puke, smoke cigarettes. I can't do this anymore. I'm going to be 32 in a couple weeks and I have a loving husband, and two kids who need me. I have a 4 year old daughter and 10 month old son. This weekend scared me. I was hung over for three days. I thought I would be alright if I drank beer. Wrong. My husband told me that I woke up lost several times looking for the bathroom in my own house and I fell on the toilet. I also walked out prancing around buck naked in front of my mother in law. This is the first of many incidents and I am just sick of it and frankly quite scared of this destruction. I've met the traditional alcoholic definition since I was 14 years old when I ended up getting knocked up. I can go on and on. I will spare the drama. I always say I'm going to quit drinking or "I'm never drinking again" till the next time when I hear a rockin' song or my neighbors are outside grilling or if I just feel like having a beer. I'm ready to make a change. I need this if I want to survive. Thanks for having me. I look forward to meeting you all.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Darlynn

I found the support here a great help - I think we reach a point where we just know we can't do it anymore...

good to have you with us
D
Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, lots of great support here.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and a wonderful group of people that understand what you are going through & are here to help you along you path of recovery.

Stay close to SR & keep sharing, you can do this.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome. You are in the right place. We are glad you joined us.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RGO

Thumbs up Welcome darlynn

Welcome Darlynn

You have done the right decision and you are in the right place. I have only been sober for 19 days, but this site has helped a lot!

Believe in yourself, you will get better!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support and good information here to help you get and stay sober. I'm glad you joined the family.:ghug3
Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! I still rock out..but now I always remember it you won't lose "you" if you're sober..in fact you might actually find her.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Darlynn!

Boy can I ever relate to how you feel. I have done and said so many inapporopriate things while drinking that I don't even know how I will ever be able to get over them.

But, I know that if I don't drink I will be able to handle them one day. And if I do drink I will create even MORE embarassing horrible events in my life.

I have 7 days today...after day 5 i started feeling a bit better physically. I hope you do too. Hang in there and keep it up! You're doing great!!!

Steven
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Darlynn - Good to have you with us. Take things a day at a time and keep reading and posting. You can do this, and we're here for support!:ghug3
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You have our support and just take it one day at a time. You have many reason in addition to yourself for stopping and I am so glad to see that you quit.

There is tons of great info and experience here and post away!! You are not alone.

Looking forward to your sober journey!!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome darlynn! You have made a great decision. A lot of people on here can relate to a lot of what you wrote. You are not alone. Stay with us and let us now how it is going.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You were not hungover you were having withdrawal symptoms. Stop drinking now!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
You were not hungover you were having withdrawal symptoms. Stop drinking now!
I also absolutely believe you were in alcohol withdrawal. The next step in this progression is the DTs - Delirium Tremens. The DTs have a 35% mortality rate if not medically treated, which is why a lot of us here harp on people who are quitting to go see a Dr or go to the ER.

Delirium tremens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-04-2010, 04:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ALF

Welcome.....
I'm a beer drinker too, but I'm on day 11 thanks to SR.
You can do it. Stay focused, stay strong.
Best of luck!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Darlynn. It sounds like you found the right place to get you started. I too started drinking at a very young age and am just now in my recovery getting to the bottom of it as far as the reasons. I have been going to counseling and it has helped me tremendously in knowing that part of the reasons is I never learned how to deal with the anxiety life threw at me. I also took the road of alcohol and stopped growing up right at that moment. I have a lot to learn and a lot to catch up on but I regret nothing because it all took what I walked through to get me to this moment.

You can reach it too. You'll need to give 100 percent of yourself to recovery efforts. What will it take to get you through those cravings? Will an online support group do the trick or do you need a face to face support group? Do you need to look into counseling? Just some thoughts, but for today don't drink. Make that promise today.

See you around SR and again, welcome.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
part time member

Lots of encouragement and information on this site.

I too would wake up in the morning and say I had to quit but by nightfall I had forgotten how bad I felt and would do it all over again. I finally said enough. You have 5 days under your belt. You don't want to relive those do you? Keep going...just don't drink today.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Coming to SR is a great start!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

21 days and going strong. You can do this too.

I joined this group a while ago ad today is the 21th day without alcohol. My husband and I both stopped drinking and SR is a great help.

Welcome to this group. Chill and go one day at a time. It will only get better.