Notices

Big changes...

Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us self esteem issues I think - which we then feed with our drinking.
I think the counsellor will help with that.

Don't get scared - this place is jam packed full of people who haven't failed, Steve
D
Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mmeat View Post
Thanks everyone! I know I can do it. I was thinking about basIam's post-----"I wish I had better news for you, but you are probably going to die from this. Despite every intention you have to stay sober, you will most likely fail."------
I can't help but feel that was a little uncalled for. I've been on SR for a few months and see people who post with stories of ruined lives.....no jobs....on crack/heroin...desperation at it's worst. These people get positive feedback, support and positivity. Just like I do with most everyone replies to my situation( THank you) But to tell me I`m going to likely fail and die! Thanks.
This is kind of how my sponsor would put it and it does not translate well at all from actuallly hearing it to reading it as a post, why not go down to an AA meeting and check out what they are talking about.

If you are an alcoholic, like me, then the fact is, at this present moment in time, you are ****** and you have a very bleak future ahead of you, regardleess of what you believe. If you can accept the severity of your situation, ignore people that try and pat you on the shoulder and tell you it will be ok, and act now on finding a program of recovery then you stand a chance at a happy, joyous and free existence (that's an understatement actually):-)

Have you been to AA? Nothing wrong with going to a counselor too at all...but why not go and check out some meetings as well...another string to your bow right? cos you are serious about this!

One thing that was said is that most do not make it, that does not mean that you have to be one of them...keep in mind most don't die quick as well, they have a miserable ****** up life to look forward to for years...destroying everything and anyone that come into their lives before eventually to the relief of everyone that has known them they die, basically, alone.

So bit of a good news/bad news scenario going on for you, there is a solution but it's up to you how bad you want it! Good luck:-)
Old 12-19-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I sincerely appreciate all the replies I think I will look into an AA meeting once my back is healed up and I'm able to move around comfortably. It's broken.

I'm going to try to get through the Christmas holidays without alcohol. I normally have very strong willpower and was able to give up the smoking when I wanted to, as well as discipline myself to lose and maintain almost 80 pounds worth of fat loss.

I just need to do the same thing with beer!!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

HaHa

I always commend anyone for quoting the book. This is important for me to remember to do this as well because I'm not a doctor, psychiatrist, counselor, or any of those things. But I still find myself trying to play those roles, which can be dangerous, to myself and others. My best advice and attempts to "self-help" landed me in AA. (Self-medicate? Now I am am expert at that...) And I didn't get sober in AA until I followed the directions in the book. So what do I know?

However, this thread is also a good reminder for me that more than anything we have to carry the message of hope. It's hard to live very long without hope.

Here's some of the good news:
p. 15
"There is scarcely any form of trouble and misery which has not been overcome among us."
p. 16
"Most of us feel we need look no further for Utopia. We have it with us right here and now."
p. 17
"The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism."

Most of the good news is in the 2nd half of the book, as most of the first 1/2 deals with Step 1. They went to great lengths to try to beat home the message of step 1 for hardheads like me.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Steve,

I'm as stubborn as they come - I have a ton of willpower....and booze beat me every single time.

It's not about willpower IMO.

What is was about, for me, was acceptance. I had to accept I was an alcoholic, and that every drink, sooner or later, ended up the same way, and pushed me a little deeper into the mire.

Acceptance alone wasn't enough, but it was a start.

I still had the insanity of wanting to do it anyway, but now I knew to reach out to other people and work on my recovery so that didn't happen.

Thats where the support comes in. Whatever you choose to use - AA, SMART, Life Ring, counselling....whatever....you should look into it ASAP, man.

And keep posting here
D
Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mmeat View Post
Thanks everyone! I know I can do it. I was thinking about basIam's post-----"I wish I had better news for you, but you are probably going to die from this. Despite every intention you have to stay sober, you will most likely fail."------
I can't help but feel that was a little uncalled for. I've been on SR for a few months and see people who post with stories of ruined lives.....no jobs....on crack/heroin...desperation at it's worst. These people get positive feedback, support and positivity. Just like I do with most everyone replies to my situation( THank you) But to tell me I`m going to likely fail and die! Thanks.
Hey mmeat, my intent is just to tell you the truth about alcoholism. I would love to tell you "hey its gonna be ok, hang in there!" but history proves that this is typically not the case. To reinforce a positive outlook, at the stage it appears that you are in, would be of no help to you, or others in your position.

I am glad I got you thinking, and uncomfortable. Now that you have had a moment to digest what I have said, here's the good news:
There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.
Alcoholics Anonymous, "There is a Solution" P. 25
Alcoholism kills most that are afflicted. To overcome it takes drastic action. Many alcoholics die believing that things are going to be alright. To recover, one must understand the true nature of their predicament.

Please understand, my intent is not to instill resignation but to spur immediate action.

Sometimes the best answer to "So what are you going to do?" is simply "I don't know! Please Help!"

Good Luck, mmeat
Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks again guys. Dee, your words always hit home for me so much. basIam...I figured as much your intentions were good. You want me to realize the seriousness of what is occuring in my life. I'm in the early stages and I see what is happening and know I need to nip this in the bud before it goes any further.

I saw a quote somewhere the other day, and I'd really like to live by it. It was " Live your life as you would like your children to."
Thanks everyone
Steve