Thread: Big changes...
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Stereosteveo
Nonexistent Willpower

HaHa

I always commend anyone for quoting the book. This is important for me to remember to do this as well because I'm not a doctor, psychiatrist, counselor, or any of those things. But I still find myself trying to play those roles, which can be dangerous, to myself and others. My best advice and attempts to "self-help" landed me in AA. (Self-medicate? Now I am am expert at that...) And I didn't get sober in AA until I followed the directions in the book. So what do I know?

However, this thread is also a good reminder for me that more than anything we have to carry the message of hope. It's hard to live very long without hope.

Here's some of the good news:
p. 15
"There is scarcely any form of trouble and misery which has not been overcome among us."
p. 16
"Most of us feel we need look no further for Utopia. We have it with us right here and now."
p. 17
"The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism."

Most of the good news is in the 2nd half of the book, as most of the first 1/2 deals with Step 1. They went to great lengths to try to beat home the message of step 1 for hardheads like me.