Notices

Is AA the right way! Not for me.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Since I joined these boards I have noticed many of these threads and I cant help wondering why so many?? I hear a lot of people explain the reasons why A.A does not work for them....why the need I wonder. Why does it bother people so much? I mean how important is it?? I tried lots of ways to get sober that did not work for me, ......I just moved on. Maybe people could share how long they are sober, and happy ,and content, and the ways in which they achieved long term soberity. is that not really what is been looked for here??
Oh Nelco,

Finally, the voice of reason. I just want to scoop you up, steal you away.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

To answer your question Nelco,

I'm a newbe. Just short of 5 months sober. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by nelco View Post
Since I joined these boards I have noticed many of these threads and I cant help wondering why so many?? I hear a lot of people explain the reasons why A.A does not work for them....why the need I wonder. Why does it bother people so much?
Many people, especially in the US, have had AA (and other 12-Step entities) pushed, if not outright forced on them. IMO, that in itself, explain a lot.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

In the US don't you guys have something like if you get a DUI, instead of going to jail you get to be forced to go to AA meetings??? Those bastards at AA! I'd bang you up, let you sweat it a bit hehe FYI in Spain if i got caught drunk driving i would be in the local prison doing 4 weeks, don't have anyone from AA working with the authories here to give alchies an easy way out;-)
Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nelco View Post
Since I joined these boards I have noticed many of these threads and I cant help wondering why so many?? I hear a lot of people explain the reasons why A.A does not work for them....why the need I wonder.
I think they're trying to convince themselves more than anything by typing what they type. It strengthens their own sobriety through whatever method they choose. That would be my guess. Needs of the newcomer be damned.
Warning, blindley spouting off about AA might give someone a pre-conceived notion to a program that actually might work for them. But who really cares about someone else and what might work for them? As long as someone gets a chance to spout off with some prideful boast. That's what matters more than anything.
I felt the same way before I became involved with AA. I'm glad I'm done with that kind of thinking.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
In the US don't you guys have something like if you get a DUI, instead of going to jail you get to be forced to go to AA meetings???
It's not instead of going to jail. Treatment, which is most often 12-Step, may be in lou of jail, but even if you do your time, probation often requires it as well as the departments of transportation and licensing. There have been legal battles over it, and in some states it's already been fought and won. In fact, government agencies have been successfully sued for damages.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks DK i didn't know thats how it worked and see what you mean by being forced to go! Just trying to think of alternatives as i think it is always quite easy to get booze if you want to...hmmm...ok how about giving people an option AA or daily morning blood test with threat of 12 months in federal 'pound me up the ass' prison if alcohol is present in test, win win no pound up the botbot for dui boy/girl and AA gets a better rep?!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Thanks DK i didn't know thats how it worked and see what you mean by being forced to go! Just trying to think of alternatives as i think it is always quite easy to get booze if you want to...hmmm...ok how about giving people an option AA or daily morning blood test with threat of 12 months in federal 'pound me up the ass' prison if alcohol is present in test, win win no pound up the botbot for dui boy/girl and AA gets a better rep?!
LOL @ "pound me..."!

They just need to offer secular treatment and peer support alternatives is all.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
I think they're trying to convince themselves more than anything by typing what they type. It strengthens their own sobriety through whatever method they choose. That would be my guess. Needs of the newcomer be damned.
Warning, blindley spouting off about AA might give someone a pre-conceived notion to a program that actually might work for them. But who really cares about someone else and what might work for them? As long as someone gets a chance to spout off with some prideful boast. That's what matters more than anything.
I felt the same way before I became involved with AA. I'm glad I'm done with that kind of thinking.

I strongly believe that our members care very much about the needs of other members and of all the newcomers.

And, I have not noticed any 'prideful boasts'.

But, I guess it's all in the way that you look at it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

The very title of this thread and the original post is a testament to what I posted. It's just one of many.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

It's written somewhere, that if you give yourself willingly to the program you can maintain sobriety. If you don't - there are no definitive answers. Live and Let Live.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

That's right Doorknob,

I believe it's 6 states to date where Circuit Courts and one Supreme Court has deemed AA a religious organization and can no longer "presecribe" AA. It's against the First Amendment.

Further, just recently The Secretary of State Appeals Dept. is now accepting 'Smart Recovery' in Michigan as an alternative.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Personally, I have never tried to dissuade anyone from trying or continuing to utilize AA for their recovery. I think newcomers should be provided with as many perspectives as possible, and believe that they are capable of deciding for themselves what is right for them. They are not sheep.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
That's right Doorknob,

I believe it's 6 states to date where Circuit Courts and one Supreme Court has deemed AA a religious organization and can no longer "presecribe" AA. It's against the First Amendment.

Further, just recently The Secretary of State Appeals Dept. is now accepting 'Smart Recovery' in Michigan as an alternative.
Lincoln County, in Washinton State, will have it's very first LifeRing meeting tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Is it possible, do you think, to reframe this discussion? It currently asks, Is AA the right way?" And answers, "No!" and then people go on to list why.

What if instead of zeroing in on one particular program and seeming to ask for negative feed-back, what if........

..... we asked ourselves what are the programs that work for each of us and why?

I mean, why zero in on one program and set it up for people to throw paint balls at?

Why do I read again and again these critiques? I'm tired of them. Let's see how we do with positive statements about what works for us. Instead of telling others how the program they are happily and successfully working is not right for them, let's ask what works about their program.

I don't know. I'm tired.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Cool

Originally Posted by lovinmenow View Post
...I have to have control of my recovery...

I also WILL NOT surrender my self to to booze. Forget that! When you fight you don't surrender for any reason. I believe I can fight it and I refuse to call myself an alcholic forever. When I deem myself recovered I will label myself "a person who does not drink."

It took a lot of thought to come up with this since...
I share a few of the notions you have about recovery.

I too have control over what direction I will take my recovery in. For me its about seeking the resources needed for an effective treatment. I take an empowerment approach.
"The 16-step empowerment model is a wholistic approach to overcoming addiction that views people in their wholeness-- mind, body and spirit. A fundamental basis of this model is flexibility and an openness which leads to continually ask: What works? Who does it work for? and How can we help it work better? It encourages people to be continually open to new information and not to become trapped in dogmatic teachings. At its core, this model is based on love not fear; internal control not external authoritarianism; affirmation not deflation; and trust in the ability of people to find their own healing path when given education, support, hope and choices."

-Dr. Charlotte Kasl, Ph.D.
Like Dr. Kasl's approach to addiction treatment, I remain open to include the best of the new and old treatment procedures and resources. That and I take full ownership of my choices, success and failures in recovery. Rather than seeing addiction as something I'm powerless over or outside of my influences, I see myself the agent of change.

Surrender dose connote a negative stance to me. Rather than surrendering or maybe seeing addiction as external locus of control that I summit to, I deepen my internal resolve. A resolve to learn positive living skills that aid my efforts in recovery.

As for self-labels, if one finds them useless...by all means drop them. I believe is unnecessary to categorize oneself in the first place...but for clarity when in the company of like others..I don't mind.

And I have said this before..."my best thinking keeps me in recovery". Learning new life skills..skills that create the good life starts from ones best thinking. When I hear others in recovery state that their thinking is...well...stinky...it has me a bit put off by them..LOL.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds." ~Will Durant
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I agree with Mle. It gets tedious.I've said before-I really don't care if standing on your head all day or sleeping with chickens(sorry-my inane mind at work) keeps you sober.Whatever works.Seriously.It doesn't have to be 'us and them'. We each have our own path.Wherever you find refuge, comfort, hope and a continued committment to living a sober life?I'm all for it.

Jules.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I have been taught to define what works and what doesn't and why. As long as there is a free exchange of ideas, opinions and thought that is not vicious...I can handle a little critical thinking...

Flaming or trolling is another subject all together...so far I haven't seen any of that.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Mle the thread title is actually is aa the answer? not for me!

I think this opens things up for people who don't know that aa is not the only game in town.

I wouldn't personally do down aa but I think it is important for others to know that it is not the only option.

The reason aa comes in for so much flak is that a lot of people, myself included, are not told about other options when they first decide to become sober, getting as much information out there as possible is one way that we can all help newcomers.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Many people, especially in the US, have had AA (and other 12-Step entities) pushed, if not outright forced on them. IMO, that in itself, explain a lot.
Are you talking about court ordered?