Notices

Running / walking / fitness for sobriety.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

3 mile run/walk....it's hot .
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Lunchtime - Rode 13 glorious miles through the countryside on this awesome early fall day.

Mark
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

out of the blue i joined the gym on monday,i got my induction and stayed a little after.then i have been twice more this week.this is a huge step for me.im delighted,i actually got a small buzz for a little while too today
Old 09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charmie View Post
i actually got a small buzz for a little while too today
You found us out!! Damn endorphins....

Good stuff isn't it... and it's natural and good for you too!!

Mark
Old 09-25-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

yipee,well i decided in all areas of life,if nothing changes nothing changes,,i think praying for courage to change helped too
Old 09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

5.5 mile Friday afternoon run, 72F degrees, sunny.

This might be the last sunny warm day for a while.

YEEEEE HAW... three months in a row with over 100 miles of running each.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Everyone,

Even though I don't usually post on this thread, I walk, everyday, a lot. It's something that has helped me so much, on so many levels in my recovery.

On Sunday, my son-in-law is running a marathon. I am so excited to be going to watch him finish. He has been training for months and I am so proud of him.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

22 miles... Ugh; back up to 99 degrees in the valley of the sun. 14 mph avg. Approx. 1300 cal burn. 5 lb water weight loss. Should look good in my little black dress though ( just kidding... I'm a guy). Endorphins = current DOC. Great to see some new posters here!!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Played tennis today. I decided to cycle to it. It's the first time I've really pushed myself on a real bike for a while. It was tough and I now have a sore back but it brought back memories. I have to do some more real cycling again. Might ever think about buying a new bike for spring.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Endorphins keep me runnin.

I'm having trouble running past the 10 mile mark. Its a barrier that my knees and feet dont want to break through yet. I've only been running for 3 months so maybe the feet and knees need more time. Its just joint pain rather than a lack of endurance. I believe I could run more if I took a few Motrin but I'm uncomfortable with that idea.

Very addicting. Very therapeutic. I can think of great one-liners while running and then forget about them 2 minutes later !
Old 09-26-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  
jimbo

THANKS TO MY DAUGHTERS CONSTANT NAGGING ME ABOUT MY SURPLUSS LARD FACTOR.... X L FACTOR

we have joined a gym

i'm still quite muscly but i'm unfit if i changed my mind i'd probably need a rest

the thought of going into the gym being so unfit and well oldish is quite worrying

in fact if i had not paid for it i would probably chicken out

i have FM too which moderate excercise is spozed to help with

ok guys do's and dont's list needed

ok donts first

dont think think the cute young blond is checking you out she probably has never seen a guy go purple before just warming up

dont think coz you could do 300 push ups and run 10 miles 20 years ago you can manage the stairs without a rest

any other tips before i go into the GYM
Old 09-26-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

ummm...

Dont go overboard with the fruits and vegetables before the gym. That could have far reaching consequences on your EGO!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by c49999 View Post
ummm...

Dont go overboard with the fruits and vegetables before the gym. That could have far reaching consequences on your EGO!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I saw this quote on runnersworld.com:

"I run now," says Todd Wilson, "because there was a day when I couldn't and there will probably be a day when I can't."

My thoughts exactly. Some people, and occasionally my own mind thoughts, tell me I shouldn't do so much physical fitness because muscle eventually turns to flab, and there will come a day when I can no longer run.

Seriously negative thinking... but it occurs.

I started running less than five years ago (after about a 10 year layoff where I thought I could never run again due to shin splints), and the first time I ran 3 miles (it was HARD... I really had to push my endurance) I was so proud of myself that I called some friends and told them of my 3 mile run accomplishment. It was unbelievable to them and to me.

Now I am over 25 miles per week running 4-5 time a week, and over 100 miles per month.

Unbelievable... as unbelievable as a life without drugs and/or alcohol.

Old dogs... new tricks... just for today!

If YOU don't start a fitness program you'll never finish one.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

this thread is giving me a brilliant push! im going to the gym again tommorow,im aiming for 3 to 4 times a week,for about an hour.i just did 40 minutes on friday,i did 15 mins fast walking on the treadmill (1.5km),the bike for 10 minutes,3 sets of weights,rowing machine and i managed a whole 5 minutes on the stepper! this is brilliant for me,i havent done any proper exercise for years! i only managed 3 mins on the stepper my first day,so i was delighted to do the whole 5,i know now i can do it,so no excuses!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

I was not planning to run today, rainy, windy... then around 4:00PM the sun came out.

5.5 mile run... couldn't resist.

Good habits are so hard to break...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
I saw this quote on runnersworld.com:

"I run now," says Todd Wilson, "because there was a day when I couldn't and there will probably be a day when I can't."

My thoughts exactly. Some people, and occasionally my own mind thoughts, tell me I shouldn't do so much physical fitness because muscle eventually turns to flab, and there will come a day when I can no longer run.

Seriously negative thinking... but it occurs.

I started running less than five years ago (after about a 10 year layoff where I thought I could never run again due to shin splints), and the first time I ran 3 miles (it was HARD... I really had to push my endurance) I was so proud of myself that I called some friends and told them of my 3 mile run accomplishment. It was unbelievable to them and to me.

Now I am over 25 miles per week running 4-5 time a week, and over 100 miles per month.

Unbelievable... as unbelievable as a life without drugs and/or alcohol.

Old dogs... new tricks... just for today!

If YOU don't start a fitness program you'll never finish one.
Can i ask how you got over your shin splints? i suffer with them very easy. As soon as I get over my ankle ligaments injury i want to start running again.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

I was told that shin slints occur due to uphill & downhill running (and especially the downhill part due to the toe being so far forward). I studied the logic and learned how uphill/downhill running stretches out the muscles in the shin.

I ran for a full year on a flat track, then avoided hills when I did get back out on the pavement.

This year I bought a $140.00 pair of Asics Gel Kayano 15 shoes, I'm running hills again, but going very slowly & tenderly on the downhill portion. So far so good.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Interesting thoughts on the shins. I figured I would return to my bike when running got too painful. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Could only spend 75 minutes at the gym today. I planned to run 8k in 40 minutes but instead ran the fastest 5k I've run in the past 3 years. I exhausted myself and had to decrease the speed so much that I only got to 7.8k in 40 minutes. Not sure if I should be happy or sad with this, a fast 5k but a slow 8k. Did 40 chins to finish up.