Notices

Support for those without a group.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am in. Face to face is to hard for me (now)
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Wonderful idea, Bam.

My day's been surreal. My nice, soft-spoken coworker who wears women's clothes was just arrested for battery.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

OMG Telly - that is surreal....

D
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

No kidding, D. He called in 'sick' today, and then we saw the story on the news. Poor guy had to wear baggy jail clothes for his mugshot.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

This is a Great Idea Thanx Bambooze I'm in
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Bam, and thanks for starting this! I'm in!

I'm in my NYC hotel room for the night now. I had a couple of small freak outs earlier today... the first one when I walked past the airport bar at 8 a.m. (and saw people in there drinking)... then again when I landed in NYC and walked past about four bars... then when I finally got to my hotel (5 1/2 hours later, long story) and walked past the hotel bar... get the picture?

Then at dinner of course my mom asked me if I wanted wine, then if I wanted a cocktail (when I said no to the wine). Ugh. Just a short "Nah" ended it tonight but I'll be curious how the next 3 days go with her.

Everywhere I look it's just BAR BAR BAR BAR BAR. I'm ok now that I'm in my fuzzy jammies and in a comfy bed, but dang.

Anyway, thanks for the thread.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Count me in!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sounds really great. Thank you for starting the group!! Can't wait.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

TSH - You will be in my thoughts and my prayers for the next 3 days. Stay strong and remember why you quit. You can do it hon. Breathe - breathe - breathe!! We are all routing for you!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

count me in too!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

How's it goin', Bam Bam?

DK
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Uhm - could we make that "rooting" versus "routing?" I know nimwit! Now is that spelled right? Is nimwit a word. Sorry!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

((Trying))

Yeah, there are a LOT of bars, and it's hard NOT to notice them when you no longer drink. Like HL said..just breathe, and keep walking. If you don't want your mom to know why you're not drinking, just tell her something like it's been really upsetting your stomach and you're taking a break, or something. That way she won't keep asking you if you want a drink.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Bam,

Thanks and I'm in too (although I am a groupie -- RR.)!

Today is good! I had a huge party at my house last night, no fights, no drunks, and no hangovers! Life is good and am starting to live it -- 14 days sober today - YEAH! I'm going to help give out food to the hungry now and reflect on how much I truly have to be grateful for today and being sober and "there"!

Hugs,
Nicki

:atv
Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Okay where is our Bam??
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yep, I'm in. THANKS!

Trying....stay strong, girl! You're doing GREAT! Airports are so hard. Not sure why, they charge you an arm and a leg and then you think you have to have 12 of them. You'd think that would be the cure, right there!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi y'all...

GAWD, if my mom asks me if I want to go to the hotel bar for a drink one more time I might just pull my hair out! Or hers! LOL

So far so good, though. I just say, "Nah" or "Not now" or "Let's go back to the room first" and that has stopped it. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I sent my husband an email asking him to send me text messages with suggestions for mocktails so that I can at least order something other than a Diet Coke (because - ACK - they have Diet Pepsi everywhere here and I hate that crap! LOL) and maybe get my mom off my case a little. Maybe she will feel better if I have something fruity and sparkly in my hand, who knows.

We will (hopefully) be busybusy tomorrow so I shouldn't have much to worry about until dinner time hits. We're halfway through the trip and I haven't caved, so I think I'll be ok! I have to admit, though, I never noticed just how much alcohol is IN YOUR FACE via bars, ads, tv, billboards, etc until I quit drinking.

Thanks for all the kind words of support and encouragement. I really appreciate it!!

Now where the heck is Bam?!?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm here. Hello everyone! Wow!

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
GAWD, if my mom asks me if I want to go to the hotel bar for a drink one more time I might just pull my hair out! Or hers! LOL

TSH, I am sorry. She knows your situation, right? Well, my mom knows, but she really doesn't.

The other night my mom had me go on a booze run for her (why did I do that? *smack* forehead (ouch)). Well, didn't drink that night, but did the next day and a few hours ago (because, after having me buy it for her, she hid it from me! That did it--I gathered up some change and went to the store (I was mad...)...I know, I'm stupid.).

So, here I sit, guilty as charged....sober for now...trying to stay that way...reading here so that my pea-sized brain might absorb some good sense instead of booze.

The next time she asks, I'm going to laugh at her and walk away. Buying that was too much. Even though I made it through that night without a drop, the craving spilled over to the next day. Sometimes being around it spells bad news for me. Next time I have a downer week, I need to barricade myself in until it passes completely.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Maybe your mom needs to go to treatment... she needs to get a clue and stop tryin' to sabotage your game. What's her email address...?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hey Bam,

No, my mom does not know. Doesn't know I've quit drinking, doesn't know I have a problem, doesn't have a clue. I'm not going to tell her, either. I mean I'm not going to tell her about my addiction problem - I'm going to HAVE to tell her I've quit drinking, I just haven't done it yet. Because her first question will be, "How come?" and I have to seriously plan out what my response will be. So, I can't really gripe too much that she keeps asking me to go for a drink, because she doesn't know that she shouldn't, but GAH it's still hard on me.

Your mom knows but she asked you to buy booze for her?!? WTH? LOL
I can totally understand what you said about buying it starting a craving that carried over into the next day. I don't think I could do it. It's hard enough as it is for me to walk past a bar. Just knowing that it's right there, ready and willing whenever I am! Bah.

Stupid booze. Stupid addiction. Stupid stupid stupid everything.