Notices

Support for those without a group.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Just checking in with this thread and to see how everyone is doing.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I'm hanging in there. The past few days have been stressful, and I've been struggling with nagging thoughts about drinking, sobriety, and all that fun stuff... but so far I haven't picked up.

How are you, HL?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hey TSH if there's anything you want to hash out or complain about, please do so. It helps to get it out or at least, for me it does. Glad you checked in and you're getting on. Hope the stress eases up for you though. Stress can be a big trigger for me and I understand the urge, but remember it won't help the stress. We've got to reprogram ourselves. Easier said then done, but working on it. Remember vent away. That's what we're here for.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Love this thread!

Will be leaving this weekend for a family gathering. Will be gone about a week. This should be interesting to say the least!

On a Positive Note, I have 6 months Saturday. I'll be hanging on to that while we're travelling!

How is everyone doing with all of the holiday lunacy?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

In laws left and so did the lunacy. LOL! I'm good.

Hope you can check in coffeenut while you're gone and by the way,

CONGRATULATIONS a little early on 6 months!!! Way to go!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thanks, Horsie!

Awww....the stress level will ease in your house with the in-law lunacy over! Was it as bad as you thought it would be? Glad you got through it okay!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

It was for many reasons. They really have a problem when dealing with my 6 year old son and they believe I don't discipline him enough. Little did they know he was coming down with a flu-cold and has missed this entire week of school. I think he did remarkably well while they were here considering this.

I'll give you one example. We went to a Christmas Light display at the botanical gardens in the city and my son was bubbling over with excitement. He wanted to see it all at once and wasn't going through it slow enough for their tastes. They complained bitterly after it was over on how ill behaved he was. I could have strangled them, but then I would have gotten put away. Just kidding. When you're a kid that's never seen a Christmas Lights display like that you tend to get excited and animated and every which way. Any ways, one example. The other is he didn't sit still enough at the dinner table each night. My son can't sit still. His teacher commented on how she wished she could bottle his energy and I have to agree. He's a mover. Someday he'll be a computer programmer and will be thinking of a program in his head while pacing back and forth. I can just see it. LOL!

Aren't ya glad you asked Coffenut? LOL! Biggest trigger encountered in my 7 months of sobriety I will say.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
They complained bitterly after it was over on how ill behaved he was.

Geez, he's a 6 year old kid! He'll have to grow up soon enough in this world. Don't they know that? Hang in there, HL.

Hello, everyone! It's raining like crazy where I'm at...and it's cold. All of that snow is to the North. I'm ready for spring.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
The other is he didn't sit still enough at the dinner table each night.
Ugh! Please! He's *6*! You should see my son at dinner every night. It's a running "joke" in our house about how he just CAN NOT sit at the table and EAT, even when he is HUNGRY. He talks. He plays. He gets distracted. My teenager will have *3 helpings* of dinner before the 5-year old has even eaten a third of his food. It's crazy! But it's just how they are. It's NORMAL.

As a side note, I ate lunch with my 5-year old yesterday at school. I was almost shocked at how many of the kids in his class fidgeted and fooled around EVEN MORE than him during lunch! He at least ate his food... probably 10 - 12 of the other kids in his class wound up taking 3 bites or less during the entire 25-minute lunch. They were simply too distracted and animated. Kids that age are just too concerned that they will MISS SOMETHING if they stop all the activity for something as boring as eating.

It bugs me to no end when people gripe and complain about NORMAL BEHAVIOR.

Let it go in one ear and out the other.

Bah, can you tell this kind of stuff is a soft spot for me? :P LOL!!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Heck, I work in a restaurant...most kids that age, end up with their food in a to-go container, because they are too busy playing, watching everyone else, etc., to actually EAT Of course, I don't help much, because I like to play WITH them.

Sorry I haven't been around here, much. Found out, last week, that my stepmom has crossed the line from abusing pain meds to addiction. She was arrested for trying to fill a fraudulent prescription...she is 62 years old. She has been detoxing for a week and now has vertigo. The friend who was giving her pills and gave her the prescription, somehow got her PIN number from her ATM, gave it to another friend and that friend wiped out my dad's bank account and ran up his credit cards (they had her purse).

It was a huge mess, but it's all been cleared up. I am now on the OTHER side of addiction and it's not any easier. Stepmom does have legit pain issues, so at some point will be taking pain meds again. She is going through the self-hatred phase, and I am trying to be supportive, but not enabling.

What a mess.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

(((Impurrfect)))
Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers for you Amy! So sorry.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hey TSH - Bless you for that post and thank you very much. Thank you Amy also. I know he's a normal kid, but having to deal with people that expect him to act as an adult is quite irritating! LOL! They babysit their other grandkids all the time, but they must be better behaved. The one closest to Nate's age is on something for ADD and he's quite passive now and maybe they're comparing him to that one. All kids differ though.

Right now he's playing a video game and literally jumping up and down. Glad its a long chord. LOL! I got him a mini trampoline for indoors because of his activeness. If I had a YMCA I would enroll him in swimming. Hoping and praying we get one out here someday. I miss the Y.

Thanks again people. I appreciate you all and not just because you agree with me. LOL!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

She was very lucky to have you, Amy.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Impurrfect)))

(hey why isn't mine green and gnarly like Bam's?)

D
Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! We are raising my 15-year-old niece, Brit, because my stepsister (her mom) died in a car wreck when Brit was a baby, and Brit's dad is an addict. This totally freaked out Brit, but I'm SOOOO glad I have been able to be here for her, my dad and my stepmom. Just a few years ago, and I would have been out there using and not had a clue what was going on....or even really cared about anything but getting high.

I've figured out life still throws you for a loop, sometimes, even when you're in recovery. The first thing I did was reach out for a very good friend I have from SR, and 2 people who have known me forever. I posted on friends/family and read a lot, and I didn't pick up.

The day we went to court for my stepmom, I remembered MY day in court, a little over 4 years ago...wow, things have really changed and I'm glad I'm not that person anymore! I was removed from the court room because I kept falling asleep...took a xanax after drinking a 40-ounce beer, to "calm me down" from a 5-day crack binge!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

So glad your in-laws are nowhere near my small grand kids as they race round having FUN and behaving like children should. Obviously the old ideas of the Victorian age are still alive in some peoples mindsets.
Honestly, if a child of 6 or so isn't jumping out of their skin exploring, and playing, I would think there was something wrong.

As for comparing their grand children and putting down your ways of child rearing, well I think they need a class in manners and behavior, because their actions are RUDE and insulting.

That is their problem, the cranky old &***$##'s. Let them go and feel sorry for being so miserable and joyless.

Your son sounds like a normal, happy and healthy boy, and you can enjoy his way of living and let those old miseries go out of your mind.

God bless
Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

:ghug3 That's for you Jadmack. Can I adopt a new grandparent? LOL!

"I've figured out life still throws you for a loop, sometimes, even when you're in recovery. " That's for sure Amy! You are to be admired and thank God your niece has you in her life.