Notices

SIX MONTH and UNDER CLUB

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Good Morning. I need to catch up on this thread tonight. Hope everyone is doing well in their sobriety.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Guess I haven't checked in for a while. Day 145 and things are going fine.

Occasional desires to have a drink, but nothing unmanageable. Funny how you can romanticize drinking, and suddenly forever not having a drink seems like a long time. But I will not be fooled by my thinking, I don't want to enjoy a drink, it's never that controlled.

I hope everyone is doing well.

LC
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
What is Irn Bru????
If you can bounce in six inch heels all night and still walk home in your bare feet,

If you can keep two passions burning bright and see if there's still some romance and defeat,

If you can hit a foreign beach without a tan or brave the howling sleet in just a shirt,

If you know you're easily a better man when side by side with suits in just a skirt,

If you can party in the summer rain with kamakaze midgies in the mud,

Or grit your teeth and put up with the pain of seeing in the new year in the scud,

If you can wait and wait for 1p change then proudly give the lot to charity and know for certain it's not strange to call yer lunch dinner and yer dinner tea,

If you can handle folk to call you Jock then you'll have really earned your irn bru,

You'll thank your mum for keeping you in stock and what is more
You'll feel phenomenal to.

Hopefully that answers the question.

Not techy enough myself to give a link, but type "Irn Bru if advert" into youtube and you'll get the video.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Nope still confused Fizzy. Is it a soda, something Fizzy???
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

You did ask Horsie, more info than you want I fear !!!!!!!!!

Irn-Bru (pronounced iron brew, IPA: /ˈaɪɚn ˈbruː/) is a popular carbonated soft drink produced in Scotland. It is made by A.G. Barr plc, of Cumbernauld. Barr's Irn-Bru is available in the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Gibraltar, Russia, Canada, Norway, South Africa, Singapore, parts of Europe such as Poland, the Middle East, in some parts of Australia (introduced in 2006), New Zealand (introduced in 2007) and in the United States.

Irn-Bru is famous for its bright orange colour (something it shares with the glucose drink Lucozade). As of 1999 it contained 0.002% of ammonium ferric citrate, sugar, 32 flavouring agents (including caffeine—though caffeine is not listed as an ingredient on the Australian labelling—and quinine) and two controversial colourings (E110, E124). It is advertised as having a slight citrus flavour, but many have differing opinions of the exact taste of Irn-Bru. One of the key ingredients is said to be barley while another rumour holds that seaweed is a major contributor to the taste[citation needed].

Irn-Bru was first produced in 1901, under the name Iron Brew. In 1946, a change in laws required that the word "brew" be removed from the name, as the drink is not technically brewed. Interestingly Morrisons now produce and sell a product with that very name, which is designed to taste similar to the original. The chairman of the company came up with the idea of changing both halves of the name to a phonetic spelling, giving the current Irn-Bru brand. 1980 saw the introduction of Low Calorie Irn-Bru; this was re-launched in 1991 as Diet Irn-Bru and the Irn-Bru 32 energy drink variant was launched in 2006. All the rumour and folklore surrounding Irn-Bru only serve to help keep it in its place as an icon of Scottish popular culture.

It has long been the most popular soft drink in Scotland, outselling Coca-Cola, but recent fierce competition between the two brands has brought their sales to roughly equal levels (perhaps leaning to Coca-Cola).[1] It is also the third best selling soft drink in the UK, after Coca-Cola and Pepsi, outselling high-profile brands such as Tango, Fanta, Dr Pepper, Sprite and 7-Up. This success in defending its home market (a feat claimed only by Irn-Bru, Brazil's Guaranį, South Australia's Farmers Union Iced Coffee, Peru's Inca Kola, Malta's Kinnie and Sweden's Julmust) has led to ongoing speculation that Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Inc. or its UK brand franchisee Britvic, would attempt to buy A.G. Barr

Irn-Bru's advertising slogans used to be "Scotland's other National Drink", referring to whisky, and "Bru'd in Scotland from girders", though the closest one can come to substantiating this claim is the 0.002% ammonium ferric citrate listed in the ingredients.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
left of center

Day 94 here - i am thankful for that. Cmhcali and Steam - I sympathize - relationships and exes usually trigger me - and I am working sooo hard to just NOT think about my ex. Its hard, and hurts. Throw in some anger and feelings of betrayal, some tears and heartbreak, and that has been the recipe for my drinking - hahahaha. Not anymore though - hanging in there sober!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Day 67 and it is ok
Old 08-22-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Good morning everyone!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Day 105

Heya!

I went to the dentist again this morning...sigh. The extraction had become infected. Food got in. Man it hurt for her to clean it out.

So just hangin on this day. Taking it easy.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

LC that happened with my wisdom teeth. No fun I feel for you
Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Smile

Logcabin! Tooth pain is the absolute worse kind of pain. Hope you are nearly done with that stuff.

Hey TTOSBT and CMH! Congratulations CMH on your 67 sober days. I sure hope things are improving for you!

Hi Steam. Its great to see you back. Can't wait for more information from you on your life.

Hi Xanacat - Congratulations to you on 95 sober days. It feels good, doesn't it? Its not that easy, but the end result is worth it IMHO.

Thanks Fizzy for the explanation. Did you type that whole thing or use some cut and paste?? Wish we could give that drink a try, but I guess I'll settle for ice water. I've been downing so much water lately and crystal light I believe I'm swimming here.

Hi Lastcall - Day 146 today, huh? That's big time! Congratulations and I know what you mean about the cravings. I still have them, but I come here a lot and they seem to disappear eventually.

Looking for an update from Bostonluv. I know you're doing fine because I've run into you on other threads, but check in here when you have time. You are a good soul.

Hi Benjiboy!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

4 months today! Yeah!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Woo hoo!! I'll blow that horn with you Jen. Congratulations on 4 months!! Awesome girl!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Congrats Jen on 4 months - Thats awesome...
Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Jen!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

This is my first post on this sight. I've read the thread and it's such an upbeat group. This is my 8th day and while I do not want to drink, I am feeling sad and anxious and in need of feedback from anyone who has felt similar. I should be on top of the world since this is really a record for me...and I am grateful for being sober. Anyway, that's my day...thanks for listening.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
left of center

Yay Jen on 4 months....that is rockin!!!!! 97 days here ----- wild.

Spudida - I understand how you feel. I still feel very sad, anxious, and down alot - although it is like a rollercoaster. I also think that I should be "on top of the world" because of my 97 days, and just some recent things that have happened that I have come through. But alas - that is not the case. I really do try to just take it moment by moment - and really think about the consequences of me picking up a drink. I know they would not be good. And I know not only would I disappoint myself, but I would disappoint others. You should be REALLY proud of 8 days - I think that is fantastic!!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi Horselover and thank you. It's been awhile since I checked in here. It's great to see everyone doing so well and moving forward although it can be difficult at times to wrestle with feelings. I have a hard time with that also Spudida. I've had a few rough days that creeped up on me and haven't known why...feelings can be sneaky and usually when I should feel my best I feel, I don't know, weird or down. I hope you feel better soon. I know you've been keeping busy with your house maybe it's time to relax or go outside for a little fesh air. I know you were thinking about a meeting also. I should take my own advice and get some fresh air also.

Psst..Christin - Really glad to see you feeling better girl.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Day 42 is winding down. Very pleased at what sobriety is doing to me. Still lots of bumps in the road but if I'm not "driving drunk" I can negotiate the "bumps" a lot better.

Daughter goes to college tomorrow. Excited but too wound up. I'll be glad when she's safely installed in her dorm room and getting to know her roommate. The last four years have all been geared toward this very moment, and the anticipation is unbearable. Excited, depressed, nervous, exhausted - and a whole lot more feelings about her leaving home as an adult, on her own for the first time. A lot of mixed feelings but very very happy for her dream to be coming true right now, tomorrow!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

6 months for me!