Notices

For those CHRONICALLY less than 2 weeks sober Part 2

Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations and love to everyone here! I get inspired to stay sober from reading the posts. You all can stay clean and sober, I know it! If I can do it, anyone can!

:ghug3
Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

this is my first time posting.. actually, it's my first time posting on any message board ever. i'm 27 years old and i gave up drinking last october for the first time. i stayed sober for seven months and i honestly didn't think i'd ever drink again (i felt genuinely good about myself for the first time in memory).. however then i became a walking cliche. i got involved with a woman, also in recovery, and when she relapsed on drugs, i got drunk. it's a long story, but the bottom line is that, since that time (the end of May) i haven't been able to put more than a handful of days together. i am worthless when i drink, and i HAVE to stop this pattern of sobering up for a few days.. until some of the guilt subsides, and then starting all over again. it's just too easy for me to give up when it's just a few days.. i've done this before, and i know that early sobriety is extremely hard, but i also know that it really does get a lot easier. i'm really hoping this might help me, even just a little..
thank you.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi all. Day 2 for me. I've had countless Day 2s in the past few months, and historically Days 2 and 4 are the hardest for me. If I'm going to give in, it's almost always on Day 2 or Day 4.

Right now I feel pretty good. I got up on time, kept my teenager from oversleeping, got up with the little one an hour later, and even cooked breakfast for myself! I can't remember the last time I did that. It's just after 8 a.m. and I've even got a load of laundry going! (SO unlike me!!)

I'm trying really hard not to worry about tomorrow or this weekend but just to focus on TODAY and the fact that right now I feel GOOD. I want to hold on to that.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Day 3 for me...& I feel wonderful. I got a good nights sleep lastnight, woke up feeling rested, and am now at work feeling a PRODUCTIVE day ahead of me! When I'm hungover that's not even a possibility. When temptation hits I need to remember how great this feels. It can only get better...

Lastnight, my roommate came home from work with a 6 pack. Of course, she wanted me to drink with her. I didn't. As strange as it sounds, I'm not tempted by three beers. I'm tempted if there's a 12 pack, YES! But the alcoholic in me sees no point in even drinking just 3 beers. What a waste of energy. And had I drank those three beers, I'm just about positive I would have been heading to the store to buy more.

It's thoughts like this that make me realize I cannot go back. No matter what. I need to think of something constructive to do this weekend to keep temptation at bay.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Welcome, maladjusted! You're in the right place!

And Lindsay, GREAT GOING!!!! (I'm on Day 3 too and also feeling fabulous, but had a lousy night's sleep .....Anyways, I'm trying to focus on all that I can do/have/achieve in sobriety. All I can't do in life, is drink.

I love the PEOPLE in this thread and its support, love and compassion!
:ghug
Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

This morning I changed some small things. I had a whole new routine that I was going to do- up at dawn, do yoga, work for 2 hours on my thesis- but then I couldn't get to sleep last night until really late, just lay there for hours. Of course I overslept. I woke up and felt like, crap, just like me, make big plans and f$ck them up. But then instead of lying in bed with my laptop, reading a bazillion news sites and thinking about how much I have to do and how much I suck, I got up right away, took a shower and got dressed. Made coffee. I will soon be out the door to work at my part time job (I set my own hours, which is a dangerous beast!).

I had a revelation this morning... I was thinking that it's not enough to be the same old me, minus drinking. Drinking/the consequences of drinking are too much of my life. If I'm going to be sober, I have to change the way I do things. I am trying on the thought "The old me did x this way. The new sober me does x that way."

Does that sound crazy? Like, schizoid?

And by the way, I had no idea how much of a relief it would be to have a place where I didn't have to pretend it's not hard to not drink, or that I have this problem at all. It turns out that all that pretending takes a lot of energy. Hm.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
Does that sound crazy? Like, schizoid?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. Makes perfect sense to me.

And by the way, I had no idea how much of a relief it would be to have a place where I didn't have to pretend it's not hard to not drink, or that I have this problem at all. It turns out that all that pretending takes a lot of energy. Hm.
Man, is that the truth.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Soo the old me sat around on her butt and killed time on the internet instead of going to work as planned. The new sober me GETS UP RIGHT NOW and earns some money!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

SelfSeeking- I want your job! Making your own hours sounds wonderful.

As long as the money's coming in, of course! But I also do see what you're saying about doing things differently. I'm starting to think of doing some things differently myself.

Instead of trying to work out in the evenings after work when I'm mostly like tired...I'm going to get up early in the AM and squeeze it in when I'm full of energy. (i'm a morning person.)

Same goes for Saturdays & Sundays...where they're historically spent riding out a hangover, I'm going to get up early and go on a long run. Take my dog out for a walk. Wash my car. Clean the house. Do laundry. All these things that are normally neglected because I'm busy wasting life. :wtf2
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

hi all. i'm in the middle of DAY 2 and clawing my way through detox...i haven't had a sober day in 18 months and as bad as my body feels, i feel such a sense of hope and determination!!! i'm getting ready to make myself a little lunch and then i'm zooming off to a meeting!!i'm so glad this thread is here!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Welcome Ambush!! Lots of people here, with different ideas and suggestions. But all agree about a few things: we have to want to change and SR is a great place to start!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hey you all, day 7 here.

I spent a LOT of time last night praying and meditating on my life, recent past and present. For the past 4 months, I've done little else other than obsess over NOT drinking. NOT drinking is consuming my life. I've been miserable, irritated and it just ain't working for me.

I've decided to just stop obsessing over things so much. I am going to cut back on meetings and not worry about completing the 12 steps just yet. I've spent 4 months doing NOTHING and it sucks. I have been just sitting back waiting for the miracle to happen, and well, it isn't. So I'm moving on with my life. No more counting days for me. No more stressing out. It's time for me to start living again.

And no, I am not planning to go back to drinking. Not at all. But not drinking is no longer going to be my highest priority. I am going to start making my travel plans and stop being so worried about it all. I am truly starting to think that obsessing over NOT drinking is what has me always wanting to drink. We shall see if that is the case or not...

If this doesn't work and alcohol gets the better of me once more, I'll be back. And I'll still come here and post from time to time.

Best of luck to everyone!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Sobergirl your post seems so final having said that you could have a point. Cant talk for anyone else but I take myself way to serious and obsess over such trival Crap!
Make sure you come back and say
Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
forally

Hello to all,
I have recently returned from a rehab center for a 5 day stay. I have 8 days sober. I`m a bit puzzled why i still feel so drained. I look like death and feel the same. I am like a walking zombie from lack of sleep. I guess my question is when will I start to feel normal again ??? How long does it take ?? Is this normal ?? The cravings are starting to diminish and I will go to my first AA meeting tomorrow. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I am new here but have been lurking on the board since early last week. I know I belong in this thread. I am now on my 3rd Day 1 in a row after not drinking for 5 days.

I was sober for 14 years but starting sipping wine occasionally 10 years ago. After a year of sipping, I started drinking more often. When the man I had lived with for several years died unexpectedly, my drinking progressed. I kept thinking that I could stop if I really really tried because I knew what it was like to live a sober life.

I am a functional drunk - drink wine at night most nights but not every night. In the morning, I am totally committed to not drinking but by the late afternoon, my intent is gone. I refer to it as undeciding.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

lyddie, i can really relate to your post. I also am a functional drinker. I could easily drink a six pack+ (more like chug) during the week and wake up for work feeling decent. By the afternoon the hangover had worn off some and even though in the morning I had sworn I wasn't going to drink that night, I would...It's a cycle that after some time began to wear on me physically, emotionally, and mentally. It certainly took some time for me to come to that realization.

After about two attempts of recovery, I'm now on day 4. I've always been very hesitent about going to a meeting, but I'm REALLY considering going to my first one ever this weekend. It's a big step for me, but it's something I know I need to do...

sobergirl- good luck to you! I can understand how it becomes an obsession...do whatever you think will work for you.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I blew it yet again. Why can't I get it through my sick head that I cannot drink? Please let this be my last day 1...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi gang, Day 26 here.

I thought I would share some of the positive physical changes that I've noticed since I stopped drinking, in the hopes that maybe I can help someone with a little extra motivation to stay on track.

This week I noticed that my hair feels a lot softer and looks shinier and is more manageable. Also, my skin looks younger and it seems fresh and dewy. I've also lost about 6 lbs.

I know that alcohol depletes our bodies of vitamins and minerals but I always thought that I could counter-act that by taking a bunch of vitamins and fish oil capsules. I am learning that there is no substitute for a healthy lifestyle. I've been feeling a lot more energetic, too, and emotionally I have leveled out and gotten off of the roller coaster ride.

The first couple of weeks were pretty challenging, but once I passed the 14-day mark it did get easier. I still have those urges every once in a while, but it is a lot easier to ignore them as time goes on. My Dad is getting ready to die of heart failure, so this is a very emotional time for me, but I've come to realize that I cope much better when I am sober.

I made a list of "50 reasons not to drink today" and posted it on my bulletin board and keep a folded up copy in my purse. That way, if an urge does come up, I can look at the list and it immediately quiets the "beast".

Hopefully that was helpful for someone. Keep on trying, and make a list and be grateful for all the good in life. We can all be free from our addictions!

Hugs,
Suz
Old 08-14-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thanks Suz, I needed that. I need to be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. So I will crawl to that 14 day mark, and hope as you say, that it gets easier.:praying
Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi Knickknack and Lyddie. I've never been to rehab knickknack so I don't know if you're feeling run down is normal but I read it I thought, I'd feel run down to. Maybe just give it some time and get some extra rest and take extra good care of yourself You're healing and in recovery. Someone around here give herself hugs and feels better.

Lyddie,

I can relate although, I have to say I've never been much of a sipper but when someone close to me died my drinking went through the roof and now I'm here in my 24th day without drinking. I feel better. I hope you both will do.

Just stopped by to see how everyone was doing this morning. Glad to see you keep trying HideorSeek.