Notices

For those CHRONICALLY less than 2 weeks sober

Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Always we begin again

Addiction Disease

Man, pot was my drug of choice for years and I used to throw hundreds of dollars worth out onto my lawn, in an attempt to quit. Then I'd be on my hands and knees weeding through the grass blades trying to find enough to fill a bowl. I did quite a stint in an AA group trying to quit that habit, but really only managed to quit when my supplier moved out of town. I still have dreams of smoking pot but now I have a job with random UAs and that's motivating me to stay clear of pot (but I did make this deal with the devil that if I ever get cancer, I am going back to smoking pot!).
After I quit pot, I declared myself "cured," but here I am, five years later, dealing with alcohol. I guess it's the underlying "addiction disease" that's ultimately the problem, not the drug du jour.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I'd be very persistant with both of your docs and remind them that withdrawl is dangerous. Should something happen to you, that sounds like a malpractice suit to me."

Mention up front that you might sue the doctor if you don't get what you want?

Next time you want an appointment this is what you will probably hear, "We're very sorry sir, we don't have any appointment openings. We'll have to refer you to your nearest emergency room." And the doctor won't see you again for ANY reason.

I know because it happened to a friend of mine. His doctor was there to help him, NOT to be reminded how to do his job, by some using addict, under the threat of legal action.

Better approach...? Go to a different doctor if you must, but don't burn any bridges with your current doctor, you may need him sometime?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
"I'd be very persistant with both of your docs and remind them that withdrawl is dangerous. Should something happen to you, that sounds like a malpractice suit to me."

Mention up front that you might sue the doctor if you don't get what you want?

Next time you want an appointment this is what you will probably hear, "We're very sorry sir, we don't have any appointment openings. We'll have to refer you to your nearest emergency room." And the doctor won't see you again for ANY reason.

I know because it happened to a friend of mine. His doctor was there to help him, NOT to be reminded how to do his job, by some using addict, under the threat of legal action.

Better approach...? Go to a different doctor if you must, but don't burn any bridges with your current doctor, you may need him sometime?
I said to remind the doc that detox is dangerous. The other sentence was an added thought, not something to say to the doc.

Or she could find a more responsible doctor, one that does not punish his/her patients for having a disease called alcoholism and force them to endure the detox on their own. Would you force a lung cancer patient to endure the side effects of chemo on their own, because they smoked a pack a day? I've endured chemo and it's worse than the cancer itself.

So what if her doc never sees her again. Doesn't sound like a good doctor anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

I am chronic but not terminal

I am trying everything I have come across...
  • hypnotherapy CDs at night
  • amino acids
  • exercising very hard (which is key part of life when not doing my homer simpson impression (replace duff with wine of course))
  • voluntary work
  • night class (not yet decided what) but also have dog training booked
  • social life (weirdly no problem not drinking when in public...driving car to drinks tonight and party tomorrow)
  • taking minimal cash when possible risk of buying drink (which will include drinks so I can not afford to get a taxi home)
  • eating well no refined sugar or caffeine and lots of good stuff
  • lots of nice non-alcohlic drinks - including expensive ones (which still cost less than wine)
  • frequently asking myself how I am feeling (and remembering the solution to hungry is not to buy a bottle of wine, ditto tired which are two of my triggers)
  • putting my renovations on hold and spending my spare time doing fun creative stuff (got top get rid of that I "deserve" a drink feeling)
  • prioritising my dogs in my life
  • having a bit of vanity (dropped 5 years off my face in 2 and a bit days!). Off at lunch to spend the vouchers from my credit points (earned from all that wine!) on make-up. Shall be glamour PumMum this evening.
  • doing main grocery shops at lunchtime
  • making conscious plan for entire evening at around 3pm (when cravings and habit kick in but still a couple of hours left at work)
  • and of course on here...but am picking my threads carefully (being told to go to AA and to remember I can never drink again do not help me in anyway. I get a lot more from other new newbies (Thanks for starting this thread...don't want to be exclusive but any chance we could change to title to add "only" at the end)

I am fairly skeptical but will give stuff a shot - most of it is cheaper than wine! Also many touted solutions for alcohol abuse are the same as for depression. Years ago I had strange medical problem where I got migraines from almost everything I did and ate. Standard medical tests showed nothing and the medicine to prevent migraines only worked so much and had side effects. So I tried all sorts of weird and wonderful things : homeopathy, supplements, Chinese accupuncture, amalgam filling removal, bite splint. Something worked and I have never been concerned what it was as I have been able to eat whatever I want for over 15 years. Working on same principle here

Hugs to all
PupMum
Early on day 3
Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamsomebody View Post
Man, pot was my drug of choice for years and I used to throw hundreds of dollars worth out onto my lawn, in an attempt to quit. Then I'd be on my hands and knees weeding through the grass blades trying to find enough to fill a bowl.
I have poured so many glasses and bottles of wine down my sink...at least no way to get it back (but I have drunk warm white wine which has been sitting in glass overnight)!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Antara View Post
I said to remind the doc that detox is dangerous. The other sentence was an added thought, not something to say to the doc.

Or she could find a more responsible doctor, one that does not punish his/her patients for having a disease called alcoholism and force them to endure the detox on their own. Would you force a lung cancer patient to endure the side effects of chemo on their own, because they smoked a pack a day? I've endured chemo and it's worse than the cancer itself.

So what if her doc never sees her again. Doesn't sound like a good doctor anyway.
Yes, remind the doctor that detox is dangerous (he/she may have forgotton). You are correct. I was in error.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

All I know is that once I'm back to being physically addicted to alcohol I can't stop until I get help. And for me...getting help is going into a treatment program. I can make it a day or two, or three, and then I seem to forget how horrible the withdrawal, anxiety, and fear was...my brain takes me into denial, and I'm out the door again...tricked myself again. And then the whole stupid sick cycle starts again. I am a person who will drink until I die.

Nope...I can't do it by myself in my own home. I have to leave and get detox, and then some serious support in a protected environment.

Relapse is a part of recovery, but it is never something you should accept as a way of life. It is only something I learn from to help me stop the cycle.

As they say...play the tape. Remember how you feel in the morning when your eye first start to open. Remember the foolish things you have done. Think of the people you have hurt. Think of how you are still beating yourself up, and it's time to start loving yourself, and taking care of yourself. No matter what you have done...you can be a happier and healthier person if you let.

I first went into rehab after I made a deal with my family. I kept telling them I could quit on my own. Then I would relapse again. So I finally said, "OK, if I relapse one more time...then I will go into a 30-day program."

Well...guess what? I relapsed again, and I knew I had to stick to my promise.

Now that was only a start. And I went into rehab to get better for my family. What finally worked was when I walked in for MYSELF. I had to do it, and WANT it for ME. Recovery is very selfish at first. And you have to make it the most important thing you do every second of your life if you really, and I mean, YOU REALLY, want to change.

Good luck getting out of the downward spiral-cycle. Each time you get back up do something more to get involved in recovery...instead of just thinking about it.

What I do now. I spend 15-30 minutes every day reading from my recovery books. Grapevine, daily inspirations, and even the Chicken soup books. (LOVE THEM!) and I understand that I need to feel calm and at peace in a very special way. I say little prayers to myself (since I don't have a HP that "thinks".)

Replace the negative thoughts with positive thoughts...anyway you can.

Set yourself free, baby!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have been incontact with my regular doctor and my shrink and neither will prescribe a few days of benzos to get me thru the first three days of withdrawal. I am desperate here as I know I must stop drinking but the first three days of withdrawal are too awful to withstand alone without help. I don't know what else to do, besides just "toughing it out" by myself, which I don't feel I'm capable of living through.

I'm surviving now by drinking small bits of alcohol, just enough to keep the withdrawal at bay, but that will not work for long. I want to quit completely but don't know how to do that all alone. I need help and can't afford to go to the ER (again) with withdrawal symptoms. I guess I'm just on my own here and will have to deal with it the best I can.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I guess I'm just on my own here and will have to deal with it the best I can.
Can't offer any med help (but you make me appreciate the NZ medical system) but you are not completely on your own here. I am sending strong supportive thoughts down the cyberline to you. And hugs of course

PupMum
Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=anvilhead;1830552] the excuses, and make the DECISION that just for today i will drink/use NO MATTER WHAT.

lol good job you clarified Anvil, I was thinking.........well ok - if I have to......:
Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For those-chronically-less-than-2-weeks-sober....

Yes this is true...
All I can say is, I am Day to Day...but getting better each Day!

Not stressing or obsessing over it...Hey, Just Day to Day
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Least,

What is wrong with going back to the ER? I have gone in...done the 3 day detox, and then was sent home. Of course that was too soon for me, and I was back in a week later.

I have been in 3 in-patient rehabs
2 long-term out-patient
And to the er 5,6,7, times...

Do what ever it takes.

Do you have insurance? Can you get into a 30 day program?

If not..go back to the er and find out who can give you a medically supervised detox. It really sound like you need at least a week. Take whatever you can get.

Trust me....you will be laughing at yourself once you get clean and sober, and realized all that you put yourself through.

Sick and Tired of being sick and tired?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Evening zero. Blah, blah, blah.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Here's the challenge - the first one to break out of this thread WINS!

The prize: higher self esteem, a better outlook on life, better health, better relationships, better, better, better EVERYTHING!

Let's share with eachother the POSITIVE steps we are taking, and add just 1 new tool to our belt:

Here's mine:

Positive Steps I am Already Taking: I have a sponsor I talk to every day. I meditate. I post encouragement on SR.

Things To Add: Try St. Johns Wort

And if that doesn't work: Go to meetings
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh, I forgot, I'm still on day 1.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ROFL View Post
And if that doesn't work: Go to meetings
Please run that idea by your sponsor.

Having a 'backup' plan ready in the event of a relapse can acknowledge that a relapse may occur.

Please think about going to meetings and doing everything humanly possible before "if that doesn't work" comes to mind.

You CAN make it past two weeks, and beyond. One day at a time.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Since I was drinking little bits yesterday to stave off the withdrawal, I guess today is day one - again. I have no money so cannot buy any wine, which is a good thing. I have to get thru the next three days sober. I cannot drink anything at all, no matter how bad I feel. And I'm feeling pretty crappy right now.

I am going to walk the dogs shortly (before it gets any hotter) and then I am going to tackle cleaning this filthy house. I have to keep busy so as not to think too much about how I feel.

as far as going to the ER, I will if it gets too bad, but I don't have insurance and don't want to runup any more bills.

just for today I will not drink. Just for today I will stay sober.:ghug
Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 1 again for the umpteenth time. I'm feeling pretty low, but oh well. Nothing I can do now.
The emotional hell I'm going through is waaaaaay worse than the hangover.blah.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 1 here again too. I drank last evening, starting late, but at least i made it through most of the day, and didnt start in the morning. I am really trying to use all the tools I have learned, cause there are many of them, but they only work if I actually really work them. Every relapse is a chance to learn something, so what did I learn from this one? I'll be thinking about that today.

Many people come here and into AA meetings and they dont think they are that bad off when they hear the stories of ppl loosing their houses, children, jobs and stuff like that when they havent lost anything. What they dont realize I think, is the emotional cost of drinking. It is about the way you feel about yourself in the morning, the guilt, shame, terror that you wont ever be free from booze. This is not the right way to wake up in the morning. We should wake up and love ourselves, not beat ourselves up. This is what many people dont seem to get right away, a house can be replaced but you live with your feeling of self-worth 24/7.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am so glad that so many just keep on getting up and trying again!!!!! It is inspiring to me. This disease is much easier to kick when we remember to be a we and an us instead of being a me.

I am hoping that the developing relationships in this and the 2wks&under thread will help you get on to the next stages of recovery.

A year ago I would have been stuck in the 2week threads for a long time! It just took a long time for things to reach a point where I could stay sober.

Like I said...I admire your courage and pray everyday that I can have another day sober...cause this disease could take anyone down again.