Notices

For those CHRONICALLY less than 2 weeks sober

Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Day 1 here again, but feeling strong today. Only had a few last night and stopped. I guess I keep trying to prove that I can drink in moderation, but moderation is not drinking every night. This week I had 3 days, but blew it.
Today, I will not drink.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! How are the "club" members doing today? Last night, I had a quiet evening with my husband and book. It sure felt great to wake up this am with no regrets. Like I posted yesterday, I want to post on this thread daily, to hold my feet to the fire so to speak. Prayers that everyone is doing well, just for today.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It may sound silly, but Wilson Phillip's song "Hold On" (YouTube) is a real shot in the arm for me. I just blast it and sing and dance along. I always feel uplifted afterwards. Told you it was silly...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
getting there

Hugs to all the day 1ers! Today is day 4 for me but it's Friday so I have to have a plan to get through the weekend (not like my drinking ever took a holiday during the week).

Hideorseek I used to love that Wilson Phillips song! Now it's stuck in my head so I have to go listen to it.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am hanging on, but just by a thread. I drove straight home from work and would not even go to the grocery store, even though I need to. They sell wine there which is the kiss of death for me. We can do this! I am glued to the forum, as it seems that it is the only thing that helps me and keeps me honest. Oh yeah, and youtube. LOL....listening to Pink u + ur hand which makes me happy. Silly, I know. Love you guys!

:ghug3
Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Not good right now. Started drinking after my sons baseball game and am on #4 right now. I really need to stop this crazy cycle.....................hugs would be appreciated right now:-(
Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Day 1 (oh, have I been here before?) and only difference is that I have horrific hangover and am angry at myself for putting stupid stuff into my body. (Usually I have just gone oh whatever but this time am actually seriously pissed off)

And no I am not expecting sympathy for a hangover!!! I was supposed to go out for drinks and irony was that because I drank alone at home, could not drive to go out to pub and drink juice with people!

Hugs to all
Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
getting there

Hugs to Flgril and buttercup. Hang in there!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
getting there

...and Pupmum too! I love your new avatar and tagline.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by colagirl View Post
...and Pupmum too! I love your new avatar and tagline.
Romes the dog very flattered!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

End of Day 1

Amazing day apart from feeling effects of last drink. Friend and her family came to visit and so had someone could really talk to. Got message that my new dog (a retired greyhound) has hitched a ride and will be here Monday evening. Then went to house-warming which was great fun - talked, watched rugby and danced. Now home and about to hop in shower and then read in bed.

Why on earth would anyone drink alcohol when life is so good without it???? (yes, you are welcome to quote this back to me if I ever doubt it)

PupMum
Old 07-12-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lived thru day one without too much misery. Now starting day two. Just for today I will stay sober.:ghug
Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 1 begins........

Completely stupid last night but drank (alot) and feel like crap today. Hopefully, that will make me not want to drink today. We are going to Mom's for dinner and she doesn't drink so that will help too.

Congrats to all who have made it past my pitiful Day 1...keep up the good work. To those who are with me...I am starting fresh today and so can you:ghug3
Old 07-12-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Just wanted to poke my head in here to say "hello."

RELAPSE. Ugh. I once started a thread entitle "Groundhog Day." If you've ever seen the movie, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

For those moving through or stuck in this particular thread, anything more than a few weeks seems virtually impossible. For me it was overwhelming.

In someone else's post a while back I read it's not helpful to even think "I'll never drink again." In fact, it's best to push that thought away as far as possible and focus on the here and now. The moment.

One day at a time.

I found before -- when I was chronically relapsing -- that being overwhelmed with this whole process kept knocking me down. I started breaking my efforts down into smaller pieces. I countered, OK -- OMG -- I WANT A DRINK with "take a walk, Liz." I'M SO FREAKING ANGRY I'M LIKE THIS with "hold on -- where's my ipod; I need to chill."

Most often -- I try (note the present tense) to check out SR. Even if I'm too emotionally or physically drained to post, I READ. My own posts first, sometimes, and then others'.

One final thing -- the one day at a time thing is also a mind game for me. I'm at 55 days today. It hasn't been easy, but I've never been sober this long in my 26 years of over-drinking (and over thinking, lol). Every time I even consider drinking -- and I once had a martini in hand ready to take that first sip -- I ask myself, "do I REALLY want to ruin this????"

Hang in there. You're all SO incredibly worth it. :ghug3
Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks New Leaf! I needed that inspiration. I am back to Day 1 and really pissed at myself. I need to get a few days under my belt, so I, too, can say "Do I want to ruin this?" I have no more excuses. I HAVE to do this before I ruin everything and everyone I love. Thank you all for continuing this thread. I NEED the day to day support. Hugs and support to all of you.:ghug
Old 07-12-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I am still ok, which is amazing!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Day 2. The disease continues to mess with me. It tells me that I can just keep drinking until I am able to once again move out of the folks' place, get a job and an apartment. Then I can quit. Until then, I need the comfort of booze to deal with my current situation. The reality is I need to quit in order to move out and get my life back on track, this time alcohol free so I wont screw it up again and end up back at home.

I could drink today, whenever I drink it automatically becomes "no resoponsibilities time". When I am drinking I am allowed to not care about my money situation or responsibilities, or worry about the future. I just play with my dog, or hang at the beach, or veg in front of the tube. The problem is when I take the first drink after I wake up in the morning, everyday, then 24/7 becomes "no responsibility time." Bills go unpaid, the apartment becomes a mess, car breaks down cause I didnt get an oil change, bosses call to find out where I am, etc.... no responsibility time sucks.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Day three here and feeling very hopeful. I'm praying to God to keep me sober today. Tomorrow I'll make the same prayer.

:praying
Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day two here

Hi All!

As promised, I am posting here today to check in. Had a quiet night with my husband last night and woke up this a.m. feeling wonderful. I so want to keep up this momentum. Please keep me in your thoughts as you all are in mine!:ghug2
Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm really overwhelmed by all the courage on this post. I'm on day 70 today, but before that I was -- again and again -- on for 2, 5, or 6 days (even 40 twice), and then knocked down for the count.

It takes a lot of guts to get up from the mat. Keep getting up. The key for me: at some point I decided that doing AA full-on was actually the "softer, easier way." I was finally too frustrated to do anything else but follow other people's advice.

So anyways... Don't get frustrated with yourself. It's the disease, and not your own character doing this. But saying "I need help" was a real key for me.

Thanks for all of the brave posts here.

-- NM