Notices

Another "oh, I'm sooo hungover" post...

Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say that I read in a book that almost everyone who had 6 years of sobriety will stay sober for the rest of their life. I think it as only about 3% who relapsed after 6 years. I can try to find it if anyone wants to know. I think this statistic sounds a lot more true (from the people I know) than the other one that you said most fail after 10 years. Just wanted to give a more hopeful, and more accurate perspective !!thanks :praying
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Thanks for the info Rusty (and everyone else)...much appreciated!.

Rusty...how many years had you been drinking, how often did you drink and how much did you drink at a single sitting?. Finally, what did you drink?. I know these might sound like silly questions but I have a reason for asking them (long story).

Need4Change

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
need4dang you ask a lot of questions... thats a good thing, now for the answers ya need to hear, just not might like..

1- How did you detox at home?

the old fashioned way!

2- What was your "program"?

A.A.

3- What types of drugs did you take during your home detox (ie; benzos to prevent seizures, D. tremens, Naltrexone, etc)?.

NONE!!!

now, need4, this is how it went down...

hit the abysy of alcoholism, wanted to die, and if i didnt do it, my alcoholism was soon to do it!

readers digest version...

wound up in the rooms of A.A.

got a sponser, was stil drinking, he said, you have to get a clean day! ugh!

i thought life couldnt go on without "ME"... my business!... ppfftt!

so i decided to House Cow it...

no doc, no meds, no nothing, and yes, i knew i could die from DT's, Seizures, a Heart Attack, or have Brain Damage... and if any of my friends are reading... No Comment please!

so need for, you might say, i was as willing, as only the dieing could be...

to spare you the play by play... thats someware else on this board...

what i can tell you is, if ya can get in a rehab/program, do yourself a big favor...

bottom line, it was the worst 10 days, and the best ten days of my life on this earth...

bad, It Sucked!!!

good, i pray on it every morning what i went through, and its my daily reminder of why i do what i do to keep on living sober...

hope that answers your questions...

xxoo, blessings, and recovery...

rz
Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Rusty...how many years had you been drinking, how often did you drink and how much did you drink at a single sitting?. Finally, what did you drink?. I know these might sound like silly questions but I have a reason for asking them (long story).
1- from the age of 12, to the age of 48... yikes!

2- in the beginning, maybe every weekend, then a few other weekdays tossed in, then every wekend, the progression led to every day, some pharmicuticals tossed in ta-bott.. put them down at age 30, then ouchy'wow-wow, did the booze'n take off...

3- went from a few at night, to noon and night, to morning noon and night, to not going more then 10-15 minutes without it, or the shake, rattle and roll would play!

4- went from beer, to beer'n mixed booze, to straight booze, even drank grain a few times! XXX

amounts from two to six, to eight, to twelve, to 1/5's, 1/2's, to all i could keep down, and if i couldnt, would hurl to get it out, and to get it back in... morning dryheaves to get a jump start on it!

real discustting huh!

point, it ruled my mind, body, and mostly, my soul...
hope this helps need4...

now, my question... ???

give us the readers digest version of the reasons you ask...

xxoo

rz

ps, need4, i'm stil shake'n the hard times loose! lol

relativly happy, and sober tho!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I learned how to drink while doing crystal meth amp. I went from drinking nothing to drinking gallons of beer and tequila and doing meth too and not sleeping for days and days. I used to take of for the month of February every year for 10 years because it is the shortest month. I would not drink or smoke or snort anything. Somehow I think that is part of what saved me. Cause just about time I started feeling pretty good I would start using again. Each year when february rolled around I was in severe need to stop drinking and I would be hung over really bad at first...

When I quit for good my hang over lasted about 6 months it was awful awful enough to help me see that I would never poison my body like that again.

I decided that I had to get control of my life cause alcohol had done a really lousy job of running me. I dealt with my issues around getting drunk and none of my issues was enough to make me want to do that to myself anymore.

the 20 odd years that I have stopped being a drunk have been good. I am so glad I gave myself sobriety cause I am worth it. I know you are too.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm not a big fan of Rehab. Thanks to television and the party girls, society views rehab as a processing machine that turns drunks into normal functioning people. Load the Alcoholics in one end and sober people come out the other end. It doesn't work that way. It doesn't remove your desire to drink and increase your desire to stay sober after discharge. You're free to leave at any time but you forfeit your $10,000.00 when you do. What it does is keep you in check for 28 days where you are closley monitored so you can't drink. If you want to get sober that way, punch a Cop in the mouth and you get the same thing.
What they don't tell you is that it's a 12 hour a day residential AA meeting with worksheets. They also don't tell you that after discharge it is recommended you attend AA and work the steps. I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that nobody has checked out of rehab with their desire to drink removed. It still takes persistancy and perserverance along with strength and dedication. That's not something that is given to you at your cup hanging. It comes from inside of you.
Now's when I expect a beating from the ones that have been to rehab and are an actual success story.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

cuda, beating time.. lol

i know the one that worked for a drinking bro of mine..

he did the salvation army one, no fancy, schmansy joint that was...!!!

it was a six month comitment... lots of work, both physical, and spiritual...

again, the old fashioned way...

this dude is now 8 years clean and sober...

and never left, he got a job working there, and changed his entire life around!!!

and yes, its A.A.based...

now, where the hell is that need4 to be read'n all this? huh?

later cuda...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Cuda, I think you've got a point in that rehab isn't going to work anymore than any other program if you don't really want to work at it. The desire, the [I]need[I] to stop drinking has to come from within, as you said. After that, how you get there and stay there...well, I think different things work for different people.

As I mentioned, I have never been to rehab, but I have supported two dear family members through rehab in the past five years. My best friend is now 2 years sober, and as you said, is continuing with a program after 8 months in rehab. She got a lot of good counselling there which helped her deal with some of the issues that helped fuel her need to escape reality. On the other hand, my aunt was no sooner out of rehab (for the 5th time) than she was back at the bottle. She's dead a year.

It all depends on what's within, I think.

Thanks for pointing out that rehab is not an assembly line for "happy shiny sober people". It can work though.