View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Pinkcuda

I'm not a big fan of Rehab. Thanks to television and the party girls, society views rehab as a processing machine that turns drunks into normal functioning people. Load the Alcoholics in one end and sober people come out the other end. It doesn't work that way. It doesn't remove your desire to drink and increase your desire to stay sober after discharge. You're free to leave at any time but you forfeit your $10,000.00 when you do. What it does is keep you in check for 28 days where you are closley monitored so you can't drink. If you want to get sober that way, punch a Cop in the mouth and you get the same thing.
What they don't tell you is that it's a 12 hour a day residential AA meeting with worksheets. They also don't tell you that after discharge it is recommended you attend AA and work the steps. I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that nobody has checked out of rehab with their desire to drink removed. It still takes persistancy and perserverance along with strength and dedication. That's not something that is given to you at your cup hanging. It comes from inside of you.
Now's when I expect a beating from the ones that have been to rehab and are an actual success story.