Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 2

Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I would say he will be gone soon....might want to put a little rag over him to keep him warm.....let him be comfortable..

one party down...one party to go....
Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

hey ladies...welcome to all the new mommies...my house is total chaos right now...and i'm on about 4 hrs sleep...2hrs last night and 2hr nap...i wish this insomnia shite would go away...i want to sleeeeeppppp....more than two hrs at a time...i feel just like i did when i had a new born...

well....i'm a huge steelers fan...one of my first memories was watching the steelers in a room full of screaming men...and this year it has been a room full of grown men crying....giant hairy grown men...not a pretty sight...but we did get our sb...and i watched that game with my mom...she was such a fan and she was having a good day...and we sat here alone together and screamed...it is a wonderful memory...she got to see her team go all the way before she died...

now i have a moment of calm...don't you love that...when everyone's nuts and for some reason (in this case the simpsons..)everyone gets quiet and you can hear yourself think again...ahhhh....5....4....3....2....1....and chaos again....i take the calm where and when i can get it...most of the time i'm locked in the bathroom...it's my favorite quiet place..

well ladies....i think after your "baby" hits two...you can no longer claim you are "fluffy" because of your pregnancy....i like the old "i'm retaining water" excuse...but really i'm retaining twinkies...(or maybe you're retaining bud light...)
Old 10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

(((Candy))), we just had a hamster funeral at my house a couple weeks ago. My son's verrrrrry old hamster died--same thing, finally slowed down and holed up really still & quiet in his little house. He died while the kids were at school. Like Beezy said, just try and keep him warm so he'll be as comfy as possible. Poor little guy

(((Ayla))) have you tried anything like chamomile/lavender tea? Or hot milk with honey & nutmeg before bedtime? I hope you're able to get some good sleep tonight.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I just finished icing 24 cupcakes for the Halloween fundraiser bake sale tomorrow. Can I tell you all how much I hate cupcake icing? Does anyone have a recipe for cupcake icing that does not taste like pure sugar paste?? Ugh. I'm queasy from sampling the icing to make sure it was edible (added some orange flavouring - it helped some, but still waaay too sweet.

Are everyone else's kids as wired as mine are tonight?? It's like they've already eaten their Halloween candy and they don't even go trick or treating until tomorrow!! Man - it's like the most exciting day of the year for them, it seems.

Hamster still faintly breathing, although I had to really stare at him to detect motion.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

wow! i've been away so much and have so much to catch up on! you guys have been busy and welcome to all the new dudettes on our ranch! (may need to explain that one).

poor little guy **{CS}} hope he goes quietly to hamster heaven.

**{liss}} my theory is that preschoolers break you in for teenagers, which break you in for aging parents. just a thought. hang tight and know that you are surrounded by good thoughts and love.

codi! lmao at your story about your 7-year-old! don't you love having to leave the room or hide your face because your kid makes you crack up? that is one of those things they don't tell you about in the mommy books, and it is one that actually is fabulous!

**{ayla}} thank you for the kind thoughts and laughs! to think i missed posting during the whole pink line adventure!

**{jane}} congrats on pouring the bottle out instead of in! i'm telling ya, you need to have something handy to drink that helps with the cravings. for me, it's my diet limeade (kinda tart, kinda sweet and low-cal). i went buggy saturday night because husband wouldn't let me eat his special chocolate (don't ask) and we were (gasp!) out of limeade! i had to call my sponsor. seriously.

i have had the week of rollercoaster h@ll--good, bad, frustration, happiness, anger, resentment, bliss, accomplishment, worry, hate, sadness--and whatever state of mind that I may have missed writing, I had! And through it all, I stayed sober. There but for the grace of hp and my new-found friends here and at AA.

interestingly, i am feeling a little stronger. now that i am sober, when things happen they are not distorted through the haze. and if i can't go running, i can try to stand strong and hold my ground. i have the security of knowing...instead of the insanity of not trusting myself. if that makes sense?

still need to get back to my description--love to think i'm scooting around when in reality i'm driving minivan around the countryside--lol! i am kinda dirty blonde (also called highlights ;-) and i used to have long hair--now it's shorter near chin-length and my eyes are green. about forever ago when meg ryan was popular (circa 1988-89 or so), people used to say i looked like her, but i think it was the personality and mannerisms more than anything. now, i look like a reluctant soccer mom--you know, i think i'm cool but if i walk like a soccer mom and talk like a soccer mom..... and bwaaa on the manicured nails--if i can splurge i might get a pedicure in the summer but imho anyone with manicured nails and toddlers isn't working hard enough at it. and ok, so i'm still a wee fluffy myself--and my wee one is 3. but i have lost between 15-20 pounds so far (mostly booze bloat i guess) and hope to keep going. yay! go me--hopefully off to the gym.

sorry gals, ain't much of a football fan--except for Eagles (Steelers if not against Eagles--so don't flame me) and Ravens semi-fan here. right now i'm too busy shuttling between karate and soccer practices. woo-hoo, now there's a sight for ya: me with three kids, soccer balls and uniforms and karate getups balanced on two wheels zooming around to get groceries and pickup that last-minute forgotten birthday present! ah, if only it were legal ;-)

halloween tomorrow! carving pumpkins, trick or treating, parties--can't wait! kids are psyched and i'm trying to make sure i don't forget anything! they are all movie or tv characters. their choice. i fought a good fight but chose to let this one go. and btw--i am so envious of those moms who handmake their kids costumes--it's so nice (but are they insane? i want to wring their necks because they up the bar so much--lol!)

well, need to get some rest. this time change kills me. can't stand to wake up in the dark and eat dinner in the dark. it'd be cool if we were in norway or somewhere more exotic, but otherwise, it's a little grim. hmmmm, maybe that's good atmosphere for halloween?

whatever happened to the floating ranch cruise? i need something to fantasize about! plus i'd love to meet my sr buddies.

night-night, sleep well my friends and all your animals (of all kinds including human).

good morning, my dear c'est! and a happy halloween to you! comment vous applez-vous "halloween" en francais? (did I say that right?)and sweetie, no matter what color you are, you are always our friend.

Last edited by scootinbabe; 10-30-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

good morning ladies...i am a little jealous of all of you today...because we had trick-or-treat last week thursday, and the school parties were on friday...(i have no idea why...how stupid, right?) all of our halloween celebrations are over...
it's funny about hand made costumes...my brother and i were laughing about our "ghetto" homemade costumes...and my mom was creative...but all of the other kids had shiny new masks...and we were in something like garbage bags...or my dad's old clothes being "zombies"...or whatever...and it kinda sucked...and i know how hard my poor mama worked on those "ghetto" costumes...and for handmade things out of garbage bags they were amazing...but all the other kids saw was that you were a witch in a garbage bag...hehe

hey candy, how's your poor old hamster?...my best friend's son's hamster just died...and it really was sad...she had a little hamster funeral...

jane...how is that pretty dog? healing OK? hope everything's ok...

codi...hi!

alissa...where are you? we miss your cheerful self...sweetie...

scoot,fred,igfan,beezy,mary poppins,c'est..(we miss you!!!!)newbies....and all of my girls...

HAVE A SPOOKY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love and hugs to my dear friends...
ayla
Old 10-31-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Happy Halloween

Hello Ladies....and a Happy Halloween......the goodie bags are stuffed, cupcakes done..everything ready for our last school party...then our party, (of sorts) tonight...having some friends meet here for homeade chicken and dumplings and homemade bread...

we carved the pumpkins last night and it was fun...no i am drying out the seeds, our favorite part...my knee is feeling better and I am still hanging in there...I just wish it was gonna be warmer for tricks or treats...oh well...Just wanted to stop in and say hello...I really have like 6 loads of laundry and a house to get cleaned up for visitors.....

Hope you all have a great day and I will pop in and read how everyone is....

~Beezy Happy Halloween...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Well, poor little Hammy met his maker late last night. We buried him under the cherry tree this morning. RIP. What a way to start Halloween. The little one was most upset, but I cheered her by having her imagine him romping around in heaven with two of our cats, grandpa and her uncle. The thought really comforted her, thank heavens.

Carved three pumpkins last night too -- LOTS of seeds to dry as well.

Scootin', did I say you looked like Meg Ryan? I ask because I KNEW it. I thought it, if I didn't write it! LOL! I'd love to look like Meg Ryan...and I sure hear you about trucking the gang everywhere in the minivan. That's me too!

Had a big fight with my 13 this morning. Man, do I hate arguing with that kid, but she drives me crazy sometimes. She took her laptop into the bathroom while taking a shower this morning!! i can just imagine the steam isn't that terrific for a computer! Then she was surly to me as she was rushing around trying not to be late. I mean REALLy surly. I just can't stand that she sets such a poor example for her little sisters and that she can manage to be so rude before 9 am in the morning! Yeesh!

Hope all my fellow cowgirls have a wonderful day today, whether it's Halloween or not (what's WITH that, Ayla?)

Hugs to all!
CS
Old 10-31-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Candy so sorry for you little ones loss, my 3yr old has a hampster named Hammi too.

I have 9 yr old girl that is just a bear in the mornings i dread when she hits 13, ill need all the help of many higher powers that be to stay sober through both my girls teen years....LOL

Made my daughter a dead football player costume last night..not to "ghettoish" for a homeade job.....lol
Little one is gonna be Jasmine, and my 15yr old son went to HIGH SCHOOL as the grim reeper wanna be guy dude????? dont ask me!

I am going to be something I have never been before on halloween.
.....................SOBER MOM................able to pass liqour stores with a push of the gas petal, able to drink coffee non stop for 24/7, able to wake up feeling refreshed and help kiddos in time of need, able to recall events in the last 24 hours ....no she isnt a figment of the imagination she isnt a super hero shes more powerful she is ........SOBER MOM!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

13 year old daughters...aren't they the BEST?! I have one of those!! Head strong, moody, stubborn and an ego the size of Texas!! I pray for the stamina to raise this child!!! And what cruel twist of fate that she starts her period the same time I start menopause!! I need to wallpaper my bedroom with rubber so I don't injure myself as I beat my head against the wall...Candy, if you would like another, I can have her packed in an hour!!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Krys_wyo:
I am going to be something I have never been before on halloween.
.....................SOBER MOM................able to pass liqour stores with a push of the gas petal, able to drink coffee non stop for 24/7, able to wake up feeling refreshed and help kiddos in time of need, able to recall events in the last 24 hours ....no she isnt a figment of the imagination she isnt a super hero shes more powerful she is ........SOBER MOM!!!!!!!
WOO-HOO! !!! YOU GO, Krys! I love it!

Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

School parties are over...now just to get through my dinner party......I dressed up like a witch and the kids loved it...but this makeup is killing me as I slave over these dumplings......

talk to you soon....can't wait till this holiday is behind me....whew.....
Old 10-31-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Beezy, I can't get the image of you in a witch costume out of my mind -- slaving over the steaming dumplings!
"Double, Double
Toil and trouble
Fire burn and
Cauldron Bubble"
Mwahahahahahahaha

My monsters are trick or treating with my friend's husband and I am running up & down the stairs shelling out. (Good exercise!!)

CS
Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

well, if we would have had trick or treat today it would have been freezing and rainy again...so it's just as well we got it over with...plus my hubbie has worked 24hrs in the last 48...and i would have been trick-or-treating alone with my three monkeys...
my poor hubby, he is paid in commission not by the hour...so it's much less rewarding to work the long hours he does...if he doesn't close a loan, he is not paid...
poor me....here alone with my three crazy kids...
i made homemade veggie soup today...and the meat in it was dry...how in the hell does meat get dry floating in a gallon of juice? but other than that it was really good...for me...poor chase thinks i'm a great cook...i hope he grows up and either learns to cook or meets a woman who is a good one...the poor guy deserves a decent meal in his lifetime...

i hope your kids don't get tummy aches from their candy...mine are eating the last of theirs right now...can you say hyper?...poor poor me....

did i mention that i made fresh bread? and aside from being a little doughy it was warm and yummy! you guys must be rubbing off on me...i'm trying to be more domestic...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

IT IS OVER.......all parties accounted for and candy galore....witch make up removed and dinner was delish....got the kids bathed and down for bed...school tomorrow...I see why they might have done it on the weekend...in OH-IO....

So we had a bon fire and ate smores and now everything is quiet ...i am off to bed as is my hubby...just wanted to say hola....and back to normal tomorrow...whatever that is......cept taking down all the decorations...

AZ...you are getting domesticated.....and yes...meat can get dry...did you seare (SP??) it first ??? and i love doughy bread !!!!

Love to my gals...

~Beezy ~the witch of the midwest
Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

beezy, baby i bet you made a hot little witch....

candy i'm so sorry about your poor little hamster

hey SOBER MOM...(krys) how did it go? isn't it wonderful when the cobwebs clear and you start hitting those 'firsts'...congrats...and when your daughter is being hormonal...do what i do...chant "just 9 more years...just 9 more years...just 9 more years"
of course now 'adays....kids live with their parents 'till they're thirty...we'll be stuck with ours 'till they are in menopause themselves...
hey ruby...so glad you are posting...it's nice having women who can not only relate to you as a mother, but as a recovering mother as well...we are not unique but are hard to spot in the 'real world'....
jane...yes, i have tried EVERYTHING....not taking naps...chamomile...warm milk...even putting baseball on the tube...i have even tried meditation and yoga in the past...i'm no stranger to insomnia...but never in my life has it been this bad...i am up until 4 or 5 am!!!...and when i try to force myself to go to bed early it backfires...and those are the worst nights of all...so i get some housework done...sit here reading...or watching tv or whatever...and wait until i know i'm about to pass out...
i would ask my doctor for help...but he is pill-happy and i sure as hell don't need a new pill...plus i often need to be awake and coherent in the middle of the night...if one of my kids is sick...or needs a drink...or whatever...
i even tried cutting caffeine out of my system and all that did was keep me up...with a headache...btw...how is that doggy? did you answer and i missed it?

ok girls...it's time for a new vacation getaway....i was thinking of a two week long spa vacation somewhere...massages...shopping...slow walks through the woods...evenings by the fire gossiping in a lodge somewhere...lots of giggles and good food and fun...no testosterone or children allowed...room service and pajama parties with scary movies and popcorn...long soaks in the hot tub...lazy laps in the pool...horseback riding...no dieting or calorie counting allowed...watching the sunset while sipping virgin drinks with little umbrellas in them...quiet, quiet, and more quiet,....oh yeah...we're so going...

love.....hugs.....and much affection......
ayla
Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I never sleep either Ayla....It is like I just cannot switch my mind off.....plays all night...but when I do sleep I have some pretty great dreams...mind just races....I am so tired and all I want to do is curl up and go to sleep...but of course ...not an option....I am trying to stick to my diet and all this candy is killing me....

all this talk of teenagers is making me want to insist mine stay 4 and 6 ...at least by then I will have like 5 yrs of clean time under my belt and should be able to adapt...or then I may really be in trouble...

I wonder how janes' dog is....and Alissa i hope you are doing good....

Krys...loved your sober mom....I know I was trying to remember how I ever function on the holidays and I cringe...all junked out and just a mess....

5 months today of no drugs and it does feel good...i still get urges but have refrained....again it is the support I get from you ladies and your love that keep me going...

I am with Ayla....spa sounds great !!!

Candy sorry your little hamster passed...ours passed away a couple weeks ago...must be that time of the year for hamsters...

where is C'est....she off greeting ???? I have not seen her around but again...I have been saturated with things to do....
OK...i STILL....have laundry to fold so I better get started...or it will overcome me.....

Love to all ya fine gals...
~Beezy
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

CONGRATS on 5 months, Beezy! You are amazing.

Ayla, you are getting domestic--bread & soup from scratch? And your kids eat it? Way to go! Mine really dislike most of what I make (except for bread, brownies, & cookies)--if they could have McDonald's all the time they'd be happy. Yuck.

I think C'est posted the other day that she's off on vacation for a few days. I don't remember when she's due back.

I wonder how Liss & Alissa are....?

Jazz is doing SO MUCH better, guys--thanks for asking after him! He's not nearly so stiff & sore anymore, but his bruise looks just awful--it's HUGE now--there's this sharp blue-black line (must have been where the edge of the beam hit) surrounded by a growing red/brown/purple bruise the size of a sirloin steak. I've been putting Arnica gel on it, which seems to help a bit. It's just weird to see such a bruise on a dog. Oh well, he can't help it if he's bald!

Kids are off school again today ("teacher collaboration day"), so later we're heading out to my friend's house in the country. She homeschools her kids, so they're done with school by around noon most every day.

It's stinkin' COLD here this morning! I'm all for the vacation getaway--it just has to be warm there!

Have a great day, gals!

Love,
Jane
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

AAWWW Man, can we leave for that vacation like... YESTERDAY???

I've been stressing out alot lately! I seem to be very good at that! My job drains me sometimes... It keeps me on my toes! I'm telling ya, it is REALLY like having 30 kids. I've been kinda thinking about getting another job... and some doors are starting to open, but then I just get so sentimental about this place... I mean this is where I got sober. I have alot of great memories here. I don't know yall, sometimes I just don't know what to do.

I am so glad trick or treating is OVER! Mally (my daughter) was so fussy last night. She didn't want to wear her costume, then when I finally got it on her, she didn't want to wear the shoes. And to top it all off, she WOULD NOT walk. I had to carry her all night. I really got my excercise for the YEAR!!

I just have so much going on, it would take about 5 pages to tell yall everything. So, I'll just do it a lil bit at a time! I guess the biggest thing right now is my job. I love it so much, but I kinda feel like it is time to move on...

Well ladies, I shall be back later

Lots of Love to all of my Mommas!!!!
Alissa
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

alissa...hi honey! you should post here more...it always makes me feel better...and i'm sorry you had to lug mally(beautiful name) around all night, how is your back feeling today?when it comes to work...do what makes you happy...

jane...so glad your pretty dog is ok...and yes, believe it or not, my kids eat veggies...except for sophie...she only eats chicken nuggets and fries...at least i can get her to drink juice, sometimes...

beezy...maybe a spa, massages, and long walks will relax us enough so that we can sleep....i always thought i had bad insomnia before...but ever since i quit it's been a nightmare....and i'm so tired, it's a wonder that i ever get anything done...yawn...no wonder i'm insane...

hugs + love
ayla