Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hands Across Time Zones, Part 3: The sun is always rising somewhere in the world

Notices

Hands Across Time Zones, Part 3: The sun is always rising somewhere in the world

Old 08-21-2006, 11:56 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

MAX!!!
It's so great to see you here.
I think that quiet discontent must be universal because I know exactly that feeling. I also feel like now that there isn't such an up and down with my emotions on a demon roller coaster, I'm just not sure of what to do with flat feelings. I think it makes me edgy because I'm so used to wild emotions. I can't wait to hear about some of your summer trips, so please share.

Miss C, I'm sad to hear that things are not going smoothly in your life. But, man, you sure are an inspiration to come here with your life spinning wildly out of control and give such calm soothing advice. I want to be more like you. I wish I could fly you here and have you be my life coach.

Michael (BMUS/Scotty), thank you for resurecting the thread. I can't believe that Rae and Max came back out of the blue just when this started. Are you believing yet in any universal force greater than the force you have on who posts here?

And of course thank you to DREAMZ for the word. I was missing it when I posted earlier and was feeling like something was not quite right. Talk about CONTRIBUTION! This thread has 5 pages of contribution in a short time because we all care about reaching out to one another - in all parts of the globe. If we didn't contribute here it might leave someone feeling lost and alone. There's no need for that anymore.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:22 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Lol - Friend of Ted.......!

Morning from the UK.

I have some advice.

Don't work from home when the kids are on school holidays. If you have an office go to it.

I'm going to the attic.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

LOL

It's 7 a.m. in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and it's sunny.

And I posted on a few other threads yesterday morning and realized the huge typos and spelling errors I left.

You would think that I had learned a lesson about posting in the morning.

I'm on 45 days (I think) not drinking and 5 days not smoking. I feel alright. I'm getting a ride with a friend to work so I can attempt to run home. Before I started drinking heavily I used to run to work and home everyday at my old job as I'm a lazy exerciser.

I find myself starting to get into the stuff I did before I drank now.

Good morning to everyone!!!

BTW - Dreamz I love you use of colours and fonts!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:40 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Hey Carol
Life Lover,, Hope you dont mind if I call you that C'est..
But yes I have heard from GOD many times in my life and this was one also.
You can call it what you want but I always know where its coming from.
Whether it comes directly from GOD or not I just give GOD credit because its
just easyer for me to explain that way. I spent alot of years not believing in GOD. It was difficult and confusing.
I just find it easy to thank GOD and give GOD credit. I feel its selfless and
frees my mind for my QUIET DISCONTENT...LOL
I dont really believe in heaven I believe its all here and I need to do the best I can. I dont look for some eternal reward.
When I didnt believe in GOD I asked a wise man why he did.
He said it was just easyer that way. Made sence to me and
I have believed since that moment.
Some times I choose the easy way.
Max
Old 08-22-2006, 07:45 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone,

It is 9:35am here in Houston, Texas, hot and humid as usual, this has been a very hot summer here. I am 22 days sober today and very proud of myself, a few months ago I wouldnt have been able to go 1 day without drinking.
I think AA is a good thing(commenting on some earlier posts I read) although havnt been able to go since license is suspended, but when I get my driving privileges back in December I plan on going back, I went to a couple before I had my court date for my last DWI which was about a year and 1/2 ago and also went to one when I was in jail which I had to serve 2 weeks in county jail and that was an eye opener for sure and it was amazing of all the different types of people and their different stories and some of which I could relate to.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone .............It is 8:20 am here in California and the sun is hidden behind the fog .........makes for a moody day.........................But it is off to a walk anyway and get some fresh air..............I need the time to think and early is good around here while there is no one around...............Seems most everyone is either still asleep or off to work...................Well see ya all around as I am off for now.........PS....Hi Houston Glad you are doing good today.....Keep up the good work...........................Little Penguin
Old 08-22-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Thumbs up

OOOH!!! I'll never be able to remember all the great things said here today (in order to respond)...so, I'll just do my best, and hope the rest of you will understand and forgive the omission.

Scotty...it was told to me many years ago, take what you need and leave the rest. I used to go to a meeting in one of the worst sections of Newark where every other word was the "F" one...it really bothered me, too. But, there was such good sobriety there, I learned to overlook in order to get the benefit of their experience, strength, and hope.

CLV...don't worry about the edginess...just keep thinking "This, too, shall pass." I think it's quite the norm to feel that way in early sobriety. I never knew the meaning of "free-floating anxiety" until I quit drinking!!! WOW!!!

Max...you naughty boy, you. I get out of circulation for a while, and you get "crazy" again. What am I going to do with you...except love you back to sobriety! Enough with the "grand experiments" already...there...consider yourself properly chastised! I've missed you...good to see you made it back to the fold...we never hear about those who don't, you know. Mamma Rae

DREAMZ..."Contribution"! A really good one, because sometimes the only thing we're capable of is just showing up...but, that is enough in and of itself. If no one showed up...here or at meetings...there'd be nothing to show up for!!!

I just love you guys...my fellow HATZ'ers. Thanks for all the good contributions today. I really needed this!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Jersy Girl you are the best .........How is your day really going where you live? I am still trying to figure out what my day has to offer and I am in need of some coffee....................A good walk is on my mind also and I am off to do that and finish thinking about my Recovery......Lots to do and so little time to get things done.......................Recovery is on the top of my list for now..................See ya all later...................Little Penguin...............Hugs to everyone......
Old 08-22-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Hey all,

((Rae)) Thanks for the words: "free floating anxiety". bingo! having a name for these feelings is helpful.

Now I can sit with my "free floating anxiety" as if I were in a stream and IMAGINE the flowing waters washing it downstream~~~~merrily merrily merrily, unti all that remains is peace. (act as if, righT!!)

((Erin)) Wow! You are focused! I love it!
((Penguin)) You remind me how easy it CAN be to change my perspective by someting as simple as a walk in fresh air.
((Needtobesober)) Glad you are at THIS meeting of fellow recoverers.
((Max))I LOVE that you are keeping it simple! As far as faith/no faith....I will too!
((C'est))I guess I am so good at the internal divide that I compartmentalize my free floating anxiety...and only focus on the good stuff. Positive denial, maybe? Anyway, I am soo honored to share with you...hope you know that!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi miss communicate........Glad you are here today and always nice to see you are in a cheery mood.....Yea I like the fresh air anytime I can get it......Don't like being cooped up inside as I can get pretty depressed...................I am still young and have a 6yr old to walk to school which is nice.............Most people my age have teens or those in college......Not me as I got married later in life and I am glad I waited.........Besides I needed to take care of my recovery program in the best way possible........I always tell others it is best to have a couple years or so behind you in the program before getting married or having kids.........Best to have your feet planted on the ground......................Anyway I am good to go for now and am on a roll today....................The sun is out and it is 1:30pm already......Must get going and talk to ya all later...........................Little Penguin
Old 08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Wow...just found this thread and it is very cool. Just home kicking back a bit as I did not feel good so did not go into work and slept half the day here. It is beautiful weather outside and want so bad to get out there and have fun but I best take care of me first so I can work tomorrow.

expenguin....I am like you and got married later in life and did not have my kid till I was nearly 30. I sobered up really young and was grateful for that so my son has never had to see me take a drop of booze in 11 years he has been around.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. Nice to be here again.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hey Teiger!

Welcome!
Since you're home today if you are feeling up to it, let us know alittle something about you, maybe tell us how you got sober at so young of an age?

Its always so inspiring to hear other people's recovery
Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

MAX! I am so glad to see you again!

Carol, thanks for that link--I will have a look at it as soon as I'm done here.

EVERYBODY--isn't it nice to see this thread hopping again? And I'm happy to see new folks join in, too. Welcome!

At the moment I am beating back the urge to slip over to the *blasted* liquor store. It's day 5 since my major screw-up, and my alky mind is whispering, "You're body's had a good break...a little 'pick me up' would be a nice reward." ARRRGGH! GO AWAY! So I'm being quiet on the outside, but giving that rotten little voice a good talking to in my mind (wouldn't want the kiddos to think Mom's gone around the bend...) Well, whatever works, right? I really don't like feeling so unhinged.

--Time for some positivity now (is that a word?). It is not "5 days since my major screw-up," but 5 days of sobriety. So there.

And now to cook up a good old fashioned dinner of comfort food: fried chicken, sweet corn (just picked from the yard!), homegrown little grape tomatoes, and buttermilk biscuits. (I'm doing my best Aunt Bee imitation tonight. Aunt Bee would never have touched even a drop of wine, right? But you have to watch out for that Otis, ya know...)

Well, have a great night/morning everyone! Thanks for being here. It's helped me get past the liquor store urge.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Omigod! Jane,

Your dinner sounds soooooooooo yummy! I am starving..better get to cooking.

Also, I love that 180 you did into positivity!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:12 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by janeeyre
MAX!
--Time for some positivity now (is that a word?)
Hi HATZers.

It's 10:03am Here in Australia - Nearly the end of winter but its pretty sunny out feels like summer's here already . . . YAY!!!

I'm totally stealing the word for today from Janeeyre so THANKS Jane, hope thats OK?!?!

Word for today is...... POSITIVITY!!!
For the simple reason that we all need positivity in our lives - something to hold onto, something to work towards, something to share with others, and of course something a little bit colourful. I think POSITIVITY sums that up beautifully!!!

Love to you all. I was having a bad and sluggish morning but everytime I come to this thread, positivity just runs through me and I end up happy for the rest of the day.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Good Morning all,

Welcome Teiger. Glad to have you here. Please tell us more about yourself.

Jane, way to just say "no" (boy, did I hate that saying in the 80's). Anyway, I'll be over for dinner soon, thanks for the invite!!

Well, I have a friend coming over in a while and we're going out for lunch. His wife has taken their newborn to her parents, so it's one of the few times he can get away. He's one of the few people here I've been able to tell about all this, so it's good to see him.

All of you talking about having kids is making me a bit depressed, as I was married at 24, separated at 27, and divorced at 29. I'm now a middle-aging 37, and I'd like to have some friggin' kids! Of course I have to, umm, what was that intermediate step...., oh yeah, find a girlfriend who will eventually become my wife. Right now I'll settle for the girlfriend.

Oh well, if these are the largest of my problems, I guess I can't complain too much.

I hope everyone is doing well today.

Take care,

Michael
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Dreamz--you are welcome to the word!

Miss C, my 180 has gone back the other way! ACK! Dangitdangitdangit. I am soooooo wanting a big ol' chugalug of wine right now it's ridiculous. So here I am again...........I'm gonna make it past this.....WHEW!

I kinda burned the biscuits, guys. But the corn was delicious!

Aww, don't feel bad about the girlfriend/kid/wife thing Michael.

-- Hmmm. I have a great friend who's in the same boat.....if only you two could meet.

(STOP IT, JANE! NO matchmaking allowed!) Sheesh, I should have made my screen name "Emma" (as in Jane Austen's Emma). Please ignore me.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by BeamMeUpScotty
All of you talking about having kids is making me a bit depressed, as I was married at 24, separated at 27, and divorced at 29. I'm now a middle-aging 37, and I'd like to have some friggin' kids! Of course I have to, umm, what was that intermediate step...., oh yeah, find a girlfriend who will eventually become my wife. Right now I'll settle for the girlfriend.
Boy do I know what you mean. I want to skip stages. At the moment I just want boyfriend - I'm sick of feeling lonely and sad so I don't really care who I go out with at the moment as long as I can settle into that relationship stage!!!

Anyway hope you find a nice girl in Japan (? Is that where you are ?) and have a thousand babies and live happily ever after!!!! (or something like that)
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

It's funny how important this thread is to my morning - just like it is to Dreamz. I NEED to check in here or I can't do anything.

So now I can start my day with POSITIVITY! I've been having a lot of that free flowing anxiety lately mostly about how I'm approaching recovery. Instead of just not drinking, I think I need to make it complicated and have been really upset because there are things about AA that just don't seem the best for me. After taking the time last night to read about 4 different programs and chart the aspects about each (yeah, I do stuff like that), I've determined that there is none that exactly meet my needs. Looking at this in a POSITIVE way, I've decided that I can go to AA for now and gleen what I like while also trying to add some things I like from other programs until I find a middle ground that is perfect for me. Voila!

So to start my new approach, I'm going to take a walk and then come back to SR (rather than sitting here for hours and complaining that I don't have time for a walk). See you all later. And THANK YOU for being here.

PS Dreamz, how's that for color?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone...I POSITIVITY know I can share a tip..

In early recovery . I timed my cravings.
Mine were 5/7 minutes in duration.
I can overcome most things for that short time!

I took action during that space.
Brushing my teeth...eating a Lifesaver...drinking water
(notice the oral connection?)

The longer I stayed sober they lessened in both frequency and intensity.

Keep going forward...