Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hands Across Time Zones, Part 3: The sun is always rising somewhere in the world

Notices

Hands Across Time Zones, Part 3: The sun is always rising somewhere in the world

Old 08-18-2006, 03:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hullo I am a 39 year old alcoholic from Johannesburg South Africa - the time here is 12h45(quarter to one in the afternoon) and I feel nervous but positive - today's my first day sober.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:12 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Welcome Saint,... Sr is a great place to help with your Recovery.

Congratulations on your Frist day Sober...!

read around some of the post.Introduce yourself with your own Thread...X

Im ... an addict/alcholic but thats not ALL I am...!

The alcholisum forum is a great place... SR is a great place... You will not be jugded... Dont be nervous...X
Old 08-18-2006, 04:38 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Have been reading quite a bit, Arura!! Thanks for the welcome! I do feel welcomed...
Old 08-18-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Excellent...! ...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:15 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Wecome to another in my time zone!! Glad to have you here Saint.

I'm a 37 yr old alcoholic at home mom with 3 kids, a husband and a dog living in France temporarily. I attend English speaking meetings in Paris and am hoping to come home a new person (at least a much saner and happier person).
Old 08-18-2006, 06:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome Saint,

It's now 10 p.m. here in Yokohama, Japan. I'm going into night 11, so not that much ahead of you. Hang in there, be ready for some sleepless nights probably, but don't drink. Each day your sobriety will become more valuable to you. There are plenty of people here who will relate to you.

Take care and keep posting.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks BeamMeUpScotty and c'estlavie - very encouraging!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Vancouver, BC - CANADA - yes.

It's a ferry away from Victoria.

It's 7:35 a.m. and instead of getting ready for work I'm on the Internet.

Oh... and I'm a 30 year old, alcoholic, single woman with a cat.

Welcome Saint!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

What a crazy weather day it's been today. It was gloomy, with a touch of warm now and then, then it poured, went back to gloomy, poured again, repeat, then the sun came out DURING the pouring rain. No wonder my head hurts today.

I'm feeling grumpy, but I went to a meeting anyway. There were several shares by people with lots of sobriety years telling how important it is to stick with AA and using the steps each day rather than falling into a complacent attitude. I'm frustrated because I want to be lazy. I want to just not drink. I guess as an alcoholic I don't have that option. Regardless of which recovery program I use, I still have to be vigilent my whole life or I'll give in to the desire to be "normal" which I just can't be. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Wow ....What a day this is starting to be and it is still early at about 8:20am and I haven't had my coffee yet.......Another day to sit back and see the fog burn away.................I am going to try to get things done today and enjoy my recovery time at the moment.............................I love ya all and am sending lots of Hugs all around................May take a long Hike and get some walking in.......................See ya all later...................Have a great day...........I will tip toe around for all those that are sleeping now.................Little Penguin
Old 08-18-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by c'est la vie
What a crazy weather day it's been today. It was gloomy, with a touch of warm now and then, then it poured, went back to gloomy, poured again, repeat, then the sun came out DURING the pouring rain. No wonder my head hurts today.

I'm feeling grumpy, but I went to a meeting anyway. There were several shares by people with lots of sobriety years telling how important it is to stick with AA and using the steps each day rather than falling into a complacent attitude. I'm frustrated because I want to be lazy. I want to just not drink. I guess as an alcoholic I don't have that option. Regardless of which recovery program I use, I still have to be vigilent my whole life or I'll give in to the desire to be "normal" which I just can't be. Anyone else feel this way?
Maybe we should start thinking of not drinking as normal. I mean for most birds, flight is normal, yet for the penguin, ostrich, and emu no flight is normal. On the opposite side, for most mammals, flight is not normal, yet there are bats. So, for us from here on out, not drinking is normal. It doesn't mean we're any less for it, it just is.

I'm off to bed soon. Take care all, and see you tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Interesting take Michael.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:34 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks. I tought so too. I get really profound when I'm tired.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:59 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Thumbs up Good Friday, the 18th!!!

Interesting take Michael.
Michael comes up with some doozies, even when he's wide awake

I forgot to congratulate you on the two months, CLV And congrats to all those who may have just made the valiant effort starting TODAY!!!

For anyone interested...I'm a 74 year old recovering alchy, coming up on 27 years sober (God willing and the creak don't rise - an old southern saying)...but, who's counting!

Gotta go...aide is getting ready to leave. Talk to you later, I hope.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Welcome, Saint! Congratulations on your decision to be sober.

Oh, c'est, do I EVER feel like that, especially today.

I screwed up badly last night. I'd had a great day and was in a happy mood when it occurred to me that a glass of wine sounded like just the thing. So I popped right over to the liquor store and as the saying goes, 'that's all she wrote.' STUPID STUPID STUPID! I have NO earthly idea what I was thinking! Naturally, I drank an entire bottle of wine and feel like absolute crap today, mentally and physically. How could I just toss away sobriety like it meant nothing? What's really crazy is that I bought TWO bottles of wine. The only good thing I did was pour the unopened bottle down the sink this morning.

I think I just wanted to be like a "normal" person who can have a single glass of wine with dinner and leave it at that, who can casually shop at the liquor store and have alcohol in the house without abusing it. So I pretended to be one, only it didn't work. I just have to accept that it's not possible for me (as I made clear to myself once again with the episode last night). I had been in a good place of acceptance before, then I wavered a bit, and here I am again. Back to square one.

Well, at least I KNOW I can be sober. I've done it before for a good long time and I can do it again.

So I'm right there with ya, Saint, on Day One.

Wow, Rae. 27 years is just amazing. I really admire you!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:21 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally posted by BeamMeUpScotty:
Maybe we should start thinking of not drinking as normal. I mean for most birds, flight is normal, yet for the penguin, ostrich, and emu no flight is normal. On the opposite side, for most mammals, flight is not normal, yet there are bats. So, for us from here on out, not drinking is normal. It doesn't mean we're any less for it, it just is.
My brain isn't screwed on quite right today so it took me a few times reading this to get it. I like it, Michael!

Here's to penguins, bats, emus, & ostriches!
:beerchug: <--that's Alka-Seltzer in the glasses
Old 08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Jane,

I am sorry you are feeling so low today, but, BOY! do I remember how that is!! You brought me right back to the reality of my disease and I THANK YOU!!

I cant tell you how many days and nights were consumed by that exact same cycle: feeling blythe and happy, which is as good a reason as any for a "glass" of wine, then off to the spirit shop to buy 2 (not 1) bottles of very good wine, as a reward for being happy I suppose...

Then, drink 1 glass and another and another, until the big question is: Do i open the second bottle or not?

About half of the time it was a yes. If not though, I would, in the morning filled with hangover remorse and self loathing, dump it down the drain, because at that point, it dawns on me that I cannot keep alcohol in the house safely.

This was my life for the last 3 years.

Today is a brand new day for you. You can learn alot from your experience last night, move on into sobriety again, and know that we support you 100% in times like now to keep on keepin on!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi everyone

rae great to see you around again

c'est, I really came here to give you a big ((((((((((((hug))))))))))) and thanbk you for your suppoort.

Love Kevin
Old 08-18-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey Jane,

You're a lot smarter person than I. Yes, you fell off the wagon, but you're back hear posting the next day, working through it and getting into the sober mindset again. Me, on the other hand, I went on a three month bender--really smart. I admire you for that. Please don't beat yourself up, as you won't change the past, just ruin the near-future.

Take care of yourself.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's great to be "seen", nogard!

No time to post much right now...just dropped by to wish everyone a good night, good morning, good day...whatever! It's almost 9:00 pm here.

Catch up with you soon.