Notices

Class Of December 2022 Part 2

Old 12-27-2022, 03:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats to all on your success. All are inspiring.

Pledging for today. Day 86. Long four hour drive to attend memorial for aunt who died unexpectedly last January. Then four hour drive back. Can’t leave old pets at kennel anymore.

Best to all for a peaceful and serene day.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good morning, lovely folks!

I'm so glad to see you, Misst. One week is amazing! What a wonderful gift to give yourself at Christmas - a fresh start! I am wishing you peace and blessings from middle America.

Glad that you are here, Erratic, and so glad that you are feeling better after illness. It's encouraging to see you taking steps to improve your life. You are worth it! Battling physical illness or pain always used to send me into an emotional mess and cultivate drinking/using thoughts for escape. I can now understand that (at least for me) the emotional/physical feelings are strongly tied together. When I'm emotionally a wreck, I physically feel terrible, and vice versa. I now recognize this as part of my addictive cycle. Emotional pain -> Physical pain -> substance use for escape and Physical discomfort -> emotional pain -> substance use for escape. So, basically, my brain was saying, "If there is pain, of any sort, RUN!!!" If I could stay "numb" nothing would hurt. But nothing would grow, either. Growth happens when I sit with the pain, feel it, look at its origin, and fully trust that it will not endure forever - that it is purposeful.

Anyhow, sorry for the diatribe, I've just been thinking a lot about how much better my physical body feels now that I am DONE and FREE. It didn't happen right away for me, but, incrementally, then almost miraculously, I feel healthier in body and mind than I have ever felt. Because I stopped poisoning my spirit.
Funny how slowly killing yourself makes you feel terrible.

Takeaction, I like to drink chai tea, spiced ciders, coffee, fruit smoothies, ginger ale, water, and iced tea. I haven't experimented with mocktails, but I'm training my brain to move in an entirely new direction, so I'm hesitant to "mimic" the drinking experience, if you know what I mean? My drinking experience led to DARKNESS - I don't want to pay homage to it. I don't want to internalize the message that I'm "missing out" on something, rather I'm choosing something else entirely. I definitely think this will vary from person to person, and I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with a fun, fruity, alcohol-free drink. I just, personally, wouldn't refer to it as a mocktail or drink it out of typical barware. That's me. Great job on 20 days!

Zencat - 4 months is out of this world! You're such a wonderful resource! I love your sense of humor, your positivity, and I'm excited to see all the layers of your onion self as you reveal them. Way to go!

Awesome to have you join us, Joe! Keep posting. We care and understand.

Runner, Zenith - keep up the good work! You guys are BOTH strong and open to learning. It is very hard to be both.

Off to work! Have a lovely, sober day, friends.
-TC

Old 12-27-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you for the feedback, Dee & TC. I can see how having a mocktail could bring all the negative back in a way. I’ve really explored the tea world lately! I just wanted that taste. I bought margarita mix with zero alcohol. It wasn’t really that good to be honest! It just tasted like icy lime juice. So I’m over wanting a mocktail.

Today is day 21 and I can’t believe it! Committed to my sobriety today.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey all!

I hope everyone had a great holiday! Congratulations to you that made it through sober - and to you that didn't - don't beat yourselves up. Just get back up.

Day 79. It feels so good to be back on track.

Hugs to you all!
Old 12-27-2022, 07:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just re-did my 24-hour post, dear Zen. SO sorry I missed your 4 months yesterday—congratulations!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 12-27-2022, 07:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cocktails—my favourite mixed drink is cranberry juice and sparkling mineral water. The sweet cranberry juice, not the bitter one I bought by mistake a few years back, lol.

I have never called it a mocktail though, or even thought of it that way.

I remember feeling nervous and insecure about attending a big family party when I was newly sober, and my sister started this tradition for me, and I am very grateful.

Love and hello to all of you. ❤️
Old 12-27-2022, 08:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Here is one of the t-shirt blankets I did for my kids. My daughter cried and my son said it was the best gift he ever received. Glad I did it, even though I'm obviously not very good at it.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you, love. ❤️
Old 12-27-2022, 11:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow Bobbieka, beautiful job! That's so cool!
Old 12-27-2022, 11:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

How's it going class?

Bobbieka, I love the blanket. The logos on the shirts draws my eyes all over it. it's fun, made with love and very creative - well done

TC
Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
How can I ever be free?

And then I had a lightning bolt ⚡️ moment of realization that Step 2 - “Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity” - promises that I will be restored. That I am restored.

That I am free.

Not because I have everything all figured out, but because my higher power is accomplishing that which I cannot.
!
​​​​​​​I like the concept of something 'bigger' than myself in the out there in multiverse that may have some guiding phenome. Perhaps in the 10th dimension there is wonder beyond our brain's natural capacity to grasp. Scotty beam me up, warp 10 please As a freethinker I do not constrict myself with labels I can identify by. My imagination is nebulas and ever dilating.
Thank you TC for your creative thought and you discipline to follow a God you know and love.

The Dao is cool tho
"Laozi in the Tao Te Ching explains that the Tao is not a name for a thing, but the underlying natural order of the Universe whose ultimate essence is difficult to circumscribe because it is non-conceptual yet evident in one's being of aliveness.
"[citation needed] - Wiki

Originally Posted by Take
My sweet tooth has been off the charts though haha.
​​​​​​​Me too, went out this morning and got me a cherry pie plus some super expense groceries.
It's like $10.00 a pound for chicken my lorady.

Mocktails - combo-mambo soft drinks for me. They be like coke a cola and grape juice
or something wild like tonic/pickle juice/sprite with a dusting of nutmeg Yummy for the tummy.

Dee. I never got the whole point of a non-alcoholic beer. I thought to myself I'd rather bilge water than a deceive beer'
Alcoholics of our type, especially early in recovery don't need a HUGE trigger to throw; us,'me, you, off the path.
As the ole saying heard in AA. "Hang out in a barber shop long enough you'll get a haircut."

Sober morning gratitude for that and some good snoozing, Almost noon here and much to do around the pad and play time in there somewhere in that "to do" list. Gots to have fun or I will become glum
​​​​​​​ ciao for now
Old 12-27-2022, 01:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all. ❤️
Old 12-27-2022, 01:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi love ❤️🧡💛💚
Old 12-27-2022, 04:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Citrus! How are you today?
Old 12-27-2022, 04:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

looks good to me Bobbieka
Hi Citrus!

D
Old 12-28-2022, 12:16 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning all waking up to day 8 today. Hope you all have a wonderful sober day.😊
Old 12-28-2022, 01:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morning x
day 2
good job on day 8 miss x
hope you all have good day xx
Old 12-28-2022, 01:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to you both

D
Old 12-28-2022, 03:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Citrus
2 days is great Erratic
Misstqueent well done with 8 days sober now.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Hi, Citrus! Glad to see you and hope that your holidays have been full of love and good memories.
Bobbieka, I love your quilt. My husband has one made from his t-shirts from high school and college, and he treasures it. It's a lovely gift. Way to go on nearly 80 days of freedom!

Up early, savoring hot coffee in the quiet, and looking forward to learning and practicing some new skills today. I am starting at the bottom of the totem pole in my new job, but I am determined to do my very best (which is pretty darn good, if I do say so myself!). I have plans to succeed.

I love the peace that active recovery brings to my life, in that, crap still happens (car accident, unexpected medical bill, and sick child, in my case), but I can let it roll through. It doesn't have to drag me down. It's not some sign of cosmic upheaval and abandonment. It just is. And I (in my pure, un-diluted form), can deal with each issue as appropriate.

I can handle it, because my HP has given me all the tools necessary. I simply need to keep those tools sharp (read, post, go to meetings, meditate, seek counseling, talk to a friend/sponsor) and refuse to purposefully dull (with drugs/alcohol) the razor-edge that I was born to be. Day to day life is a gift!

Open it up folks! Enjoy your present!
-TC
Old 12-28-2022, 03:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good morning to you, Zencat! Sorry I missed you earlier. Hope that your day is enlightening and full of wonder!