Notices

Class Of December 2022 Part 2

Old 12-28-2022, 09:14 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

early morning check in x
Back to work this morning and its going to be cold so guess just take it on the chin, least im not as ill as i was last week, so thats a positive. Just have to stay clear of any thoughts of the poison.
congrats on everyones time and welcome ben xx
so here goes starting day 3 x

have a great day all xx
Old 12-28-2022, 09:43 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Erattic
D
Old 12-29-2022, 12:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Well done misstqueent

D
Thank you Dee. Have a great day.😊
Old 12-29-2022, 02:16 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Zencat- and Venuscat- ahhh the mullet you say!
. I guess I never had a fullblown mullet.
Back in the 80s did always tell the barber, "shorter in the front and keep it longer in the back"
When COVID hit, I decided to give myself a Mohawk. I went on utube and saw the wide masking tape method.
I put a wide piece down center of head,
Then buzzed all else off .
The only person who thought it looked good was my next door neighbor Dave.
Dave makes Mountain Man hats out of furs.
he's the kind of guy that thinks a coyote on your head looks good.
Heck, I didn't want to look good for Dave anyhow!
No woman ever said it looked good, so I let it grow back.
Now my hair waves toward the center.

Anyway folks, thanks for your support on my concern about liquor store yesterday.
I had a nice time at my son's Christmas get together.
Everyone played nice in the sandbox and I wasn't stressed or too sad thinking of Christmases past.
I really didn't even give the liquor store that I had to pass much thought.
I'm glad I posted my worry yesterday, it helped.
Have a great day sober day folks!
Old 12-29-2022, 02:55 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad you had no troubles ZB

D
Old 12-29-2022, 03:00 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Tnx Dee!
Old 12-29-2022, 03:23 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Hi, Ben! Erratic, thanks for checking in! The first week is the most physically difficult, but IT GETS BETTER. Imagine, this time next year being free to eat, sleep, work, exercise, and participate in festivities as you desire. Dream of a clear mind and a content heart. There is a smorgasbord of beauty out there for you both, and you are moving in the right direction! No one reaps the greatest rewards when a substance dulls their life.

Brene Brown, a brilliant therapist who is also, personally, in recovery for alcoholism, speaks of vulnerability as a true expression of bravery. In order to be BOLD, daring, courageous and all of those other wonderful qualities, we must first make ourselves entirely open to disdain, derision, and defeat. There is no courage without vulnerability. By admitting your mistake, resetting your course, and asking for help, you have cracked the facade of your control. You can let the soft, hurting part of your spirit out into the sun (we'll stand around you to help block the wind!) and start to become who you truly are. Post the thread. Call the sponsor. Ask for help. Read the book. Do the work. This is brave.

You can live your dreams, instead of drudging daily through your fears. First step is to face the fear, open yourself to it.

Zenith - Isn't it great when you realize that the "temptation" is not that tempting at all? I'm glad to hear your get-together with family was pleasant.

Your wife sounds like an absolutely lovely person, and I believe that her spirit is honored by your continued reverence for her AND your commitment to revere yourself by putting down the wine bottle. Sometimes (not always), I think really pure love can hold a mirror up to our true selves so that we can see our beauty as our loved one sees us. That can be motivating when our own self-esteem is in the gutter. Entering recovery due to this reflection is not "getting sober" for another person, it is "getting sober" for ourselves, greatly aided by the reflective, dawning understanding of our own, intrinsic worth. Your recovery is a beautiful gift to yourself and to your wife's memory. Do you think she would have been happy with how your Christmas celebration with the kids went? I bet so. I'm grinning ear to ear typing this. Way to go, friend!!!

Proud of all the milestones here. Grateful to watch another amazing Kansas sunrise on my drive in to work. I like listening to Tyler Childers (folk, country, Americana artist from Kentucky) as I drive into the sunrise. It makes me feel like a backwards cowgirl - sober, grounded, and as happy as she deserves (through grace) to be.

Peace! Blessings!
-TC
Old 12-29-2022, 04:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thank Tough Choices for your always bright outlook.
it brings sunshine to my day!
Old 12-29-2022, 05:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Smiling at the mohawk story.

Love and good morning and afternoon to all of you. s ❤️❤️
Old 12-29-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday! Today is day 23 ☺️

Committed to another sober day.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Pledging for today. Day 88. Feeling pressure from wife as we are alone and we have not discussed my not drinking. Getting the impression she wants me to party with her but I can’t. Thinking of telling her today but not sure. Best to all.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I think telling your wife is a good idea, Runner. I have a feeling she will surprise you and be all about supporting you. ❤️
Old 12-29-2022, 08:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Am also laughing at the mohawk story.
Well done, Zenith. You are strengthening those sober muscles every time you overcome.

Runnerf - I vote tell her.

Takeaction - Way to go! 23 days is amazing!

Welcome BenfromLondon! I'm glad you are here.

ToughChoices - I'm also a big fan of Brene' Brown. Thanks for your awesome post!

Erratic - day 3 is awesome! Keep going!

Misstgueent - day 9 is so awesome! It feels like you are in the zone.

Zencat - glad you're getting good at changing your tire. I tried getting back on the bike last year. I don't know why they say "it's like riding a bike", it took me a bit to get back my stride. I didn't change any tires.

Have a great day everyone! This is my last day of work until Tuesday. I will have my granddaughters for a few nights. I'm really excited about that. If I don't check in - Happy New Year to you all!

Day 81.

Hey, Dee, Suze and Anna!
Old 12-29-2022, 08:48 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Runnerf- I'm sensitive to your dilemma.
. My older brother died suddenly in his sleep this past March.
He lived out of town and once a year me and my sister would go visit him and his wife for a few days.
My brother was an ex Vietnam combat vet.
Soon after his morning coffee he would start on vodka.
Then he would hang out all day at the VFW post with his cronies, drinking vodka and doing shots.
Anyhow he quit drinking for a few weeks to our surprise.
We went out to lunch one day and his wife(who knew he had a huge problem )hands her mixed drink to him and says" taste this Mike, it doesn't seem like they put enough vodka in it."
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Are you nuts?
Anyway Mike started drinking again soon after.
My sister in law is mired in grief right now.

Sorry for long story, I just think 88 days is pretty remarkable and you really should put your foot down.
. I know it's a bit of a touchy subject, I do understand how the spouse can feel.
They're losing their drinking buddy.
Anyway Runner I'm hoping you folks can come to a peaceful understanding.
Wishing you the best
Old 12-29-2022, 09:01 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Oh, zenithboy, I am so so sorry about your brother. How devastating.
The whole story is terribly sad. s
It sounds as if your sister-in-law might have her own issues, and I feel terrible for her. I hope she is leaning on the support around her. xxx

Old 12-29-2022, 09:04 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Cityboy was responding to Runner in the weekender thread—he is a good person to listen to in my opinion.
I don't think he talked to his wife about this in the beginning, but he got there and he has some pretty fantastic advice.

Good morning dearest Bobbie and all of you. Onward together. s ❤️
Old 12-29-2022, 09:04 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi all and congrats with all the milestones marching on.
Pledging another day sober. A scooch of soreness today, going to work nice and slow. Cat and I have a new game going. Stick with string gets pulled out of my hand, then Ry walkways with it and them comes back a drops the toy by my feet. 2 days he is doing it now. Cool fun with the cat.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:06 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about you, Zen.

I think you are a tech head like me, and I am betting you noticed that Google Lens (PITA) is hard to get rid of now, which makes it difficult to search for images.
If you know what I am on about and what the fix, I have it. (Insert evil laugh...take that, Google! ).
Old 12-29-2022, 09:11 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

These were Venus kitty's favourite toys. I would spin it on the table or floor, and she LOVED it. She would pounce on it to stop it and then chase it. I am betting I left a few of those under my fridge when I left Aus.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:55 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your support. I told her today on our walk with the dog. She was neither supportive nor dismissive. Her one comment was “so you drank too much so now you can’t drink at all”. I take that as missing her drinking buddy which is what I expected from her. She isn’t really morally supportive of me. She mostly takes the side opposite me especially with our adult son. I have to say that has changed a little recently as his toxic girlfriend has crossed her directly. Used to be me telling her the girlfriend was trouble now she has experienced it.

I will continue on the path of not drinking and get the support I need here from all of you wonderful people. Thank you all for being here and sharing your experiences and be frank and honest.