Notices

New Year Challenge Part 3

Old 12-15-2022, 12:48 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

It’s hard to put a figure on deaths, AL. I could be wrong, but I think it’s the minority if heavy drinkers who get liver disease. Meanwhile plenty more people end up with cancers, diabetes, obesity and heart disease from drinking which would be classed as lifestyle diseases. I don’t know what the answer is, though. UK schools do attempt to teach the effects of alcohol, but to be honest, life schools aren’t learned in school anyway. Smoking got such a bad rap in the west, that it must’ve been cut drastically although no tobacco companies went bust. It’s suspicious that alcohol doesn’t get the same treatment. Some strings being pulled somewhere.

Old 12-15-2022, 03:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oops back again with some balance Sorry to derail, AL. We and those around us are better off now we’ve quit Especially well done on the pics in this bonkers weather. I was driving home last night, blindly following the satnav as usual even though it was sending me onto country lanes and the temperature gauge said -7. I’m a slow driver at the best of times, but when it’s that cold, you can’t rely on roads being gritted. I’ll have to see what my satnav’s doing, but I rarely drive that late/far
Old 12-15-2022, 10:01 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Those images! Wow. I get a chill just looking at them. The colors are magnificent, but you can tell it's cold. Great job, AL, and fantastic thought process.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

This is it with the cold until it rains all day Sunday and you will have to hear me moaning about that again😅.
Long weekend ahead my last holiday i have left, going to have my daughter down from Dublin, shes almost the same age as me 😆 30.
Unfortunately alcohol stole her mam a few years ago after trying numerous times to stop.
Genetically she needs to be careful lot going on on my side of the family tree😬.
So i will be a taxi driver tomorrow night for everyone else and while they recover on Sunday morning i should have my walk done and having a coffee.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I’m sure the generic idea is plausible, AL, but I’ve sidetracked enough your great thread lately, AL. Sounds like a nice weekend in store
Old 12-17-2022, 11:31 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

beautiful colors in that sky.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thanks as always. I missed yesterday 😞 with my daughter down from Dublin for the weekend walks are non existent 😥. We went out with my family nephews nieces ect and they all had a few and others a few too many. I enjoyed the night and drove everyone home. It was way past my bedtime 1.30am i finished even my fitbit looked dissapointed with me waking at 10.30am this morning.
Must admit at around 10ish i was ready for my bed it was a long night. Before it would have felt the night flew (thats intoxication for you)this was the opposite and theres only so much sparkling water you can drink in one night. I also felt a bit of fear incase i picked up the wrong glass as one of my nieces drank vodka and white, i was really careful incase i did and always asked for an unusual shaped glass to be sure i didn't. Seemed small but a big one for me. Also everyone was very supportive and they had inquisitive questions to ask with no pressure put on me. I think its the fact i was the taxi😁 for nights end. Back walking tomorrow 🤞.

Heres on my daughter took of here grandfather during the summer.
We call it Papi.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

That's a sweet photo, AL. Being around all that drinking doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but I'm glad you made it through.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:17 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Im glad it really didn't bother me Tursiops. If it did I'd be out of there and my daughter would understand.
Just dropped her off to the train back to Dublin so a bit blue now but i will be fine between video calling and the rest theres no excuse not to stay in touch.
So its all back to normality for a few days and i even got the walk in early again, wet and windy and the sound of the sails on the marina are like Christmas bells.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:14 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I walk through my local marina a lot, and when it's windy, it's amazing all the sounds that come from the sailboat rigging.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:07 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

This will feel like a long week ahead. The build up, the excitement and its all over in a flash. Glad to be sober and feeling better for it.
Dark morning not long for the stretch. Its another obsession the stretch in the evenings more daylight. Not looking great for Newgrange on the 21st December. Thats definitely on the bucket list to see at some stage.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:56 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I had to google Newgrange, as I was unaware. How interesting! Hope you get a bit of sun on the solstice. My great-grandfather was from county Westmeath, not too far from there.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:10 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Happy winter solstice shortest day longer light filled days ahead puts a pep in my step.
Saw a murmuration of rooks this morning and then they all landed when i got my camera out 🤨. Great to see. This was only half of them

Old 12-21-2022, 01:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

You’ve definitely got a photographer’s eye, AL 👍 I don’t know how exciting or sociable camera clubs are, but that could be a new hobby for you.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I've always loved nature Hodd. Its just a lot more accessible these days now that im not hungover all the time. I wouldn't want to or tried to make the effort before of going out to take a photo.
I used to drive to work 99% of the time,such a different life nowadays.It a 50 minute walk to work i take because I want to. I wouldn't have believed it if i told myself that 2 years ago😅.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:12 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

*automatically hunts for thanks button*

Thank you for those photos, AL48
Old 12-21-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
I've always loved nature Hodd. Its just a lot more accessible these days now that im not hungover all the time. I wouldn't want to or tried to make the effort before of going out to take a photo.
I used to drive to work 99% of the time,such a different life nowadays.It a 50 minute walk to work i take because I want to. I wouldn't have believed it if i told myself that 2 years ago😅.
The things we do now 🤣 Plus the things we’ll do in the future! Things that we wouldn’t have dreamed on or maybe lacked the confidence to do in our drinking days … Long may it continue.

Yesterday I found myself in a spa! Obviously it wasn’t for my benefit. Surprisingly, I’m dating someone (another thing I wouldn’t have done as a heavyweight drinker, no one would’ve wanted me!), and it really really made their day! Even when I was getting a nothing massage and a facial (I’ve got a beard 🤣 ) thinking how pointless it all was, I realised how far I’d come to just go with the flow. As a drinker, I’d have been grumped up and ruined everyone’s day. Being nice for a change really does seem to work. Give it a go, AL, but maybe leave the camera at home 🤣
Old 12-22-2022, 04:10 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

In my line of work Hodd you have to be nice. Difficult at times as theres no pleasing some people. Its great when you meet a genuine nice one who can brighten your day.
i agree with that facial and beard's don't mix 😅 been there done that. Its my treat for myself when we go to Killarney and stay in the Brehon the spa is incredible but we cant do it too often though its expensive.

Fog filled harbour not much to see
Old 12-22-2022, 05:42 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Even in fog, AL posts top pictures 👍

I’ve had sports massages out of necessity in the past, and the people who do those are superb albeit very rough. So a softly softly massage is wasted on me, but it was all in a good cause I suppose. Yes, £85 each for an afternoon was pricey, but that was two treatments and pretty nice food included. I was the only guy there 🤣 Glad you’ve given spas a go too.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:00 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Sorry but it has to be said. It is December 22nd

"Theres a grand stretch there".