Notices

New Year Challenge Part 3

Old 12-04-2022, 01:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Free.
Lack of interest in my job is something that seems an issue now alright. I love my weekends off and being outside in nature, id love to incorporate it into my work life.
Now that im not taking up so much time figuring out how to secretly have my next drink, I seem to spend a lot of time thinking about the what if i did this or that these days, the endless what if questions can be difficult.
Just need to build up more courage to do something about it.
Must get the xmas bonus in first 🤭 before i do anything though.😁.
Thanks again Free.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Out early this morning 7am for a quick stroll before the Monday routine kicks in. Some really nice Christmas trees around the town and the fishermen have made their usual tree from lobster pots, it is just lovely. Puts a smile on your face. Admittedly not much to look at in daylight but its dark for so long now we will get over it. So expect a few festive photos this coming month🙃.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi AL, it’s a tricky one about job satisfaction. Unless you make a radical change, the next job will be similar. I’m supposedly an engineer and am constantly amazed how institutionalised some of my “colleagues” are. They’ve lost any free thinking or ability to question what’s right or wrong, and these are white collar types. In their position, I’d be terrified of being kicked out as they’re pretty unemployable elsewhere. But they’ve accepted their lot and lack of job satisfaction, and I do envy their ability (or lack of) to do that. After much job hopping out of one frying pan to another, I just get on with now albeit on a freelance basis. Hope you work it out
Old 12-06-2022, 07:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey AL, I totally get the job thing, the last job I took (at 50) I was not really interested in, but I needed it. I'd been doing some free-lance land development in the Bay Area which was wonderful but basically done, what with the 2007 financial and real estate markets about to plummet. I needed a regular paycheck and health insurance, but the company culture sucked (good old boy IT firm) and it was very technical which I struggled with at 50. But I loved my clients and had a lot of freedom to run my territory, so I did it.. for 7 long years, lol. But after my mum passed there was enough to retire early and I couldn't get out fast enough. If you need to work for another decade or more, I hope you find something meaningful. It's so draining to stay in something that is meaningless or conflicts with our values.

I loved this picture you posted - the flat grey of the ocean and tones of the landscape under the clouds is magnificent, my friend. It's like a painting.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice guys. Advbike thats my spot i like to sit here sometimes contemplating whats next but just being here in the now is what matters. If its sunny and warmer its just heaven.
Last night i went out but it rained and i took a walking shaking photo. Its a real spot for weddings now having a photo under the sail.

i must get a better one.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Such an unusual sky walking home from work this evening 5pm darkness arrives, daylight moving westward
Old 12-06-2022, 10:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That is stunning, Al.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Went walking last night and im looking at the town isn't it pretty. Then i started to think what i used to be doing at this hour. I'd much rather this and sleeping well exausted from work and exercise.
it was freezing this morning. Lucky I can walk and not worry about the car sliding off road.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

To have a job where you can walk to work, AL, is probably a dream for a lot of people, although I must admit working from home is great.

As ever, I’m in awe of your all-weather walks, and it definitely beats “existing” at home with a bottle of whatever poison. I was supposed to go run training with my club mates yesterday evening, but it’s just too cold so I went running on my own in daylight (and it was still too cold 🤪 ). As long as it’s not icy, I’ll get in 3 or 4 runs a week. You’re doing great, AL.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There must be something in the air Hodd.
I was pull aside today by a gentleman and he wanted to know my secret to the weight loss. I had a smile from ear to ear. Told him the main one was no more drinking, start walking and just being careful not to eat too much rubbish.
The big one for me was and is giving up the alcohol i said. I didn't go into the level i had got too but told him even having a few dosent give anyone the drive to get out there nice and early for a walk the next day.
I asked him if i had planted the seed and was he questioning his own drinking. He said he was and would think about it again. He said its the FOMO i said there none, your missing nothing and its lovely when you do go out you can drive home.
An inspiration he called me 😁. Im on cloud nine.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love that term FOMO 🤣 but it’s got its dark side when people think they have to drink or they’ll miss out.

I’m not always the most diplomatic writer on here, so I’ll write this next bit carefully I know we’re not self centred or narcissistic types, but when guys of our age get compliments about our weight or figure, it goes straight to our heads, and rightly so. We’ve earned it. Also, I don’t know about you, but I’m not used to compliments It’s time to hit the gym, AL. Nice and warm in there. You’ll soon have a fan club there!

told him even having a few dosent give anyone the drive to get out there
Next morning and that evening! So many people get home from work and have a drink. That’s it, even if it’s just one or two. Nothing exciting or productive will follow that evening, and definitely no gym or cool walks.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Not going to my head whatsoever Hodd 😅 they only notice as i was on the round side before and thats putting it mildly, it was brutal when i think about it.
lovely sunset this evening but just after 4pm isn't great for me. Like I've said before i hate winter🙃

Old 12-07-2022, 11:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It’s only two more weeks, and it starts getting lighter 🤣 Even I’m not glass half full enough to think that! It’s time to get an indoor hobby until March, AL.

Think about parts of Greenland and Russia where the sun sets in mid-November and doesn’t appear until the end of January! Even you’d struggle with pics and walks there, AL, and probably the polar bears too. I must admit I liked the mundanity of living near the equator where it’s 12 hours of daylight every single day.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It is a Great feeling to be able to pass on what we've learned isn't it?
Old 12-08-2022, 04:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It certainly is FK. I was a bit on the proud side if im honest 😁. Hopefully he will take on the challenge. He should have been out this morning full moon and Venus was very visible right next to it. Cold but worth the effort getting out there👌. Funny thing is i meet the same few people every morning. Nothing is said but a smile and a hello on on our way we go.

thats Venus just under the moon
Old 12-08-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Its freezing 🥶 outside tonight wrap up well.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I believe the planet photographed next to the Moon is Mars, which is brilliant in the sky these days.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You're right Caramel I just googled it😅 its so bright at the moment.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Its like Groundhog day Bill Murray in bed and the radio comes on, yes its cold outside. Fingerless gloves were useless this morning only good for taking the photos. Its a great feeling all the same.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Lovely, dear Al. ❤️