Notices

One Year & Over Part 84

Old 12-16-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We're dealing with very windy conditions this morning. The power went out at my apartment. I had to get ready by the light of my phone. Got into the office and the power was off here too. It came back on about an hour ago. The wind is dying down some, so hopefully the worst is over!

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 12-16-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Good morning all. This is my last day in the house until April. There is a possibility that I pop back in between groups but maybe not.

So I'm off to put the couch back together, try some different decoration on the fireplace mantel and find some sandpaper and another paint brush.

Off I go.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

So where do you go between now and April dear BeKind? s
Old 12-16-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:38 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

It’s frosty here

Have a good FriYaY my friends, be safe. xxxx
Old 12-17-2021, 03:29 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

SE, I agree - good for you for standing your ground. Imho, that’s incredibly insensitive of your in-laws to invite a crowd, especially given all the circumstances. Stand firm!

Thanks Mags and SG - I feel like I am becoming the broken down and whiny member of the group but love the Mercedes image :-). I’m perfectly happy to put this off.

Bekind, is your house not habitable (or reachable) in the winter?

FBL, hope your power stays on.

Hi Andy, Suze, PJ, Dee, and everyone else

Old 12-17-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

So, I got home about 5PM last night and the power was still out! That also meant no heat. I took a 3 hour nap, then decided to go back in to the office because it was so cold. I kept checking the outage status and it finally came on again about 2AM. So, i decided to go back home and help heat up my apartment with a space heater. I was able to grab a few more hours of sleep and a shower, and now I'm back in the office again. Hopefully the crisis is now over for good (knock wood)!

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 12-17-2021, 06:58 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

FBL, that sounds like way too much excitement for your day. Stay warm.

Sassy and Venus, the house is actually my Dad's not mine. It will be rented out until April. I am hoping to do a bit of a road trip. I have a VW van and will head for southern climes.

I really suck at figuring out something to do outside of my family. My codependency shines through in all this. Also I probably have a lack of vitality that comes with the depression. I really have a huge sense of inadequacy around all this. Ugh.

During the coming months, I will do my best to develop some of my interests. I have volunteered with Habitat for Humanity in the past and enjoy that. I am always trying to improve my Spanish. I do some costuming/sewing but am finding that I really prefer carpentry over sewing. Also I have some friends and family I have promised to visit.

Well I'm off to work on the house more: put a bit of verathane on some trim, pack up sewing and knitting things, text my sister, and haul the hose back inside.

At least I can be grateful for lots to do today!!!

Old 12-17-2021, 08:51 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Thx for posting FBL. I’ve been hoping that things didn’t get too bad for you all. Doesn’t sound comfortable. No heat in MN is serious!

Saskia - I feel like I’m falling apart too physically. No solutions, but you aren’t alone.

BeKind - my nomad days were hardest during the Xmas holiday week. I tried to book an activity like a yoga retreat so that there was a built in social component and structure bc most other things to keep myself occupied as a solo traveler would close down.

hubby has great family memories of his family all going to his grandparents. I had to remind him that they had a great room as big as our old house to fit everyone, they lived next door (vs 40 mins in the car), and our littlest one needs everything baby proofed or can’t be put down at the moment. Oh, and a pandemic. If there is ever a year to stay home and stay in our PJs, it’s this year. He reluctantly agreed, which is why I think the in laws keep pushing bc he isn’t strongly saying no. I know staying home is overwhelmingly the right choice tho.

happy weekend everyone.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:26 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

11 hour day done ~ TGIF indeed! I'm having an evening coffee otherwise I'll be ready to go to bed....and it's not even 6:30
Old 12-17-2021, 11:05 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.
Bread is baking.
I finally worked out my knees are hurting because I've lost the fat off my heels. I've made some insoles to keep my heels, ankles and knees lined up.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:45 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

Andy, good idea to make insoles, I worked with a guy who had to have one shoe higher than the other to line up his stance. You don’t realise what damage it can do if it’s not right.

Had an asthma exacerbation in the night, been feeling rough for a few days with allergic rhinitis. I had my prescription rescue meds (steroids and antibiotics) I can breathe a bit easier and my blood oxygen has gone back up. A rest day for me today.

Sassy, I agree about feeling like we’re falling apart at the seams sometimes…..thankfully we have great medical stuff to help us. (And your super duper sewing machine )

Have a good weekend my friends , be safe. Love to all xxxx

Old 12-18-2021, 12:01 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad you finally got the power back FBL! We lost ours earlier in the week for six hours and it can be dangerous with no heat this time of year. Fortunately, we had a milder day when this occurred.

Have a good day all!
Old 12-18-2021, 12:22 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Magsie

Yeah sorry FBL, pleased you got the power back on at last. Glad you had a space heater to take the chill off.

Old 12-18-2021, 01:30 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

FBL my son and a friend were without electricity after a recent storm, fortunately it came on after about 8 hours, another friend was out for a few days and as they had a young son, had to camp at the grandparents.

SE, men traditionally don't realise the effort that goes into Christmas, and we do all tend to look back at family gatherings with rose tinted glasses. I'm glad he understands, and stick to your guns. I think your in laws are being incredibly selfish and insensitive.

Sass, You are not whiny at all! Just keeping us up to date with your health issues which, as your friends we want to know!

Mags, feel better soon.

Bekind, I envy you your road trip, I sometimes imagine doing something like that if I was ever on my own again.

Have a great weekend all.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:56 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My apartment is toasty warm again. My landlord installed a new thermostat last winter, so it's all good.

Feeling a bit melancholy today. It was 7 years ago that I watched my Dad pass away. So very grateful that I got to share my recovery with him.

Plans are in place for my drive back to Minnesota next weekend for Christmas. I'm really hoping that Mom's nursing home will still be allowing visits, what with all the talk of this new Covid variant. I haven't seen her since April and we're both looking forward to my visit. My brother is hosting a family get-together for Christmas Eve, so am looking forward to that as well.

Have a Wonderful Weekend, overs!
Old 12-18-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

good Morning!

I'm new to this thread. I am suppose to go see my mom in her "independent living facility" for Christmas Eve along with 12 other people. I'm anxious about it, but have things set so I won't be tempted to drink after the event (which I have a habit of doing in years past).

Over all life is great for me right now. I've had some stumbling blocks this past week, but it really didn't occur to me that a drink was any possible answer. Instead I struggled to let go of trying to contrrol a situation I couldn't possibly control. Been practicing acceptance of the circumstanses ever since.

Today is going to be a good day. I have 3 days of dishes to do, but that isn't unusual LOL
Old 12-18-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hello again dear Ananada s

Setting up a plan to cope with the Christmas Eve event is wise for sure....and it sounds like it is going to be a special evening.

Love to everyone.....I have been crazy busy.
I decided that It was time I put my brain back to work. ....and I kind of set myself up to have the busiest year of my life which is good for me.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ananda! Holidays can be a bit more challenging for those that are sober!

The various power outages remind me of an early October in Vermont over 20 years ago when we had an ice storm. It bent all the poplars over to the ground. Most people were without power - some for as long as two weeks. Since I lived in the second largest city, I was “only” without for about 8 hours. My parents who lived an hour south didn’t get their power back for two weeks!

Have a super Saturday to all

Old 12-18-2021, 08:35 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Good to see your post this morning Ananda. Thanks for the reminder about detaching from things we can't control. It is an ongoing process.

Toots, I fantasize about doing a road trip and visiting you all: I could sew with Saskia, visit you in Spain, play frisbee golf with FBL (I think it is him who plays frisbee golf). I do enjoy my fantasies no matter how improbable.

Today I drive to my sisters to spend a few days. With Omicron coming down the pike, I'm a bit concerned. Last year I was holed up with my Dad so I took absolutely no chances. Now I'm out and about and so of course more exposed. Today I'm going to dig out an N95 mask and start wearing it regularly whether I like it or not.

I've been considering an Old Year Resolution in which I would end the year with lots of exercise. Trying to do something for 365 days is just too intimidating whereas resolving to exercise regularly for fourteen days seems way doable. Anyone want to join me?

Okay I'm off to look up a walk in the vicinity of my hotel, call my sister and text my renter.