Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 10

Old 03-05-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 10

continues from here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-9-a-20.html (Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 9)
D
Old 03-06-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Class!

Thanks for the new thread, Dee!

NL: Thanks for sharing your experience of therapy with us. I definitely think therapy can evoke mixed emotions and I totally get what you mean about pushing you out of your comfort zone. I do hope it helps in some way though and I also hope that therapy for your daughter goes well. Glad that car got sorted without too much stress / expense! Hopefully the shop can fix the error efficiently.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend ahead :-)
Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You too NC and everyone

D
Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

I hope everyone had a great weekend - wishing you all a wonderful, productive, sober week ahead!

Take care x
Old 03-09-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

back at you NC

D
Old 03-10-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Class,

I hope everyone’s week is off to a good start. It’s a little same old, same old here. Some more lost contracts and more HR issues. Trying to just stay positive and focus on the good things in my life. My mom is taking me for a spa night at a hotel in the countryside on Thursday which I’m looking forward to.

Take care all
Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thursday sounds like a good day NC

D
Old 03-11-2020, 02:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Yes I’m really looking forward to it :-)
Old 03-11-2020, 03:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi! Sorry have been MIA but look at us with our new thread and everything! Thank you Dee!

NC sorry about the lost contracts and continued HR issues. Sounds like a relentless slog so glad you are looking for positivity and getting the spa treatment thanks to your mom.

had therapy again yesterday. I really am starting to like her, and I think she is smart which is worth a lot. She didn’t have me do anything that got me crying too much so that was good. I again have lots of homework. She is really helping me understand things that should be obvious I guess but take a framework to really get. She uses the enneagram test and then talks you through where you are more or less strong. Bottom line I’ve focused on keeping the peace more than on standing up for myself, among other things. I have at least some renewed hope that with help I can shape more of what i want in my life (once I really figure out what that even is).

Hope all are hanging in there!
Old 03-11-2020, 03:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi guys! NC, the spa day sounds amazing, and it sounds like you definitely need it! I'm hoping the stress of the lost contracts and HR issues pass quickly.

Everything is going pretty well here. Like everywhere, people are very stressed over the coronavirus, but as it turns out it is the only thing that will make my organization allow telework. Everyone in my office is completely healthy, but someone attended a large event that included some folks who were later diagnosed, so we are actually required to work from home all week. It's obviously not the way I would like it to happen, but it has allowed me to eliminate my long commute and regain some extra time during the day.

Still no word on the new job, although my friend reached out to me on Friday to say I should expect a call about an interview soon. Hmmm.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy - have a great day!
Old 03-11-2020, 10:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Peeking in. Sorry I have been MIA. My vertigo became very serious and I couldn’t work or look at screens for 6 weeks, then one morning I woke up and it was gone. It is the most amazing feeling.

I am proud of myself though, at various points I was beyond miserable and really scared this would be my new normal, but at no point did I want to drink. Actually it felt a bit like being permanently drunk when you’ve had way too much and the room spins, it was a brutal reminder of what that felt like.

If anything it made me focus on what I do not miss. I am sorry I haven’t caught up with you all for so long, but I hope to be back more often.

Amazing how we take balance for granted until it goes.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad your vertigo got better and your recovery stayed intact Scotty

D
Old 03-12-2020, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi all! NL, we must have posted at the same time - I'm really glad that the therapist is able to give you some structure, and it sounds like the discussion is (hopefully) moving towards a set of decisions you can make, even if the decision is ultimately to maintain the status quo in some cases. It seems like it would be helpful to get your mind around what really needs to change.

Scotty, the vertigo sounds absolutely terrifying and debilitating - I am so very sorry you had to go through that! Hopefully, you have some good doctors who are able to advise you so that you never have to endure that again. We are here with you, and so happy you checked in.

Still no word on the new job, but I'm trying to use this time to get myself organized and ready to go back to the office next week. Of course, I deluded myself that I would finally start to exercise again and eat healthy, but it's been the opposite and I simply can't make myself care. Sigh.

Hi to NC and Dee, I hope you guys are doing well!
Old 03-12-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued best wishes with that job PS

D
Old 03-13-2020, 03:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Scotty, that sounds really dreadful. I’m so happy for you that it went away like that. May it never return!

PS are your schools closed? Ours just announced they are closing today and then next week is spring break but I doubt kids will come back right after. Strange times. Doing what I do I just really hope that kids have enough food, that their parents/caretakers will be able to be around to take care of them without losing their jobs and that the staff and caregivers who are in facilities are all okay through this. I don’t know what that looks like if shift staff with families get quarantined in a group care facility.

I’m also probably not going to visit my grandparents although we are flying up there to do that tomorrow. The nursing home is wisely not allowing visitors. And I don’t think my grandparents should get out to go see us, either. We’ll just have to see. He’s been very sick though not with COVID.

Strange times. Hang in there everybody.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all! Well, I feel like I'm starting to really get into my telework groove now that the week is almost over. Yesterday was a beautiful day here, and I was busy with work but also productive in a way that I never am when I'm in the office. NL, schools are cancelled for the next 2 weeks, which feels very strange. The challenge is to keep my kids occupied and preferably outside as much as possible, which is no small feat since they are both teenagers. I hope your grandparents stay safe and healthy, although it sucks that you planned to see them and now you can't.

I got a call to interview for that job in about a week and a half. I'm looking forward to it so I can move forward and finally stop thinking about it, whatever the outcome. Although as I type that, I know I want to successfully compete and get a job offer - so much for zen!

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 03-15-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi PS. We are on spring break this week but the district has not announced what they are doing the week that follows. It’s pretty tough trying to figure out what we are doing at work because our work force has to go into homes and facilities every day as part of mission critical work — so we are in a tough spot if we have our office workers safely working at home while asking everyone else to keep doing their jobs. Especially when we’re definitely not at a point where we can suspend mission critical activities. So we’re in a strange middle ground, which will get tougher and tougher as schools and potentially day cares start to close. We have daily calls. And for my work in particular the courts are just kind of shutting down and figuring out what that means is quite confusing thus far because every county (we have 254) and every court even within one county seems to be taking a slightly different approach. Strange times! I’m happy we’re up here with my family right now. I had thought we might stay through the following week if school lets out but I feel like that might be asking too much of them. At least if we do what my husband wants to do which is leave the kids here. I have no idea how we will do work and trying to keep the kids doing educational stuff and outside as much as possible. But I guess we just take each day as it comes.

I am so happy you got called for the interview! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!!

Have a great Sunday and week everybody!
Old 03-15-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi all! NL, I totally get it when it comes to your work and the ways you have to consider the community before the workforce - my previous job was exactly like that, and I feel so guilty for saying this, but it's nice to be able to think of myself and family first for the first time in 18 years. Especially when my kids were younger, I was constantly put in a bind because the schools closed frequently and last minute, while our offices remained open no matter what - even if no one came into them. I can see how government is in a serious bind, because on one hand they need to allow employees to make choices to protect their health, and on the other hand, they exist solely to serve the public. Hopefully, your operations don't come down to a few dedicated people who bear the brunt on behalf of everyone else at the expense of being able to care for their own families.

Our mandatory telework was extended until the end of the month. I'm not sure whether my interview will actually happen, but I'm looking forward to it if it does. In the meantime, it's unbelievably amazing to have some time to organize the mess that my home (and life) has become over the past 6 months. I feel incredibly grateful to be able to do things like make a decent dinner and check in on my parents. I was over there yesterday, and my mom is not doing well with her dementia, it's sad and I feel helpless. More on that later.

Battery about to die, check in later!
Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi all! Not much to report since yesterday, other than the fact that I finally donated a bunch of stuff and it was the best feeling ever. I have some unused space in my house that has been used as a dumping ground for anything and everything. I've learned that I need to be organized and clutter-free in order to function at my best, so getting cleaned up is my top priority during this period of isolation - that, and making sure my kids don't become mindless screen addicts. I hope everyone else is healthy and safe!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi all - me again! Dee, I was thinking of you because I know you have some other health issues that may put you at a higher risk. How is everything going in Australia, and are you OK personally in terms of getting the items you need?

Everything is the same here, I'm getting a lot done but also resting much more than usual. Sometimes I feel great and very productive, other times I feel restless and at loose ends with myself. I guess that's called life?

I hope other folks check in soon, and that everyone is staying safe and well!