Notices

Class of March Support Thread 2021 Part One

Old 03-17-2021, 03:02 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Nineteen Days of Cannabis-Free living...
Today will be Day 14 of daily sunrising.... conscious contact with God as I understand the Higher Power that moves in this universe and in all of us
2,636 days of sobriety from alcohol
17,670 days of life......

Today is a beautiful, blessed, cherished day for which I am grateful.
I have another chance to LIVE
I have another day to BE
I have another day to GIVE
Another lovely day, as ME

Happy Wednesday all.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Welcome, CaptainCrow! You will find that this forum is really supportive.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome CaptainCrow!

So bit in shock as after referring myself to the Alcohol Unit I was expecting a week or two before getting an assessment as this is the NHS and getting support takes forever. But I referred myself Monday afternoon and got a call this morning to the first assessment at 12:30 today! I am so happy as I am on Day 2 and really needed that boost to keep going. Not made it past day 2 or 3 for sometime now.

Keep fighting the good fight people! xx
Old 03-17-2021, 04:29 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Welcome CaptainCrow!

So bit in shock as after referring myself to the Alcohol Unit I was expecting a week or two before getting an assessment as this is the NHS and getting support takes forever. But I referred myself Monday afternoon and got a call this morning to the first assessment at 12:30 today! I am so happy as I am on Day 2 and really needed that boost to keep going. Not made it past day 2 or 3 for sometime now.

Keep fighting the good fight people! xx
Wow, that's great! So happy for you, that you don't have to wait forever. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2021, 04:43 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome everyone. I am happy to be here.

I am taking a tea break from work (at home, as we are in lockdown in the UK still) and reading some more on here. Good luck for your appointment MantaLady. Like you I am impressed by the swift response from the NHS. By way of contrast I've just had a text from my NHS dentist cancelling my appointment. Again. It was originally scheduled for 51 weeks ago at what ended up being a week into our first lockdown. 😐

Positive things so far : five pounds weight loss even though I'm eating loads, one HUNDRED pounds extra in the bank compared to this time a month ago. And that is even with buying my mum a huge bouquet (delivered - haven't seen her since August due to restrictions) for mother's Day *and* getting myself a load of nice tea of various types and a load of facemasks and other skin products.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:47 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by becky7 View Post
Hopefully my last day one! I posted a couple of years ago and have had some ups and downs and really no plan. It truly is not worth it to drink, I recently saw a quote about sobriety that went some like this... "give up everything for one thing or give up one thing for everything". I have more of a plan this time and posting here is part of it. This forum is a great place for support. Thanks for listening!
WeIcome to the group dear Becky! s ❤️
Old 03-17-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainCrow View Post
Hello. This is my first post. I only found this forum last night and I've been browsing and learning from you all since then so thank you. This is my tenth day sober. I've sort of fallen into it really and now I'm realising that if I work I can hopefully keep it. I told myself I was going to cut down my drinking. So I did, for a week. Then it was Monday and I thought no, I'm not going to buy the booze today. Then I thought ok so if I'm not going to buy booze then that's stopping. So let's stop.

I'd heard a lot previously about how great sober living is so for the last nine days I've been waiting for that great feeling but all I've felt is tired and flat and really wanting to drink. Like, I'm so used to doing something (drinking) and getting an instant result (being drunk) that I thought if I do the opposite (not drink) I'll also get an instant result (sober euphoria). Ha!

As you can see I have a lot to learn. So I've been reading through the materials on here and starting to realise that I am in charge of my sobriety and I can make it happen and I will get that good sober feeling but it's not going to happen overnight. So I'm making a plan, as set out in the pdf recovery document. I've already started doing some of the things suggested : vitamins, water, walking, reading, puzzles.

And in the meantime, nine days in. I've had a couple of events that would normally have me reaching for the bottle, but I didn't do it. And yes they were tricky but not half as tricky as they would have been if I'd been drunk as well. Plus they're over more quickly, whereas if I'd drunk I would have been ruminating over them for days, getting myself all stewed up and angry and making them more problematic than they are. This is a revelation to me by the way : that my old pal booze doesn't help me at all. It literally wastes my time. Not just on the drink but on the way I approach life when I'm drinking.

Anyway thank you for this site. It's helping me understand what I need to do.
WeIcome to you too CaptainCrow! s ❤️

These threads might be good resources for both of you. s

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

AIso this one

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-519-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 519)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

That's fantastic Manta.....hope the appt went weII. s xx
Old 03-17-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks Venus. Just finished the appointment and was very positive. Feeling empowered and it’s given me some hope. x
Old 03-17-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

That's so good to hear! ❤️
Old 03-17-2021, 08:15 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the appointment went well, Manta.

Becky, I'm glad you've joined us.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Hi all. Checking in on day 7. ❤
Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

HeIIo dear Citrus
Awesome to see you and fantastic re day 7!!!!!!! ❤️
Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

How are you dear BTG? s xx ❤️
Old 03-17-2021, 10:04 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great job on Day 7, Citrus.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

hi everyone

Fantastic on 1 week Citrus! Soooo good to hear

Manta I’m so pleased that you got an appointment so quickly! I really think this is a great support for you that will make a big difference

Thanks for the links Suze

It’s the morning of day 3 and I didn’t sleep very well, and am a bit headachey this morning, but I’m grateful to not have that seedy feeling after having drank the day before. Even if I didn’t have a hangover, I would have that dull, sluggish, “off” feeling. I’m having a lovely cup of coffee and I’m sure once I get up and moving I’ll be ok.

I’m taking a vanilla shake with me to work again today for the after work drive home. It’s funny, I don’t generally get into drinking protein shakes, but it was in the cupboard from the start of Covid a year ago (my partner bought it for “emergency rations” lol) and the best before date was approaching, so I thought I’d try it as a protein boost as I haven’t been eating much meat. It seems to really help to curb alcohol cravings, so I’m going with it as a regular afternoon anti-AV weapon
Old 03-17-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I used to Iove those WiIIow....Sanitarium Up & Go! s ❤️
Old 03-17-2021, 04:11 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

Willow, the vanilla protein shakes sound like a great idea.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:11 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I used to Iove those WiIIow....Sanitarium Up & Go! s ❤️
I agree Suze! They’re so yummy and also good for you

Yes Anna it seems to be helping
Old 03-17-2021, 05:52 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Day Two

Hi everyone... had a few moments of debating with myself around dinner time but made it another day! Reading the forums and a couple of books are helping immensely. I'm nervous about a hair appt I have Sat 🙄. The person who does my hair will fill two glasses of wine for me. Debating if I shoud reschedule and part of me feels guilty since I rescheduled the last one due to a terrible hangover. Feels silly to even write about it but I have and this is a safe place to share fears that would seem ridiculous to anyone who hasn't experienced addiction.
Have a good night 🙂