Notices

Class of December 2020 Part 3

Old 12-30-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

I think that is wonderful RAL honey.
You don't even have to do microphone if you just want to listen the first time..... s xx ❤️
Old 12-30-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

I tried out a SMART meeting RAL. I get feeling nervous but there was absolutely nothing scary or uncomfortable in my one experience. I hope that's somewhat reassuring. Pretty straightforward, the host talks a bit, people take turn talking about their situation, if they wish. The focus as your probably aware is on setting and achieving goals.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am not so sure why you think this is PAWs rather than withdrawal Tanky love....in my experience it took me around a month to get rid of all of the fog and exhaustion and feeling like I had been run over by a truck. I cried at sad ads on tv.....I was a mess....and then I wasn't. Just like that.

Now having said that we are all different...sometimes it is quicker than that, sometimes it takes longer.
But it did all go away.... s ❤️

PS....If you can, and I know you are a mega-busy mum....try and get a little more sleep than you normally would.
I increased from 8 hrs up to 9 a night....I needed that. xxxxx s
yeah okay , is probably still just ordinary withdrawal still , but two months seems long. Maybe just because everything seems long to poor Tanky brain. 😂

sleep? What is this thing you speak of? But yes, generally getting more sleep now that have passed initial insomnia phase. But was instructive that I basically only started dreaming again the other night. Poor fried brains
Old 12-30-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

I am not saying it isn't PAWs.....just sharing love. s
I know lots of people who said it took a few months to feel less tired and such.....just truly believe it gets better the longer we are sober. xx

Do you have a round foot tub?
Soaking your feet for a few minutes before bed in warm to hot soapy water is really good way to help our natural sleep chemicals kick in xx
Old 12-30-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Venus & Zura.It's good to hear of others' experiences. I used to read a lot about SMART when i got sober back in 2012 but haven't looked at it for ages. I'm going to make a real effort and get into it this time. No camera and no speaking either. Just listening to start with.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Tanky I had 20something days sober at the start of the year and I was not prepared for the foggy brain and low energy at all.

My hypothesis is that when we are actively drinking our bodies are continuously trying to process the alcohol so they can’t take care of any other tasks that need doing. When we stop the cycle of putting alcohol into our body it can then get busy putting energy into healing all our damaged systems which can be why we feel so foggy. Just my thoughts.

I hope that you perk up soon especially when you need to drive. Getting your kids names mixed up is just a sign of old age.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
So I am going to start SMART meetings and am joining one tomorrow night. Minus camera. Quite nervous
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it! That’s a great step to take RAL!

You cracked me up with your comment about your chickens being your black cockatoos. I totally laughed out loud!!! Love your sense of humour! Xx
Old 12-30-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Administrator

Black cockatoos are definitely real.

Lone Pine picture.

Tanky I had some complications with my detox but it took me nearly 3 months to start to feel consistently better.
Hang in there.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Whoa I missed a lot in a few days. Just checking in, I tried logging on Monday I think but was having issues.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
RAL

Originally Posted by SunnyCoastK View Post
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it! That’s a great step to take RAL!

You cracked me up with your comment about your chickens being your black cockatoos. I totally laughed out loud!!! Love your sense of humour! Xx
Thank you! Though my chicken comment was stolen from someone else

Yes looking forward to the meeting. I've been doing a lot of online reading into SMART tonight. I remember last time it makes complete sense to me. Focusing on life, goals and going forward, learning life skills etc. I have been to AA in the past and whilst the people were lovely I just couldn't get past the war stories and talking about the past and what bad stuff had been done. Whilst it was great to hear how people had improved their lives the drinking stories always had me wanting a drink when I left the meeting Of course everyone is different though and I know it works wonders for so many people so that' s not a criticism just my experience.

I've registered on the website and going to start working through the activities and reading tomorrow.

Day 25 coming to a close. Take care all and Happy New Year to you all down under x
Old 12-30-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  
RAL

[QUOTE=relena;7566183]Whoa I missed a lot in a few days. Just checking in, I tried logging on Monday I think but was having issues.[/QUOTE

Hi relena, welcome back great to see you The site was down on Monday. How are you doing?
Old 12-30-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Wow.....check out that cockatoo. What a majestic creature. ❤️

It will be OK RAL honey, just go at our own pace and talk to us.
And goodnight love. xx s

And hey Relena, awesome to see you. hug: ❤️
Old 12-30-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Doing ok for the most part, thank you Ral. Still feeling generally unwell, and the lack of sleep is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. How are you?

Good to see you as well venuscat.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Oh love I am sorry you are still so tired. s xxxxxxxxx ❤️
Old 12-30-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
RAL

sorry to hear you are still feeling unwell relena. can you maybe see your doc? I'm good thanks, apart from lockdown but making the most of it and trying to stay positive Let's hope 2021 is a better year for us all
Old 12-30-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Welcome back relena. I hope you start to feel and sleep better real soon.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you are posting again Relena

D
Old 12-30-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, you're all so kind. I know insomnia is an inevitable part of sobriety. My body needs to learn how to fall asleep again instead of passing out.

Definitely hope it's a better year for all of us Ral. I can't see a doctor yet, but I will have insurance in 2021. I haven't had insurance in 7 years so I don't know what to expect. I don't think there's anything a doctor could do for me right now besides prescribe me something to help me sleep, but I don't want to do that.

I kind of get quiet on here Sun-Tue. My daughter goes to her other grandparent's house, and I spend that free time with my S.O. I was at his place when I tried logging in on Monday.

In 2 weeks i'll be 2 months sober.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:44 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Sorry for excessive posting today. I promise to stop being so damn annoying soon. 😂 but just need to keep myself accountable today, it would seem.

Lots of thoughts of drinking - visualising first drink to point of salivating - seems it is actually after stress dies down (Eg no longer surrounded by drunk people), after kids go back to my ex. that is going to be the hardest for me . (Sound somewhat familiar story, hmm?)

Also lots of full blown dissociation while driving the long drive back home . very hard to drive when the whole thing is like some kind of bad acid trip and appears comically disconnected from me . Worried I will harm someone . so have stopped at a roadside - to try to sleep. Can’t sleep. So got up to walk around . And oh look, there is a damn pub here. So floods of thoughts of drinking.

oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no no , as TikTok would say.

So posting to SR instead. Then think I will quietly bang my head against a wall.

come back, black cockatoos. 🤦‍♀️
Old 12-30-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tanky! You want to stay sober! How much further do you have to drive? Can you get a coffee? Please post away it is lovely to see you here and to know you are posting instead of retreating

What time will you be home today? Have you got any sober plans for NYE? I’m having an early night and my friend is picking me up in the morning so we can find some place for brekky.