# 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jewel
Hope you're doing ok Puck.

D
Old 11-30-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Words of Inspiration

When I joined in December 2017 not a chance in hell I would believe that I could ever stay sober for 3 years. I was a hot mess with 30 years of drinking behind me (started early!!!). If I can do this, so can you. There’s been ups and downs and some really challenging periods. But I managed - day by day, YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Just trust me on this. I’m living proof. Make a commitment to do this and JUST DO IT. BECAUSE. YOU. CAN!!!!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Today is my 11th of 12 "Step Down" sessions (after care programme from the rehab I was treated in, conducted on Zoom these days). Looking forward to it.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Maggie (and Suze and Anna) for your support

welcome sort
Old 12-01-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I’ll try a class one last time. Sadly a few old timers will know me here as a serial relapse failure but I know that SR will welcome me back with open arms. I don’t post here when I drink – it’s not my style. So I tend to go long periods between posting regularly.

The first time I tried to quit properly was in the December 2017 class (Hi Maggie). I remember affectionally naming classmates as the ‘Decemberonis’ - it was a great class with some lovely people. I can still remember all of their names. I know at least one has passed away since that time albeit it wasn’t alcohol related. I wouldn’t be surprised if others have fallen by the wayside due to a more direct link with their addiction?

I am a wine drinker predominantly. I can drink between 3 to 4 bottles of wine a night – every night – no rest days – for literally months on end. I have become so ill that my tongue has been riddled with ulcers; my body bruised all down the right hand side (I assume it was my liver) and I put on terrible amounts of weight. My wife cries in despair and asks what happened to her husband? She never threatens to leave me but she cries that I will die and leave her alone. I guess it’s inevitable that I will die sooner rather than later if I don’t give up. We have no children – sadly my son (from a previous relationship) passed away in his teens unexpectedly. This didn’t help my drinking and the romantic nonsensical thoughts about suicide – but it wasn’t the cause of my alcoholism – even though it clearly didn’t help. Alcoholics love an excuse to drink. The morning I rushed to the hospital to see him die I was hungover. That was 12 years ago now.

Apart from the weight gain, the outside world sees me as being an extremely successful businessman. I am a CEO – majority shareholder in a big business in the UK – and I am pretty much financially secure. Drinking alcohol is the worst thing in my life.

I hope people don’t mind me joining this class as I guess I am not strictly a ‘Decemberoni’. I actually quit drinking on the 17th November and so this is Day 15 for me. I have started dieting – walking with my dog for between 3 to 8 miles a day again – and my weight training regime will start this week again too. At the moment I feel determined and good – but I know how insidious this addiction is.

Lockdown has been hard for us all I guess? This hasn’t helped me much but I suppose I might just be typing out another excuse? Anyway the ulcers are going – the body now has no bruises – I am sleeping better again – and I am losing weight (11 pounds – 5 kilos) in two weeks.

My name is Tony but most people always called me JT on here. I’ll leave it up to you what you label me.

Here’s hoping this is my last class and that we all help each other to succeed.

JT
Old 12-01-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JT

D
Old 12-01-2020, 03:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’m joining the class of December 2020. The alcohol is out of the house, and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Moderation does not work. I’ve tried. It doesn’t for me anyway.
I am driving home from work a new route I have that doesn’t pass liquor stores. I have plenty of carbonated water in the house. I am ready to do this one day and one hour at a time. This is my last Day 1. I must be honest with myself.
Thank you for listening. This is my last Day One.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too sobertoday!

D
Old 12-01-2020, 03:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome back JT. It is so lovely to hear from you

The only hope I can give is that I was the worst relapser ever. I gave up hundreds of times and relapsed hundreds of times.

IT ONLY NEEDS TO STICK ONCE!!!!!

My wife left me JT, out of the blue and collapsed my world. I've been in groups with you before and I spoke about how we were solid and she was one dependable thing in my life. Well, yeah - she left me. (Or is leaving me, we've kept it amicable and she moves out after Xmas. Long bloody story!!).

If I can stay sober anyone can. I was a terrible relapser. I just kept going, I learned something from every relapse even if each one hurt me and made me lose hope.

Youre a great bloke JT and you can completely do this 👍
Old 12-01-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Committing to December. Things are just so bad. I want more. From myself, for myself. My family, my son. I'm depressed. I want to/have to quit before i lose everything. So, as i lie here between my sleeping son and my cat, listening to my husband snore from the couch. I commit to December. I commit to 2marrow.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So much love to all of you!! ❤️❤️

Jewel, Tony, Backtogood, ST54....so good to see all of you! s
Old 12-01-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So I drank on Sunday and last night. I was about to hit the 3 week mark.

I’m really disappointed in myself. I’m not sure what came over me I just wanted a glass of wine and anything I did to shake the urge didn’t hit me. I just let the urge takeover.

nothing good happened by drinking. I’m just kicking myself now.

I’m committing to December. All I can do is move forward. Drinking just wants more drinking.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Really tempted to have a few. Most I could drink is about 3.5units (87.5ml of vodka) before the antabuse reaction would kick in, so it wouldn't be worth resetting my sobriety counter. And I desperately want to be 3 months sober when Christmas comes. So I'm remaining sober. Listening to This Naked Mind. I know alcohol is addictive poison and no good will come from drinking it, so why do I still want it?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You can put this experience in your sobriety toolbox dear Bodhi, and let it help you next time you crave a drink.
You know what will happen....and you know you can come here and talk and get help to get past the urge.
And today is Dec 1, a great day for a new start! s ❤️
Old 12-01-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Because it takes more than knowing it is poison to stop wanting it FF.
Keep doing your meetings and don't pick up a drink.
That's the most important thing. s xx
Old 12-01-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, First post after procrastinating joining SR. Thanks to my loving wife, I'm here.
She suggested starting off in the Dec. group.
She joined exactly 4 years ago and has succeeded from sustaining from alcohol since that time.
We both drank almost daily since meeting 41 yrs ago. I went to a treatment center near my home here in North Carolina in June.
Did the 30 day rehab and came out feeling good about giving up alcohol for the first time in my life.
Went pretty well, taking the monthly shot of Vivitrol. But decided several times to experiment with a couple of beers.
Long story short is I'm 6 weeks sober. Had intentions on doing some local AA meetings, but Covid put a damper on that.
Nevermind the fact I'm not keen on AA 12 steps. I have weekly sessions with a therapist which my wife joins in on most of the time.
Other than that I have no real plan. My goal now is to spend time on this form a couple times a day.
I'm pretty confident I can do this. Looking forward to it.

Hang in there PuckLuck, my wife recognized you and right away felt bad you were having a hard time.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Lovely to meet you Wayno. s ❤️

So very glad you joined us.....sounds like you have a pretty fantastic wife.
Glad she is doing so well.

Only way I know how to do this is together ~ I am 6 years sober and I am here every day on SR.
This is a wonderful community.
Onwards together. xx ❤️
Old 12-01-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Also, hello dear MaggieJ ~ congrats on 3 years sober!!! So so happy for you!!! s ❤️❤️❤️
Old 12-01-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

JT, I'm glad to see you here and especially glad that you are starting to feel a bit better.

Sobertoday, you've made some good choices and it sounds like you're determined to make this Day 1 work.

Bodhi, I found that getting past the 3 week point was significant for me. Maybe you can come up with some tools to make sure that you pass that hurdle easily this time.

FF, good for you for getting through this craving.

Welcome, Wayno, and congratulations on 6 weeks of sobriety.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey everyone I am joining I am sober for a few weeks and on track but December is particularly difficult for me so I am joining class to check in. Had long periods of sobriety but some painful relapses this year. My aim is to really get there, one day at a time but I would really love to get through December sober. Good to see your still here jewel and a few other faces. I have glanced through posts.....Puck I am so glad to see you here you might not think anyone cares but I was wondering how you were, miles and miles away. Right now I am drinking soda water with slices of lemon and cucumber I call it my detox water and it does really help if you are in those early days and you don't want to just drink plain water. If you are in those first days hold on and it gets better xx