Notices

One Year & Over Part 77

Old 10-10-2020, 11:46 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Andy I know Chris would be so proud of how you are continuing to bring up your kids, and she would be proud of the young adults they are becoming. (Hugs)
Old 10-11-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That must have been quite the emotional roller coaster Andy. As Toots and others have said, I am certain Chris would be extremely proud of how you have handled being the single parent. Your strength is an inspiration to me.

I think I might have slightly unnerved a coworker whose son just got out of rehab. I told her that there isn't a day that goes by that I still don't have thoughts or remembrances about drinking. The overpowering urges thankfully are long gone, but the AV never totally goes away and having spent most of my life working on being a drunk, almost all of my life's memories involve alcohol in one way or another. I was just trying to prepare her for the fact that alcoholism is not a thirty days and you're cured type of illness. Hopefully, I helped her to lay the mental groundwork that sobriety is a lifelong endeavor, happening one day at a time.

Expecting hurricane remnants over the next two days. We could use the rain, but not a deluge. I wish the folks in the western US could benefit from the vast rainfall this storm is producing.

Have a good day all!
Old 10-11-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Andy - what the others have said!

SG, that was a real kindness you did for your employee and her son.

Have a lovely day, Overs
Old 10-11-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

So glad that I decided to continue with my Saturday morning meeting. Had a great turnout. Even got to spend a little time before the meeting catching up with my beautiful friend, Ev. I may have posted this before, but here's a video she made for me earlier this year...

Silver GMC - Ev Natacha

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 10-11-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good morning all . . . . or what is left of it. My Dad and I will be zooming with the family to do Mass readings here in a bit. My mood continues to not be great in the afternoons but I'm working with it the best I can. Yesterday I got out to run an errand and also gave my 14 year old nephew a lift to a friend's. Fourteen year old boys are not known for being pleasant company. This kid is one of my favorite people in the entire world. He did lift my spirits.

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I think I might have slightly unnerved a coworker whose son just got out of rehab. I told her that there isn't a day that goes by that I still don't have thoughts or remembrances about drinking. The overpowering urges thankfully are long gone, but the AV never totally goes away and having spent most of my life working on being a drunk, almost all of my life's memories involve alcohol in one way or another. I was just trying to prepare her for the fact that alcoholism is not a thirty days and you're cured type of illness. Hopefully, I helped her to lay the mental groundwork that sobriety is a lifelong endeavor, happening one day at a time.

Expecting hurricane remnants over the next two days. We could use the rain, but not a deluge. I wish the folks in the western US could benefit from the vast rainfall this storm is producing.

Have a good day all!
Stargazer, we sure would love some of that rain here in the west . . . our fires continue to burn.

Also I appreciate what you said about the AV. I usually don't get cravings but my Dad wanted a glass of red wine last night and it did smell good . . . I was very conscious of it and deliberately choosing not to pick up . . . sigh.

Today, I'm hoping to get a bit more time with another nephew, do some yoga and clean up a bit . . . onward all.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I met a girl/young woman in AA years ago who had a permanent red wine stain around her mouth. Really. Now I didn't really like red wine, but that stopped me from ever even entertaining the idea of drinking it again.

You are wonderful BeKind.....always.
Your dad has a great daughter. xx
Old 10-11-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

Andy, I’m sure your daughter will love the Uni and Lincoln. I hope the pandemic doesn’t cause too much disruption in her life just now.

Bekind, I hope the fires soon subside. Be safe.

I’ve got an hospital appointment with the respiratory consultant today, but it’s on the phone for and update on how the injections are helping me, I think.

Have a Mindful Monday my friends. xxxx
Old 10-11-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:48 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy good morning from this side of the pond.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 10-12-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Bekind, when I was married I found it impossible to quit drinking because my ex drank and smoked (both kinds). It was still hard as a single but I finally managed it. I am in awe of those of you who stop drinking while having someone at home who still does drink.

Suze, I assume you know that those are called “port wine stains” and are present at birth. They are actually hemangiomas - I had one on my back (treated with radium back in 1945 in Europe) and a tiny one on my ankle. It’s tough for those who have a facial hemangioma!

Mags, how go the injections?

Andy, I hope DD enjoys uni but it will no doubt be an adjustment for you.

Have a marvelous Monday, Overs!
Old 10-12-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, injections going well thank you for asking. I thought I had a phone appointment today but got days mixed up, it’s tomorrow How are your infusions going? Good I hope. xx
Old 10-12-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Sass love ~ I know about those birth marks. This was really from red wine. Honestly.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon,

Yesterday's strong winds blew leaves around. As colors are peaking here, it really was spectacular.

I got to drive with the older nephew to work towards him getting his license. He was looking for cheese cloth for a halloween costume. So a lovely time. Getting out does help although I worry a bit about leaving my father alone although only for a few hours.

The air is finally clear here. I can see Longs peak. I will run some Halloween costume fabric over to my nephew today so that gives me something to do out of the house.

Okay off to look at some retirement paperwork, start a bag to go to the charity shop (thrift store for us in the US) and text my nephew.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Does your dad have a personal alarm.....I am not sure what they are called here. The ones that you can wear around your neck and push a button to get help. These services are so good....they helped me when I was looking after my parents. s xx
Old 10-12-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Does your dad have a personal alarm.....I am not sure what they are called here. The ones that you can wear around your neck and push a button to get help. These services are so good....they helped me when I was looking after my parents. s xx
Yes he does have a personal alarm. The alarm will ring the front desk at his facility. I don't have him wear it all the time as he often pushes it by accident . . . . . I'm not sure he would know to push it but it is something so I put it on him when I leave.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:27 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Have a good Tuesday my friends. Be safe xxxx
Old 10-12-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Mags, infusions going well, thanks. Next week is another. I am now apparently in full remission already! It’s so nice to be able to work up to longer walks again and not have to be on the alert every minute :-)

Bekind, as many of us go through the phase of looking out for and taking care of our parents, I think it’s one of those things that marks a big change in our growth. For some it’s relatively easy, for others it’s very, very difficult. It certainly changed my thinking and outlook a great deal. I was with my mother when she very peacefully took her last breath and am glad I was there with her at that time.

Have a great day, Overs!

Old 10-13-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, Wow! That’s really good news about being in remission. x
Old 10-13-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hello Overs! Lurking as always and grateful to the support every in this family gives. Still on the weight loss train, 7 more to go for my goal of 130 making a even 80 pounds gone. Beginning a new chapter in my life, well in 3 years anyway, retirement. Husband and I are buying a motor coach and going full time it. Finally starting to feel optimistic about my future. Sober for 3 years now, still think about drinking every now and then. I tend to mostly go over all the hoops I would go through to keep my "secret", wow so much energy put into hiding my stash, not using the same dumpster to dump the empties, freaking out if I lost count of where I hid my wine or empties, turning the house upside down. finally leaving sticky notes to myself as to what was where,,,,goodness. Never doing that again.

which leads me to this, the past 3 years I have been fairly isolated, do not go out much, do not have visitors. Now things are changing and I am about to go out into the "big bad world" of the normies, I am scared of this, there, I said it. Nervous, Out of my comfort zone. Not sure why, I am verbal about letting people know that I do not drink anymore not shy. Not sure what I am trying to say here, just drawing strength I guess.

Love ya all much!
Lori