Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 9

Old 09-21-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2020 PART 9

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-8-a-20.html (Class of January 2020 PART 8)

D
Old 09-21-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

13 weeks, nice Willow!

If you all have never done the DISK test, I highly recommend it. I found it very helpful in understanding my personality type, and that of others, and how I tend to work and interact with others. I rate high towards being a task-oriented person who is also a good listener and resistant to change. I don't have to be in control but can't stand it if things are not moving forward in a productive and smooth manner, and can't tolerate incompetence, which may be why I would rather just work alone. Couldn't find the website I did last time that gives a full report, but this one gives a partial report quickly and free. https://www.onlinepersonalitytests.org/disc/

Dad drank a little but nothing big time. Maybe a scotch after work. Other than that, my drinking career started and progressed, and then ended, similar to how Willow described. I'll add though, that there was no longer any question of it being a dependency by my late 20s when I was suddenly married, had house payments, was trying to make my mark on the industry but was stuck in a sucky job with a boss that I didn't like. Then it was my go-to coping mechanism until January 2020.

I hope that my kid can learn from having watched me, then and now, and avoid developing a dependency on drinking.

BM, I noticed in high school that the kids I knew who were from a difficult home situation were much more likely to use drugs and alcohol. Your discussion reminded me of a show we were watching recently called Homestead Rescue. There was a financially destitute family in the Appalachians with a daughter who was talking about going to college. The dad had a severe medical issue and was expected to have very limited mobility in coming years, and they had animals and a vegetable garden that they depended on but would no way to take care of everything if the girl left. I remembered a documentary from years ago about a very similar family in the Appalachians in which the son or daughter was going to go to college but it didn't happen because in the end, the difficulties and the long standing traditions of the family just did not provide enough of a support system for it, and the child was sucked back into a life of remaining close to the family to help out. These things are not absolute and there are always exceptions, and I hope that the girl did go to school or somehow otherwise was able to pursue her dreams. Learned behavior becoming hardwired into the subconscious by the age of 8? - Very possible. It may very well be that by the age of 8, it was already determined in that girl's subconscious that she was never going to go to college under hardly any circumstances. Who knows?
Old 09-22-2020, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when we are doing our best to be the best versions of ourselves, we feel confident that we can cope with anything life brings. venus

This right here! I think all we really want is to be able to "cope" with life.
alcohol was one attempt. That did not work.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

I am D ,dominate, SURPRISE! LOL
I believe my daughter watching us make fools of ourselves is exactly why she does not.

willow 13 weeks is great! Racking them up quick!
Old 09-22-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi all

Great picture Abraxas. It is nice to see your home view. When i am out next, I will grab a pic and share mine.
13 weeks is awesome. Well done !!
Thant homestead rescue show sounds sad, City. I always feel for people trapped in their situations. This year especially. Maybe I am catching up with emotions, or waking up.
I am not usually a total control freak but I will take that test and let you know.
Great to hear you are still on your journey. Willow.
That is a great quote, Venus.

OK. Digging into my to-do's

have a healthy, happy and sober day all
dlb.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the link Cityboy
The DISK test said I was an S. Stable, lol. I’m not so sure about that, but I struggled to answer the questions because I didn’t always really know which answers I related better to. Maybe I don’t really know myself very well..... hmmmm.
I did the Myers Briggs test years ago and got a different type of score, it wasn’t the S. I remember being INFP, so I’m going to try it again and see how that feels.
I remember from Myers Briggs feeling that it fit. I’m a slightly introverted person who is kinda airy and into feelings and ideas and a bit off with the pixies sometimes lol.
I can’t really remember much else, so I’ll see how it pans out this time.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Um, I did the test (which I thought was not at all a good psych test by the way) and clicked for results and NOTHING...so I think we all have the answer with regards to moi.

Control Freak 101.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its been around since the 1920s.
Fun fact - the author of the test also created the character of Wonder Woman

D
Old 09-22-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A discussion of that test seemed to fit with BM's discussion. On that website, it seemed to be a very abbreviated version of the test, and results. I wonder if many of the questions are difficult to nail down intentionally though, in order to keep you off balance. I consistently test as a C and S almost equally with a mix of D in work/professional scenarios, kind of a mixed bag. To me it seems to depend greatly on the circumstances as to the type of personality that is more likely to come out. For example, I'm only likely to be talkative in a very narrow range of situations.

I spent a little time looking for online information one day as to how it influences the likelihood of developing a dependency on drugs or alcohol. For example, it says that a C tends to focus on the past, and how many times have we discussed our tendency, as alcoholics, to focus on memories, 'chase the rabbit' or 'fall into the hole'. Or it may be that certain personality types are more likely to recover from alcohol addiction than others. Didn't have any luck finding any information like that.

DLB, that Homestead Rescue show is actually about a family of home improvement types that go around rescuing people who are mostly living off the grid, who's homemade log cabin is about to fall down the side of a hill or something due to being poorly constructed.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I did the Myers Briggs test (I found the questions much easier to answer than the DISK test by the way) and I came out exactly the same as when I did it about 15 years ago: INFP, which I do actually think is a fair estimation of my personality type.
The summary was: INFP (introversion, intuition, feeling, perception) is a four-letter abbreviation for one of the 16 personality types identified by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.The INFP personality type is often described as an “idealist” personality. People with this kind of personality tend to be introverted, idealistic, creative and driven by high values.
I found it pretty interesting anyway.
thanks for sharing the links Cityboy

Old 09-23-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all

I will do the Myers Briggs test later today. I am sure I can find it on-line. I have a lot of catch-up work on my plate today, that needs to be done first, some of which is fun. A personalty test sounds like a great idea.
I felt like I slept but am still groggy. Let's see if coffee helps.

have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb
Old 09-23-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Going to NC to visit daughter and family for a few days.
Then back home Friday and back to work.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm consistently seeing that if I don't set my alarm, I wake up earlier. @ annoying. I would never have woken up at 4 am ready to go while drinking.

NC should be nice. Hope you have a good trip FK.

Heard a good report on large crappie biting, but won't be fishing for the next few days.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all

A quick check in from me. It was a busy day yesterday and hopefully a nice one today. I am so out of the habit with jogging, if I do that one thing today, I will be happy.
I have never been to NC. I always associate it with Micheal Jordan and peaches, or is that South ? I am not sure if they have fall colors there. Us North/East folks get a bit spoiled this time of year.

Have a happy, healthy and sober Wednesday all

dlb

Old 09-24-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Morning Class!

Sitting here with the Grandbabies. Gonna hate to leave.
Everything is still green here. They get some fall colors a little later than the north but there are a lot of evergreens so nowhere near as spectacular as up north.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OK. That would be, Have a happy Thursday. - Days of the week still blend in while working from home.

Glad you are having a nice time FK.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been sooooo busy this week!
Thank God it’s Friday!
Old 09-25-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Willow, well being busy means job security so that's good.

I'm working out of town through the weekend. Traveled yesterday. Had a passing thought once of how it would have been before, wanting to get to hotel so I could start drinking. Stopped to get a salad before checking in to hotel and the belt went out in my work truck, so will be dealing with that first thing this morning.

North Carolina is great. We go to the Highland- Cherokee-Silva area sometimes. Brother lives in Raleigh. Have been to the Great Dismal Swamp.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The Great Dismal Swamp?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, I am glad it is Friday also.Not too much to report, just checking in.
Aiming to be constructive today.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Friday all.

dlb
ps. Venus, I agree . "great dismal swamp" is not a name that sounds "great". Maybe it was called that way to keep invaders away.
Legend has it, that is why Iceland ( which is very green) was called Iceland and Greenland ( which is very icy) were named that way. To deter viking invaders. - Maybe the "Great Dismal Swamp" is secretly like Fiji or Bora Bora.
Not sure how many vikings made it to NC though.