Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 9

Old 10-05-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I've really debated whether or not to share about Saturday. Our theme has been that of an open book, and it has helped me tremendously to sort things out by discussing them here. Just know that I am not trying to humble brag or get some kind of pat on the back here.

By coincidence, Saturday was a fishing event that is normally held twice a year at the same place my buddies and I go fishing. The event is organized by a guy locally and this is the third year I have volunteered as a captain (a term I use for myself loosely) and boat. I don't think the screening process is very strict, but it is designed to take wartime veterans who suffer from PTSD on a day of fishing at no cost to them. The organizer is a veteran who suffers from PTSD himself, and is obviously pure of heart to anyone who cares to talk to him. The event has caught on and has become one of the largest of its kind. They said that this time there were over 200 veterans and around 70 boats.

I do it, obviously to give back and provide support for the veterans, but also for myself. To gain a sense of self worth.

It has been a learning experience. Some of the guys want to talk about their military experience at some level, some don't, or can't. I've learned not to ask probing questions, even though I am always dying to hear their stories, but to let them initiate the discussion if they want. If they don't want to talk about it, that's fine. The whole point is to just try to show them a good time fishing.

There is no alcohol allowed, which is fine with me now, because a large percentage of the guys are recovering alcoholics.

It is funny how the older guys, without fail, will try to impress me with their fishing skills, while it is me who is trying to impress them by showing support.

It has been, and continues to be a blessing to see the support that the community displays through donations and volunteers.

My group seemed to have a really good time despite the chilly wind, and wanted to exchange phone numbers back at the dock.

I talked to the organizer Sunday morning as we were all getting ready to go home. He told me that one of the guys (not one of mine from the description) had come up to him Saturday afternoon, hugged him, and said that they had saved his life. He had been seriously contemplating suicide but had been looking forward to the fishing trip. He said that has happened multiple times now. I really can't describe how that made me feel to know that I was a part, even a very small part, of something that was having that kind of effect on people. It was shocking and sobering, and was many times better that any buzz from drinking.

It is truly wonderful to be free of alcohol addiction.

Hope everyone has a great day and week!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Captain is the person in charge of the vessel
You Are the Captain

Thanks for sharing the back story. I thought it was just a reason to get together and drink and fish solely.

Great cause!

Feels awesome doing good. Feels more awesome doing it sober, 100% there and available.

We help ourselves when helping others. Fact
Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

That’s really beautiful Cityboy, thank you for sharing ❤️
Old 10-05-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oh, and yes I think they’re eucalypts. There are lots of different kinds of eucalypt trees in Aus and I don’t know what they all are. Maybe I’ll get a book to take out next time I go camping and see how many I can identify. That would be fun I have books on birds of Australia, and wildlife, and butterflies, and seashells, but not one on trees...
Old 10-06-2020, 03:27 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Love all the Australia pictures. As I understand it, there have been attempts at growing eucalyptus commercially in my part of Florida, but it kept getting frost damage.

An early appointment today to get a filling and don't want to eat a big breakfast, so hopefully will be able to feel my face by lunch time. We have a great dentist so it won't be too bad.

Hope everyone has or had a great day.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning all

That is a really great story, City. You might not have had the same conversation if you were hungover or wasted. I find that opportunities or insights happen now from unexpected places. Learning that about the other participants, who happen to be hero's that served their country, is amazing. It is so good you went and was sober to experience that.

FK, I am with Willow here, you are doing amazingly, and growing with understanding of yourself. The metaphor about peeling back layers of the onion seems to apply to many of us here. Tears included !

Talking of tears, I have been struggling with uploading pics from my afternoon jog yesterday to this post. They are small jpegs so *should* be postable. hmmm. I have been the only one in the class to have not posted pictures of their environment so wanted to correct that. It was a particularly nice fall day in my little part of Canada yesterday. I will give a bit more time and, if not, try again tomorrow.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Tuesday all

dlb

Old 10-06-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

added a pic (finally)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jog_pic_lo2_v01.jpg (88.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

One more pic of fall colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jog_pic_lo2_v01.jpg (75.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Fall colors, what is that? Kidding. Other than a handful of maple and sweet gum trees, our fall colors are green and brown. Nice pictures.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Fall colors aren't here yet but fall fishing is.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Lovely pics dlb! It looks really pretty there.

Nice Fish

Cityboy I hope the dentist trip goes ok.

I’m about to do some yoga. I’ve been struggling with racing thoughts and anxiety, so I need to take some measures to get my wayward brain under better control. In the past anxiety has been a trigger for drinking (stupid really because I know alcohol adds to my anxiety, but that’s AFTER I’ve been drinking so I need to keep playing the tape forward to the consequences of drinking). And I need to work on reducing anxiety.
My exercise has been lax lately and my sugar intake too high, so yesterday I started a new routine, half hour yoga and half hour walk. Every day! So far I’ve done it once
Today I’m about to start.

Day 106 sober.
Day 2 of daily exercise.....
Old 10-06-2020, 04:55 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Go Willow! ❤️
Old 10-06-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Nice striper at sunrise picture FK. Did you make that cutting board also? Mine is a short piece of 1×8.

Congrats on day 106 Willow. Good luck with the excercise routine. It's a struggle for me to stick with a routine but sure does help me feel better.

The filling went fine, thanks. The dentist helped me fix something on my phone also.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Cutting board is an Amazon special.

I keep saying I'm gonna try yoga one day. I get so stiff I think the stretching has got to help.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Lol the dentist fixed something on your phone Cityboy

Fish I find yoga really helpful. I feel heaps better physically and mentally when I do it regularly, but I tend to wax and wane with it. There are so many online classes you can do these days, but mostly I just do my own now. Cheaper that way, and I’ve been doing it long enough that I know what I need to do. It’s just motivating myself! But I just did half an hour again today. Ideally I would do an hour but I know if I set myself that goal I won’t do any because it’s more of a time commitment. Half an hour is more manageable, and anything extra is a bonus

Now for the half hour walk.... but it’s too hot outside at the moment (11am) so I’ll wait till it cools off, maybe about 5pm. I have the day off work today
Old 10-07-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

One complication about taking up yoga is that I can't imagine a set of possible circumstances in which I would wear yoga pants. My SIL got me yoga pants for Christmas a couple of years ago. That was about when my weight peaked and I think that it was just a calculated attempt at telling me something. Still down a good 25 from that point. Loss has slowed to a crawl but at least there is not the yoyo effect that there was before.

Was looking forward to work slowing down but it has picked up temporarily. Good and bad. November is when I really like to take some time off.

Our dentist is a very nice lady who is also very competent at her work. Going to the dentist is like visiting a friend.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Lol
If you have to wear yoga pants to do yoga then I'm out!

We have had the same dentist since I was a pre teen. Great guy. What a fiasco it is goin there right now though. Felt like a circus monkey jumping through hoops.

Work today, no play.

I finally broke down and signed up for a Canvas training course. I had been goin back and forth on which one to attend and decided to stay kinda local so I can stay at my parents for the week and not have to drive 8 to 10 hours and get a motel for the week.
I just bid my largest job on a very nice boat and want to make sure my work is up to par since I am pretty much self taught at this point.

Have a great day all!
Old 10-07-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all

Great looking striper FK. What a lovely morning (I am guessing from the mist).
I also need to do some yoga. I have been slightly more consistent jogging but my flexibility is terrible. I catch myself groaning every time I get out of bed or off the couch, from stiff legs.
Congrats willow on getting back into your Yoga. I think you are motivating many of us.

OK. back to work after one more coffee.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Wednesday all

dlb

Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning or evening all.

A canvas workshop, like the professional conferences I normally go to each year, would have been just an excuse to spend a couple of nights somewhere and remain just coherent enough to attend the classes. There would have certainly been a bunch of beer in the little hotel refrigerator back in the room for immediately following the last class. But those days are over. Hope the canvas work continues to go well FK.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi team!

How are you all?

I am well. I don't have too much to report, I suppose. I'm occupied with clearing my mental desk, so to speak, and organising my life and home as we go into the colder months.

I will not write much right now, as I haven't read up on posts but will try to check in later.

I just want to wish you all a lovely day and many blessings, love, joy and peace.

🤗🍁💗😊

B.