Notices

Class of September 2020 Part 2

Old 10-11-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Sharkez

Hi all,

Been pretty busy this week and have had some work on. Even though I have had practically no cravings since I stopped, Friday was a different story. My inner demon planted the seed and incessantly chipped away at my resolve throughout the day. Usually I can shake the feeling but by the end of the day I had practically given in and had little to no memory of all the torment drinking brings me.
It was only as I was showering and plotting my evening drinks menu that I started to realise that it wasn't a foregone conclusion and that I didn't have to drink. I quickly messaged a friend who immediately called me and set me straight.
Instead I order a family sized pizza for one and knocked myself out with carbs before waking up very relieved on Saturday.

Still, a very close call though and a reminder that I am far from being out of the woods.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you have some good tools in place dear Sharkez ~ calling your friend, recognising that you did not have to listen to your head, and I am totally jealous of the pizza....I can't eat the pizza here. It has garlic 99% of the time and I am allergic. s xx
Old 10-11-2020, 09:53 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sharkez View Post
Hi all,

Been pretty busy this week and have had some work on. Even though I have had practically no cravings since I stopped, Friday was a different story. My inner demon planted the seed and incessantly chipped away at my resolve throughout the day. Usually I can shake the feeling but by the end of the day I had practically given in and had little to no memory of all the torment drinking brings me.
It was only as I was showering and plotting my evening drinks menu that I started to realise that it wasn't a foregone conclusion and that I didn't have to drink. I quickly messaged a friend who immediately called me and set me straight.
Instead I order a family sized pizza for one and knocked myself out with carbs before waking up very relieved on Saturday.

Still, a very close call though and a reminder that I am far from being out of the woods.
Oof yes I hear you. I had a family size pizza last night too! That little devil on the shoulder has a loud voice, but you're right - drinking is not a foregone conclusion. Thanks for posting that!
Old 10-11-2020, 09:54 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Sounds to me like you have some good tools in place dear Sharkez ~ calling your friend, recognising that you did not have to listen to your head, and I am totally jealous of the pizza....I can't eat the pizza here. It has garlic 99% of the time and I am allergic. s xx
Hmmm...venuscat seems to only come out at night and she is "allergic" to garlic. I am sensing a pattern here...
Old 10-12-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

he he he.....

Off to drink some blood. Err, I mean coffee.

s xx
Old 10-12-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Erica375

Patcha!
Old 10-12-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hello all,
Sigh. Things remain uncomfortably the same. I think I have been trying to see as many friends as possible (in small groups and within reason) before it gets chilly here. Because I think I’m going to get much much stricter about my social distancing through the winter.
And it’s been exhausting me. Seeing people.
I start a new job tomorrow. Since the pandemic, I haven’t been able to work in the service industry. And that’s one change I’m really happy about. My new job as a tree maintenance woman should be pretty peaceful and I should have some time to just think. I won’t be in a restaurant filled with wine and I won’t be serving people. Just trees.
I am nervous but I’m going to tuck myself into bed early and get some good rest.
My cat comes to visit me tomorrow. He’ll be here for 2 weeks. I’m so excited to see him. When my ex and I split I decided I didn’t want full custody. I just wanted to take care of myself. He and the cat have a special connection so I didn’t want to tear them apart. But I do get lonely.
I hope everyone is getting a good start to their week.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes with the new job Plenny

do you think that will help you make the changes you need to make?

D
Old 10-12-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Good luck with the new job plenny! I couldn't work around booze. I don't know how recovering alcoholics working in that industry continue to do it. Have fun with your kitty! I have two cats (one is a 4 month old kitten) and I love them so much.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
best wishes with the new job Plenny

do you think that will help you make the changes you need to make?

D
Thanks Dee, are you asking about the job? I think that I’ve been out of the work force for so long that I’ve just become a different person entirely. I think that I would have stayed in the service industry forever if the world hadn’t changed. I think having a job like this in which I feel needed and important is going to help a lot.
It is a non profit environmental organization committed to reforesting our area. I live in an area prone to natural disasters. We plant native trees and we water them and care for them during their first year of life. Then they’re established and we are continually planting more. I volunteered with them for a while, and I was feeling so good that I kept bugging them to let me have more responsibility and get paid a little bit. And it is a very little bit. But it’s something I hope will get me through this winter. Physical activity, sunshine, very little human contact. I’m really hoping that this will keep me safe and happy.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:31 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I think it will be beyond awesome. All the best dear Plenny. s
Old 10-13-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Erica375

Plenny, that sounds like the perfect job! Congratulations!

I did nothing yesterday, and I'm proud of it. It was one of those days I didn't feel safe from my AV, so I decided not to go out. So of course the AV starts telling me how lazy and entitled I am, and shouldn't I go to the gym, and hey, isn't there a liquor store right near there?

Nope. I realized I was NOT "doing nothing." I was protecting my sobriety. And it worked.

Yay, me!!!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Absolutely yay you dear Erica !! s xx
Old 10-13-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

30 days of continuous sobriety for me today. I posted it in the newcomers forum. I'm not doing that great physically. I expect with time I will improve. Really tired right now. Sleep has seemed closer to normal the last few nights but I wanted to get up for my morning AA Zoom meeting. Feels like I am going to fall be to sleep.

Just grateful to be sober and know there may be hope for me after all. Not sure about that but it's possible.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

(((Larry))) ❤️

Congratulations on 30 days!

I so remember feeling really ordinary at a month sober....it took a bit longer. Two-three months. And then I felt wonderful.
So many years of drinking and smoking grass, and I was just a mess. I was also really worried I wasn't ever going to be OK.
I bet a lot of people feel this way.

Are you getting any medical checks? It can be very reassuring.
The other thing that helped me was talking to addiction counsellors over the phone....they taught about homeostasis.
That my body was working hard to right itself and that was part of why I was just so tired. I like that a lot.
It changed things up for me....instead of being afraid, I embraced the weariness so to speak, and just treated myself with kid gloves.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Just a quick check in from me to say I am still alive and chugging along, just passed my 7th week sober. I'm back home from my trip away, straight back into chaos at work but at least it keeps my mind busy during the day.

Sharkez - massive well done for getting through that craving, that sounded really tough. Hats off to you
Plenny - Best of luck with the new job, hope your first day was okay. I love the idea of working with trees and nature, they can't answer back, unless you bump into Groot
Larry - Congrats on 1 month!
Old 10-13-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 30 Larry

D
Old 10-13-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

Ditto what BringingtBackB said to Sharkez. I'm pretty sure I would have drank. Hats off to Sharkez!!
Old 10-14-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Morning soberinos! I slept so well last night but I'm still tired! At some point I need to quit sugar but that day is not today. I am inhaling ice cream bars and lolly snakes like it's my job but at least I don't wake up with a pounding hangover and I can still drive. What's everyone doing today?
Old 10-14-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Waiting for my omelette to cook and craving lolly snakes. s xx