Notices

One Year And Under Club Part 66

Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Willow68;7535959]Lol Charon, there are really people here, despite all the toxic creatures and bitey ones
we just try to keep out of their way /QUOTE]

LOL. The nature specials make it sound like that's not possible. Wonder why they try to be so scary instead of informative and accurate. Same happens with shark week.

Ruthie's training is progressing and we are both enjoying it. She's got "sit" well enough to move on to "sit - stay". She's gotten confident enough to lead me around where she wants to explore in our back woods. She loves to get up on fallen tree trunks and run up to the highest spot to get a view. And I just love cuddling her.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Undies and supporters

Quick check in before I start my third day in the new job. I am working from home for the first time today, so it should be a good day to sort out all my handover notes, do some catch up reading on what is happening and have a bit of correspondence to tackle. Also have my first online meeting as the conservation representative today - that should be interesting - I think I'll be more of a listener than a contributor to avoid foot in mouth. I am enjoying it so far and it is certainly giving me a good chance to learn lots and chat with people.

And Charon - despite having a few critters that might cause us some harm, they rarely do. Far more chance of being injured or killed by a car, a horse or Covid! Australia has fewer dangerous critters than many other countries.

Take care all....
Old 11-03-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Charon, there is no fun in making a documentary of a crocodile just floating in the water, and no one would watch it. While we all root for the prey to escape, it is absorbing watching a predator at work. And I guess they all have to eat to survive too! I'm glad the training is going well.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:50 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Good morning fellow undies

Sounds like everyone is doing well!
Glad to hear.

All is well in fishland as well
Well except for the potty training part. It is still very early as they are only 9 weeks old so I have hope. Tux actually went out the doggie door on his own yesterday and pooped. That is good and bad as he is still small enough to squeeze out the gate to the back yard so gotta watch him close.

Australia has always scared the hell out of me too! Lol
I know the drama sells but the fact that there is a spider the size of a small dog is a big no for me!😃

Have a great day
Old 11-04-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Lol it’s funny that Australian animals scare people from other parts of the world. Personally, I have always been quite comfortable with Aussie wildlife, including venomous spiders and snakes, but much more afraid of the thought of bears, cougars, panthers and all of the other big cats lol.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

I guess we accept and deal with what we know and fear what we don't. I'm not a big fan of spiders full stop, so whether the beastie could kill me or is entirely harmless, it's life span is considerably shortened if it wanders into my vicinity! I'm not a fan of capture and release, in case it's a 'homing spider' and comes right back! I saw a family of wild boar up close in Spain, ( I was passing in the car, so totally safe) and was super excited to see them so near to where I live!
Old 11-06-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Undies

It is very quiet on this thread again. I'm assuming there is some hibernation starting to take place .

I've now finished my first week in my new job. It's been a tiring week in trying to absorb a lot of information - three of the days have been spent with the previous coordinator for a handover and the rest of the time has been in meetings, organising meetings and learning the basic administration and IT systems. The highlight was an online meeting run by local government with about 20 people from the environment sector in attendance from all sorts of university, government and not-for-profit organisations in attendance. It was so nice seeing familiar faces from a long time ago, and for those people to be so welcoming and genuinely pleased (at least I am hoping I read that correctly) to have me at the table. I got a warm and fuzzy feeling of belonging. The converse was that some of the people there have excelled to great career heights and now are directors and managers with big pay checks, and I have moved in the opposite direction of stepping down to a much lower level and pay. It's going to be interesting to work out how I can best operate in this scenario. I'm not at all envious, but I also feel a bit like a failure, or think that they might see it that way.

Anyway, I feel better putting my thoughts in writing. I really need to stop worrying about absolutely everything and mostly what people think about me.

Have a great weekend everyone and take care of yourselves. Keep away from the big cats, bears and boars!
Old 11-06-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your first job week Coz
Old 11-07-2020, 12:25 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Well done on the first week Coz. Perhaps they are envious of you having a better work/life balance! I wasted too many years wondering how others see me, now I just accept myself for who I am and hope others do the same. I cannot change how others perceive me so I don't try. What matters is the wealth of experience you are bringing to your roll and I know you will be respected for that.

I hope everyone else is doing okay? Busy puppy rearing FK and Charon? Willow, hows things with you?
Old 11-07-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Well, the leaves are almost taken care of. Tomorrow should do it. I decided I deserve the rest of the day off. So a long, hot shower, lunch and a nap.

Tractor is giving me fits. Turned the key yesterday and nothing. Jumped the solinoid terminals and it started. Put in a new switch. No joy. Decided it must be the solinoid. Put a new one in this morning. No joy. Decided it might be the sensor that keeps the engine from starting if the clutch isn't depressed. Have no Iidea where that might be located. Now I need to decide if I will keep starting it by jumping the solinoid, keep trying to track down the problem, or just get a new tractor. Ruthie is supervising, but she doesn't know what the problem is either.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

I really don't want to get another tractor. I know this one in and out and have all the attachments I need. I decided that rather than trying to track down a sensor or electrical problem, the easiest fix is a 12 volt high amp switch across the solinoid terminals. Once I get the leaf cleanup done I'll call some auto parts stores and see if I can locate one. I'm pretty tired, but I have today and tomorrow of late summer weather so I'll push (sans alcohol) to get as much done as I can - without over doing.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Yes, please don't overdo it Charon, we need you safe and well.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Coz

Not much to report, but a quick post to say hi. Hope everyone had a lovely weekend and enjoying sober life. I spent most of the weekend working on my 'disguise the septic tank' project. I'll post some photos when I get it finished- it's a bit slower progress now I'm working again.

Toots - hope your ankle is better and the weather hasn't turned too miserable yet.

FK and Charon - hope the inside poos and pees are over, or at least close to being over.

Willow - hope you found some time to relax over your busy weekend.

Hi to everyone. Take care.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I ended up having to work on Sunday Coz, but never mind. It helps pay the bills and I’m going to make sure I don’t work next weekend!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:33 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

I always used to think 'at least if I'm working I'm not spending! But yeah, important to get a good work/life balance. Mr T has finally contended onto that too!

All ok in Tootsville too, but very Misty and murky the last few days. We did get out for golf yesterday but it was so wet we only played 9. My foot is much better Coz, sore when I bend it certain ways and I still strap it for exercise, but definitely on the mend.

Anyone hear anything from Kaptn or Captain Haddock? Hope all is good with them

Have a good week everyone.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Coz - well, not quite over - but I'm getting there. I pretty much know when she should go out to poo. Her peeing is so random that getting her out frequently is the best I can manage. Ony occasional accidents. I have the names of a local trainer and an on lin trainer. I'm going to contact them and see if they can give me some additional approaches.

Tractor is fixed. Did a bang up job. New starter switch across the solinoid terminals, wired in with heavy, solid strand wire, and even drilled a hole in the side panel to mount the switch. Starts perfectly Leaves are done for the season. Still some mowing I want to do in the back field and to get a clear path along the edge of the woods. Ruthie has been picking up the occasional tick and I want to have a clear area to take our daily walks. Once she gets a hair cut, I should be able to comb any of them out each time we come in. Right now her hair is way too long for that.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Toots I haven’t heard from Kaptn or Captain Haddock in class threads either, hope they’re ok.

It sounds like you’re doing a really good job with Ruthie Charon. She’ll get there with time.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:07 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Charon she might be picking up deer ticks in the woods. Miss Molly kept coming home with one or two when we went in our local forest. I have a tick remover which is very good as it doesn't leave the heads in. nasty little parasites, but I guess everything has a right to exist! ( until it crosses my path mwahahahaha!)

willow, sometimes folk drop away because they're doing okay and real life takes priority. Other times, as I think we all here know, we can slip and take a while to get our recovery feet back under us. Let's hope for both it's the former.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Toots - Mrs found a remover called a Tick Tornado. Works like a charm. Slip over the tick at skin level, twis and pull. Everything comes out including the head. I even had to use it on myself. Yep. About half the property is woods and there are tons of leaves for them to hide in too. I put tick tubes out in April, but it looks like I'll need to start putting them out in August too.

Here she is relaxing ad then chewing a nalgine bone (she really gets into that).

Old 11-11-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

This little gem just opened. It's in a 2.5 inch pot and the flowers are 1.75 inches across. Last time it bloomed, the flowers lasted forever.