Class of May 2020 Part 5

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dig12 View Post
WL / Sudbury!!!
Awesome, Dig! Dose it still look like the 'moon"? Haha
Old 06-18-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hiya, had a poor day and started to feel depressed and just gone down and down since lunchtime. So weird how it happened. Scottish government moved us into the next phase of lockdown yet they did not go as far as I expected and I feel really disappointed. i know it sounds strange as we have no control over it but I feel really rubbish now. Even had thoughts of drinking as not working tomorrow so could just blot it all out and drink wine tonight. I won't though, I've come here instead. Sorry don't mean to be full of self pity

Hope everyone else doing ok
Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hey RAL, I'm glad you shared that with us. We all get down and depressed at times. Especially now. It sounds like you really need to have some fun. What can you do within the guidelines?
I hope your mood picks up and you feel less depressed. You are smart to come here instead of drinking. Drinking would make it all so much worse.
Sending a big hug and I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

RAL I didn't know you were Scottish. My dad was born there. He came to Canada as a kid.

Hey folks, haven't been around around due to work. Thinking ahead to the weekend and trying to make plans.

Also RAL everything is closed here too so I hear ya! I even got tired of bikeriding.

However I am supes excited that baseball might be back and NBA soon too. I may even try to watch hockey again tho it bores me.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Sober369, thanks! This weekend I'm going to start tackling other areas of the house....it needs a lot of attention and unfortunately,I've not been that great at dealing with it. For example, today we were left out of work early...so I went to a shop and a pharmacy then came home, had lunch and had 2 naps!!!! I know I probably should push to do more and get rid of clutter bit I'm hoping to get stuff ready to give to a charity shop this weekend. My relatives do mean well, they give.me lots of stuff but it's stuff I don't actually use! So I really need to declutter this stuff!

​​​​​​
Old 06-18-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

RAL it's good you posted here instead. Would even taking a walk just help, just get out of the house, get some fresh air? Or even reading a book or a dvd...just something to relax to...

Hope you feel better soon x
Old 06-18-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Thanks Karen and Maria,

Feeling a bit better now thanks. started a new jigsaw and eaten. It is so scary how the thoughts were so intense though

We can't do very much tbh. Can't go more than 5 miles apart from work, medication or essential shopping. Most places still shut but you can now meet up with people from 2 families but can't go into anyone else's house. Jr RAL and I are meeting up with friends at the beach this weekend so that is something for us both to look forward to and hopefully get us out of this downward spiral. It's just frustrating as England has moved on much more quickly than us and places opening and people having much more freedom. Although I understand it is better to do it slowly. I was just having a down day, it's just life isn't it. Feel better already though, thanks for caring

Maria, I hope the baseball and NBA starts soon for you too
Old 06-18-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

RAL, I had a strong desire to drink on June 10th, 8 days ago. I too was feeling stir crazy and just over the restrictions. I went out for a long walk and it helped immensely and then made a good dinner. I am now on day 34 and am SO glad that I didn't have that drink. Mainly because I know that it would not have stopped that day. I probably would have continued and ended up feeling despair. Who knows when I would have attempted to stop again?

I have noticed appreciable differences in my mood since then, but I still have my moments but they come and they pass. I think this is all a part of our early recovery. The key is to replace the drinking urge with another alternate, healthy alternative. I'm so glad you're feeling better!
Og
Old 06-18-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Oglsby welcome to the group! and Hello everyone

It is interesting reading back and seeing the changes occurring with all of us as our alcohol free (sober) time is adding up. So different than the first days or week.

Add to that the tough times going on in the world.... If we can quit drinking, quit smoking, get healthier and still survive the worlds' problems right now we are one bad ass group of people!

I was glad to step on the scale this morning and see I lost some weight even with all the comfort food I have been eating. It was a nice kick to give me more motivation. I am going to get off the computer again, was off yesterday, went for a drive and I am going to do it again today. Just need to get out and do something different and a drive around has been working for me.

Stay strong everyone and enjoy!

Old 06-18-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

A drive around sounds like a great idea. I like to walk, too. But, of course we can go further driving. I'm also almost finished with "The Untethered Soul". It took me a long time because I gave up a couple of times. It's good, but kind of heavy reading. Next I am looking for a novel.
I'm with you, Didit. We are in unusually hard times, and doing some wonderful things. We are bad ass for sure!
Oglsby, I'm glad you made it through your tough time 8 days ago, too. And glad you found the May class.
Okay, back to work with me! Cleaning still, it's a never ending process. Oh, but I think you're smart to chill when you need to, Zombie. I think it's an important part of our recovery.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Coz

Where to start?

Didit - you are so right. This is a great class of amazing people making our way through our recovery journey.

I have been reading on 'newcomers to recovery' and hearing the stories of many that are so struggling to get through the first few days of sobriety. I so feel for them as I still vividly remember how tough it was both physically and mentally. Then there are so many stories of relapses a bit later on in sobriety resulting in having to start that awful early day process again. While it is heartbreaking to read about the anguish they are going through, it is also a really good reminder to me to battle on through the tough times which are no where near as tough as those first days and week. I am balancing it out with reading successful recovery stories to know that it can be done and life really does get better in the 'new normal'. Our class members are doing so well (although haven't heard from a few in the last few days - hope you are doing OK - please post!) - keep up the great effort.

How is work going Maria? Have you settled into the routine again? Any triggers popping up?

Zombie - I too am making my bed, doing the dishes after dinner and even putting the washing away. I confess that I don't enjoy housework type activities, but it is so nice living in a more organised house. And - I eat so much chocolate (and lollies) nowadays.

Mysti - can't wait to see your finished project. It sounds mammoth!

Og - really great that you overcame the 10 June urges to drink. Can I ask what happened on 10 June 2020 to challenge you?

Karen - how are you doing? Still working in the garden? And have you had the chat with your family about your work decision?

RAL - I so hope you feel a bit more upbeat soon. You do have something to look forward to on the weekend which is great, but this pandemic is certainly challenging and making it harder to stay engaged in community and activities. Just know that easing restrictions slowly is probably a good thing, and each week will offer you new opportunities to do something new.
Here's a flower for you RAL - hope it cheers you up a little (although granted that it isn't quite the same as a real one!)

Keep up the great work class mates and have a lovely sober 24 hours.

for now.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Thanks Zombie, sorry we must have posted at the same time. a walk would have been a good idea, I will do that next time, thank you. once I had eaten I was ok. It never fails to amaze me just how intense the feelings are almost as though drinking is the ONLY option in THAT moment, sure you know what I mean. I'm in bed on SR now and utterly relieved I didn't drink although I feel pretty weary.

Hope you are doing ok Zombie and have had a good day.Are you in the UK too?

Thanks Og it is such a difficult time for all of us at the moment isn't it, in so many different ways. I'm trying to take each day at a time although get pretty overwhelmed at times. I was working in a greenhouse today and the sheer heat didn't help! Great to read how you worked through your cravings and many congrats on your sober time

didit-thanks for your post, very uplifting and positive

what sort of books do you like Karen?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

thank you Coz You're such a lovely person

I totally agree with you about reading in Newcomers and on the June thread. Seeing people with days or weeks picking up and going through the anguish and pain is a stark reminder for me too not to pick up and to just keep going forward no matter how bloody awful the day we are having is. there is nothing that a drink will solve. Although I know how it feels having picked up after weeks sober again and again it is easy how quickly our minds block the pain out. To read and see others going through it on a daily basis really is a good incentive to keep going. hope that doesn't sound awful or unkind in any way.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Free.

Good stuff.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Coz

CONGRATULATIONS FALLOW

60 days and feeling very sober - great news! Enjoy your celebratory pizza!
Old 06-18-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Coz- work is ok. Monday and Tuesday were kind of hard, I had some cravings just getting into the swing of it. Better today. Yesterday I literally did nothing but follow baseball media. Baseball is a legit obsession with me lol. I think I like sports bc I like physical fitness stuff but also I am alone all the time, so it just grew into this hobby.

Anyway. Congrats Fallow.

Work tomorrow. I talk to my therapist on the phone in the am, I'm having a zoom session with my physical trainer in the pm. Looking forward to both, but I do miss my gym so much.

Take care all
Old 06-18-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi there Coz,
I think it was just pent up frustration from being quarantined for soooo long. I tend to be an introvert, but as I have had to work from home since March 6, it was just getting at me. Like you, I read a lot of newcomers' comments, and just knew that had I given in, it would not go well, and after taking some proactive steps, like walking and making a nice dinner, I was SO relieved. I only remember the date as June 10 because I wrote it down because I had not had a single craving since I stopped on May 15. I thought it was significantly enough to write it down. Thanks for asking!!! You made me revisit it, which I think I needed. Hugs!
Og

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
:c01

Og - really great that you overcame the 10 June urges to drink. Can I ask what happened on 10 June 2020 to challenge you?

for now.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
Coz- work is ok. Monday and Tuesday were kind of hard, I had some cravings just getting into the swing of it. Better today. Yesterday I literally did nothing but follow baseball media. Baseball is a legit obsession with me lol. I think I like sports bc I like physical fitness stuff but also I am alone all the time, so it just grew into this hobby.

I talk to my therapist on the phone in the am, I'm having a zoom session with my physical trainer in the pm. Looking forward to both, but I do miss my gym so much.
That's great news Maria.
You are obviously in a lot better physical shape than I!
I think that WastingLife shares your baseball obsession too.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Awwww Coz, thanks so much for the fireworks! You are so kind 🙂
I hadn't checked this thread until now it was a great surprise you made my night.

RAL I am with you on cravings and drinking thoughts. Proud you powered through!

I need to tell on myself here because my family is leaving town for a week in July and I am having serious thoughts of drinking during that time. I'm going through every idea in the book like this could be a test to see if you really need abstinence, I could just drink a controlled amount, making sure you can quit before they get back, being able to enjoy myself during a week of freedom, releasing tension and stress... You name it. I am worried about how serious and persistent these thoughts are.

Hoping they go away by posting this.

Hope everyone is having a great day and its nice to see so many of us keeping sober together!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Coz

Hey Og

Congrats again on getting through June 10. Clever to write down the date too.

My last relapse occurred on day 61 - I too am an introvert and like my own space, but working from home in a new job, not being able to go anywhere (except the grocery store) and missing my family just made me crack. It was such a powerful, all-consuming craving and a memory that I won't easily forget. I have spent a lot of time working on how to better deal with something similar next time as I never want to start all over again and I do want to live a sober life (although, like many, I do occasionally fantasise about a relaxing drink and sometimes feel sad that this is not a possibility for me ever again). Hopefully my plan will see me through.

Keep up your great attitude to making this journey work for you - together, I am hoping we can all get each other through the tough bits.