Notices

Class of June Support Thread 2020 Part 1

Old 06-19-2020, 01:03 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Good for you, FF. I sense a different tone in what you're writing, you seem calmer, more determined. I like it.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:06 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Day 5, and things are good. Last day of school here and my kids are ecstatic. I made the deadline yesterday and my 17 500 words are in. Today I'm taking a break from writing, focusing on the second coat of paint and maybe doing some gardening. It's such a lovely day, and I feel happy and content. And today I'm not going to drink.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:48 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not sure I follow you TC

D
Thanks, Dee and lixie:

About sharing the BIG thing here: Now that you mention it, yes, the anonymity here makes this a good place to share most anything.

Sometimes the thing that you carry heavily is so shameful, barely (or not) legal, has much stigma to it , etc.... perhaps airing it amid the entire community (entire internet viewership) isn’t the way to go.

[Old posts that non-members can peruse, are those vetted in some manner?]

I guess I could’ve suggested that if anyone didn’t feel they could share the BIG thing on the threads here, to then, seek a trusted, informed person to share privately with. (SR member or otherwise)

Sorry to confuse. SR is a community I trust, and have trusted with some really core parts of my being. It is a great place.

I reserve the right, however, to have a plan of where, how, and to whom I share the most tragic and embarrassing stuff with. It may not be here, but I know I must clean house emotionally (share all) or risk dying of this disease.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish everyone here a peaceful sober day!

Old 06-19-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Good for you, FF. I sense a different tone in what you're writing, you seem calmer, more determined. I like it.
​​​​​​Thanks. I feel more confident.

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Day 5, and things are good. Last day of school here and my kids are ecstatic. I made the deadline yesterday and my 17 500 words are in. Today I'm taking a break from writing, focusing on the second coat of paint and maybe doing some gardening. It's such a lovely day, and I feel happy and content. And today I'm not going to drink.
Congrats on day 5 and getting your writing done. Can't have been easy in early sobriety
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 06-19-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
​​​​​​
Congrats on day 5 and getting your writing done. Can't have been easy in early sobriety​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Nope, but I did it!

I have no idea where all this energy is coming from! I have finished the house painting, cleared everything away, moved two huge beds of strawberry plants and a ton of soil, watered the whole back yard, started writing a new manuscript with my partner, been out shopping and now I am baking bread. Whaaaat??? And today I didn't drink.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hi guys...

Kind of fell off the rails the last few months, but today is 7 days sober for me.
I'm looking forward to putting this drinking thing behind me for good, it's been a ball and chain for far too long.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Patterson
congrats on your week!

D
Old 06-19-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee! Good to see you!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
Thanks, Dee and lixie:

About sharing the BIG thing here: Now that you mention it, yes, the anonymity here makes this a good place to share most anything.

Sometimes the thing that you carry heavily is so shameful, barely (or not) legal, has much stigma to it , etc.... perhaps airing it amid the entire community (entire internet viewership) isn’t the way to go.

[Old posts that non-members can peruse, are those vetted in some manner?]

I guess I could’ve suggested that if anyone didn’t feel they could share the BIG thing on the threads here, to then, seek a trusted, informed person to share privately with. (SR member or otherwise)

Sorry to confuse. SR is a community I trust, and have trusted with some really core parts of my being. It is a great place.

I reserve the right, however, to have a plan of where, how, and to whom I share the most tragic and embarrassing stuff with. It may not be here, but I know I must clean house emotionally (share all) or risk dying of this disease.

Hope that makes sense.

I wish everyone here a peaceful sober day!
Hey TC

I didn’t so much disagree with you as not know what you meant exactly

SR is a great example of peer support which can be both good and bad.

The internet has all kind of personalities promising all kinds of authority and it’s good to remember that we need to assess that authority and truthfulness for ourselves always.

The only vetting that goes on is here we make sure that every thing follows the rules. That usually means no dangerous suggestions remain up, but sometimes some folks can stay within the rules and still give advice I personally do not agree with at all.

The good thing is that I, and everyone else here, can balance what we feel is bad advice with good advice, and I think, in the end the overall advice suggestions and sharing here is the best I‘ve seen in the web.

I’m not paid to say that - I’m not paid at all - but I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think this community wasn’t brilliant.

But yeah, I wouldn’t just take advice from just one person, or even just one site.
And some things I think will need a professional’s input.

There is also the point about this being a public forum, searchable by anyone, and once it’s posted it’s out there In the public domain forever.

Even with anonymity of user names a little common sense needs to be applied with sharing.
That’s clearly spelled out to all new members and I Anna and the other staff try and remind folks about that.

I feel safe here, but I never share anything online anywhere I’m not ok with being in the public domain.

thanks for explaining TC

D

Old 06-19-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Hey all, I'm back at it, but tomorrow is my official Day 1 since my last drink was after midnight. Feeling much better sipping on some gatorade/water and with a little soup in me. Been a really, really rough day. Don't wanna go through any of that again.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're back PL

D
Old 06-19-2020, 08:49 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 12. Some AV yesterday. Nothing major. Went to a meetingmeeting.

Had a dream where I took drugs and a friend dragged me to rehab. I wrote down on my rehab intake form that I'm more open minded to treatment than I was before which I suppose is true. I'm giving the 12 steps a shot now.

​​​
Old 06-20-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Three days of my sick self thinking that I can handle drinking a few glasses of wine with food: did not work. Vomiting, self-loathing, stink, misery, hopelessness. I'm packing up my two story house and every item must be boxed. Usually, I would have friends over or hire someone to keep me company. But, because of the quarantine, I'm doing everything in solitary confinement. Once I pick up a drink, I let every other aspect of my life go. EVERY ASPECT.

I'm trying again today but I have wine in the refrigerator.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
Three days of my sick self thinking that I can handle drinking a few glasses of wine with food: did not work. Vomiting, self-loathing, stink, misery, hopelessness. I'm packing up my two story house and every item must be boxed. Usually, I would have friends over or hire someone to keep me company. But, because of the quarantine, I'm doing everything in solitary confinement. Once I pick up a drink, I let every other aspect of my life go. EVERY ASPECT.

I'm trying again today but I have wine in the refrigerator.
​​​​​​
maybe you could dump the wine?
Old 06-20-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

I’m back too. Husband questioned me last night about my consumption, so it’s out in the open again. He said he could tell certain nights because of the way I was acting. I’m quite ashamed but he is very supportive. Also, I walked with my friend yesterday and confessed to her. It was a very cleansing day. Now on to the hard stuff. Working on changing wrong thought patterns and my routine.

Listae, let’s do this. I dumped my wine out last night; you should dump yours. Today can be our new sober life. We deserve better than what we’re doing to ourselves.

Let the healing begin...again.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Slept terribly last night but already feeling better this morning. Coming back into my day one more determined, more focused, and have a better plan in place. 12 hours since my last drink and this is going to be my last day one!
Old 06-20-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Good morning to everyone! I hit a milestone today – officially 3 weeks!

Puck – so happy to see you back, been worried about you.

FF – Congrats on day 12!

Patterson – welcome to our group 😊

Lixie – Isn’t it nice with all the extra energy? I also have much more patience and time for the little things and starting to enjoy more time in the garden and trying new recipes. I think the key is staying busy until I am tired then off to bed.

Carpenter – I haven’t shared my “big thing” outside of a couple of close family members. If I do it would be like Dee, to help someone. But I am not there yet.

PinkButterfly – if it helps I went through the same. It wasn’t fun but now it is so much better! I have a fitbit that tracks my heartrate. It helped me to see how my racing heart slowly starting calming down. It did take a few days (at least 5) but it did go away. Hang in there, drink lots of water! I cant tell you why it helps but it does.

Good morning Willow!

Listae – I can’t even have wine in the house right now. No matter how hard I try to control it, it always controls me. Everytime…….

Have a wonderful sober weekend everyone
Old 06-20-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly20 View Post
Slept terribly last night but already feeling better this morning. Coming back into my day one more determined, more focused, and have a better plan in place. 12 hours since my last drink and this is going to be my last day one!
You can do it love.....with you here all day.... ❤️
Old 06-20-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Jewel and listae.....sending love and strength for today. s xx ❤️❤️
Old 06-20-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
Hi guys...

Kind of fell off the rails the last few months, but today is 7 days sober for me.
I'm looking forward to putting this drinking thing behind me for good, it's been a ball and chain for far too long.
Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Hey all, I'm back at it, but tomorrow is my official Day 1 since my last drink was after midnight. Feeling much better sipping on some gatorade/water and with a little soup in me. Been a really, really rough day. Don't wanna go through any of that again.
Awesome to see both of you!! s ❤️❤️