Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #10

Old 12-12-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #10

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...st-9-a-20.html (The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #9)

D
Old 12-12-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee! Hope all is well with you.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Aly - all fine here

D
Old 12-12-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Aly, I hope your hacker situation gets resolved fast and your money is recovered.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for the new thread Dee!

I hope your hacker situation gets resolved quickly and with little financial pain Aly. My heart goes out to you.

FBL, I am glad to hear that your Mom is doing so much better! I know she will look forward to seeing you this Christmas.

Courage, I am glad that you are dealing with such a difficult year soberly. As you mentioned, the worst of times sober can't compare to the daily booze barrage days of yore.

I have an employee whom I am certain is drinking on the job. Nose is always red, slurring words sometimes, always need to "go to his car for two minutes" though he doesn't smoke. A few people suspect, but I know. He keeps asking me to go out for a beer after work. I don't know whether to just tell him my story, in a non accusatory manner, and see if it sinks in at all or just let him crash and burn. I know that you can't tell an alcoholic anything because they will be in denial right to the end. I think I will feel guilty if I end up having to take disciplinary action against him at some point, and never gave him my little speech. What are your folk's thoughts?

Back on a very rare early stretch of work. I don't mind the nights so much these days being so close to work, but still like getting home in the light occasionally.

Have a good day all!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Unfortunately I've lost at least $2K that is non recoverable. I am not ever charging anything on line again. I still have to make a couple of phone calls but I feel so beat down today after what I've been through the last couple of days. My mom and the struggling sis I still talk to at times have been surprisingly kind about it. At least I didn't get held up, shot, in an accident and like my sister said, it is only money, think of the good things. shock. So I woke up in full blown panic. My financial situation is precarious at best.
I'm so glad I have my shift at ARF today. Get my mind off of this and some good physical work will help me work off this anxiety.
Thank you all for being here. Cour I hope you are well, darling one. Just love you! ♥ Sorry for the PDA.
SG, wishing you the best with your drinking employee. I know you will do the right thing when the time comes.
Peace and love to everyone today.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Aly

Stargazer, I think you should talk to the guy. You don't have to say really directly that you're an alcoholic -- you could just start a private exchange to explain that you don't go out for beers because you don't drink, and that you quit, and then maybe that you were there if he ever wanted to talk more about such things because you had some feel for that problem, or whatever as your instinct tells you. I've given a few people this website, and who knows if they ever visited even or post, but it was a kind of "hey, you're not alone." Just giving him an opening that you'll listen, if he chooses to talk?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope there's still a chance for you to get some money back Aly.
I've had fraud before and got all the money back,

D
Old 12-13-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see any harm in talking to the guy SG - as long as you realise it may change nothing - at least you tried?

D
Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I'm going to try, but the last time I talked to them, it wasn't very hopeful. I appreciate it and I am going to try.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am so sorry to hear you are out of that much money Aly. That is horrible. I hope you can get the situation rectified to some extent.

Thanks for the advice guys. Coincidentally, my employee called out sick yesterday after slurring his words and stumbling around a bit the day before. I will attempt to talk to him at some point.

Back on the early shifts this week for the first time at my new store. I do enjoy getting out of the store at 2:00 but getting up early...

Have a good day all!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, SG. And I know you will handle the employee situation well. I'm sure that is kind of stressful. Best of luck.

Wishing all the POSTers a great Saturday! I am so happy I discovered this thread, thanks to Gilmer a long time ago. Love and peace to you all. (my mantra these days ).
Old 12-17-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, my co-worker is going to have the bypass surgery on January 30th. So, that means that I'll pretty much be running the business by myself for the entire month of February. We may try to hire a high school kid to come and fill orders, so at least I won't have to deal with that task. I'm sure I can handle it, but will be praying for his speedy recovery!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL, did your coworker attempt dietary changes at all? I know you will do well running the business, but that will take time away from researching your new book I presume. How is your Mom doing this week?

Aly, how are you holding up dealing with this financial mess? Remember, money can always be replaced, but sobriety is much harder to recover. You are doing well dealing with the stresses you have been under.

Courage, I imagine you will have a small block of time off with the impending holidays? Hopefully, you can recharge a bit. I am sure NYC looks beautiful during Christmastime.

I've been super busy at work but oddly calm about it. Being so close to home allows me to decompress from the job quickly. I spend so much less time commuting to and from work, it feels as though I have an extra day off every week.

Going out to dinner tonight for my MIL's 80th birthday and tomorrow night is my wife's company Christmas party. I have gone enough times that everyone there knows that I don't drink and I get a good steak dinner out of it.

Time to get some things done around the house.

Have a good day all!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

SG, thank you so much. My mom and sister have been kind, my mom esp. Like my sister said, it's only money. I haven't had a drink over it yet, so I am determined not to. Thank you for your concern.
I hope you are doing well. How is it going with SAD? This time of year can be so tough. I know it is for me. I wish I could go to French Polynesia for the whole holiday thing. Well, since I don't have any money, I guess that's not going to happen. Lol. I hope you're doing well. You sound a little tired.

FBL, you're so competent I'm sure you'll do a great job. Sorry about your coworkers bypass. Best to him and you.

Peace and love to all of you during a time which can be difficult for so many of us. Staying strong with your help! ♥♥♥
Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well, my co-worker's heart saga continues. The doctors had a confab and now they've decided to cancel the bypass and try the stent again. So, he goes in on January 2nd to have that done. It's a good thing for all involved, as he shouldn't miss too much work with the less invasive procedure.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL, I guess it is always better to try the least invasive procedure first. I hope your coworker has made some dietary changes and adding some walking or other exercise regimen to his daily routine.

I am pleased to hear that you are foreseeing good weather for your holiday trip back home FBL. Taking a road trip in your part of the country this time of season must usually be fraught with peril. Smooth sledding for your little Toyota.

Went to bed at 2:30 this morning. We are incredibly busy, and have unprecedented numbers of employee call outs. A few legitimately but I feel others just taking days off to complete their own shopping and whatnot. It is crunch time in my business, and large amounts of call outs hurt the folks whom do show up to work, and leaves a lot of money for the store on the table. Hopefully, we can over hire a bit, so that we can give certain individuals more planned time off without consequences. I don't want to come off sounding mean spirited, but people know what the job entails, and holidays are our Super Bowl. Just saying.

I hope everyone else is approaching the holidays in good spirits. I imagine you have some substantial time off Courage?

Went to my wife's company party the other night. I finally learned the trick of turning one's wine glass over so that the service staff is not constantly asking you if you want wine. Every year, the talk is about beer, wine and drinking adventures. I find it funny that people my age still find it funny telling stories about being so drunk and barely making it home. Cringe worthy really. And these folks are highly educated engineering types, not college students. I just laugh at their stories and enjoy filet mignon and lobster tail. And make sure I get in my car and leave ahead of them.

Remember to keep the sober faith everyone. This is a time of year where even the normies in our lives tend to drink, or over drink, and the thoughts of opening gifts and enjoying a glass pop into my head from time to time. I play that well worn tape over and over in my head when the AV tells me it's really ok. I remember that I was never one to have just one, and I love waking up Christmas without a hangover.

Ramble over.

Have a great day all!
Old 12-22-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Busy week ahead. Monday is a full work day. Tuesday, I make the 6 hour trip to Minnesota to see Mom and my brother's family. I'm stopping in St. Paul on the way to have lunch with a friend from my FB recovery group. She has a little over 2 years sober and has an amazing story, as we all do. I'll spend some time with Mom on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, before heading back to Milwaukee on Wednesday afternoon to be back to work Thursday morning.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sounds action packed FBL!

I work full days today and tomorrow, then begin the relative tour. We visit father in law in assisted living on Christmas Eve, sister in law Christmas morning, my parents Christmas afternoon, then I work at 5:00 am Thursday. Fortunately, no one lives more than thirty minutes away.

Have a good day all!
Old 12-22-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)