Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #10

Old 12-22-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

FBL, have a great time seeing your mom. Sending prayers that she is doing well.
It is pouring down rain like I haven't seen it in a long time. We need it, but it sure makes taking Luke out for his walk more than a tad uncomfortable.
Wishing wonderful, peaceful and loving holidays to you all. My love to each and every one of you. ♥♥♥
Old 12-23-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Talked to Mom on the phone yesterday and she's excited for my visit (as am I!). My brother has arranged for all of us to eat a Christmas Day meal at the rehab facility with her, so that should be fun.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Holidays gang

Old 12-24-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks Dee! And to you and your loved ones!

FBL, that sounds great. I was watching a bit of the Vikings-Packers game last night. Who is your team these days? I am a very casual sports fan these days, but occasionally will tune in, especially if the game is meaningful. Safe travels!

Have a good day all!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, I've always been more of a baseball fan. Actually, my interest in pro sports overall has dwindled over the years. I used to be a HUGE Vikings fan, but it is fun to see how much better the Packers have been since I moved here in 1992. I've actually lived in Wisconsin longer than I did in Minnesota, so I guess my interest is mainly in the Wisconsin teams overall.

Well, I'm just about ready to head out on my road trip.

Merry Christmas to all the POSTIES!
Old 12-24-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Happy holidays to the most wonderful group of people! ♥♥♥
Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
p***enger

Tonight my son is visiting & will make dinner for us all. Then his father and I have plans which I will not describe in anticipation of their coming (or not coming) to fruition. I've been ill-inclined to put holidays on display this year, but feel goodwill to all, including those whose will towards me is maybe not-so-sure.

Imagine walking a 100 miles, 9 months pregnant -- or riding a donkey, which is probably worse. All you men can't even imagine being pregnant, but I assure you, at 9 months, we're talking about lugging around a hungry, vigorous being who cares only for his own comfort and likes to jab his elbows into your kidneys. And then, not being able to get a hotel room when you get there!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Have a beautiful day/eve, Cour. What a nice reminder.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope the dinner was good and your plans came to fruition Courage.

Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-25-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Have a great Christmas all!
Old 12-25-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas everyone!

Its been a while since I posted. I miss everyone! How is everyone?!

This past year has been one of the busiest years of my working life. Last year this time I found out I hadn’t gotten a promotion but was recognized for my talent and contributions by being given more responsibilities, for the same position and pay. There was no way I was going to turn down this terrible offer, and a year later and I find myself asking my boss how I can find more personal balance. It’s not easy being an eager, overachieving alcoholic.

it’s been a challenging year. I’m not drinking. I’m working through my stress, frustration, personal offenses, professional challenges and victories, without a good orderly program to support me (or other recovery minded people to remind me to snap out of it when needed).

SG - I often find myself sharing some of the lessons I’ve learned along the way with my team, but in very general terms. If telling your personal story takes a lot of emotional capital, you run the risk of disappointment if the employee blows it off. Protect yourself and only share if your feelings will remain intact regardless of their response.

Have a good night!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great to "see" you Glee!

Companies love employees like yourself, whom gladly take on more responsibility without extra compensation. Make sure you actively strive to find a better work/life balance as your personal life is always busy enough with the kiddos.

I know that you have a long streak of recovery going, but remember to never take it for granted. We all still can face difficult times where we are tempted. You know what you need and where you can find it. I usually try to start my day here just to center myself a bit and to remember that without sobriety, this life I have constructed over the past few years is little more than a house of cards that will come tumbling down if I slip up. Helps to keep me humble and my life in perspective a bit.

I hope Santa was good to everyone!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 12-26-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey there Gleefan

D
Old 12-26-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for checking-in, Glee! We've missed you!!

Had quite the trip to Minnesota. Got to spend lots of time with Mom. She's healing very slowly and she's still in moderate pain. However, she's eating good and she's doing her physical therapy. The place she's at was just built about 5 years ago and it is state of the art. They have a large staff and all of them seem very nice and attuned to the needs of the residents. We had some long conversations and her mind is still pretty sharp. Will keep praying for continued healing.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hello again!

For me, with 5 and a half years of sobriety, I have found this year, in not making mindfulness a daily priority, my negativity has had a chance to grow and flourish. That is not great.

Back to basics for me. Ii am using a positivity app to start the day with a short exercise in positive thinking. I’m going to try to start most days with exercise as well after I get back from traveling over the next few days. I’d also like I end the day with some kind of reflection.

Happy 2020 to all!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Glee! It's wonderful to see you. I hope your positivity plan will include more visits to SR -- we miss you!

I let life get under my skin too much this year, too. For me, it's not so much negativity as a troubled-mind. Rarely an easy feeling -- I let work cut into my time for meditation, SR, and poetry, and don't spend the time I should to get my mind off the train.

sg, you're right on target about staying humble -- we all know what it's like to fight alcoholism, and it's a fight that I, for one, can only lose. To me, humble means more than admitting my weaknesses & failings to myself -- it's communication, asking people for help, trying to help others. Most people I know probably aren't alcoholics, but many have problems they can't control -- overeating, chronic pain, racial discrimination, social ostracism on account of political beliefs -- everyone has their own bag of rocks. My sobriety is a house of cards when I build it all by myself. Everyone helps me.

FBL, I'm glad you're mother is steadily getting better.

The plan for Christmas came to pass: after my son went home Christmas Eve, we went to a solemn midnight tridentine mass -- that's in Latin. My husband becomes more and more Catholic every year. And it's not a bad thing for me. So that ushered in Christmas Day, & the rest of the day I just felt grateful, and watched videos of western line dancing. Vaqueros do it best:

Old 12-27-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I let work cut into everything that I usually do to get centered throughout the year, too. As it was happening I could see the impact on my satisfaction, gratitude, sense of awe and wonder, empathy, humility, relationships. I’m here to humbly say that I don’t recommend it.

That said things still do get better when you’re sober! I’m grateful that I was able to recognize that I needed to look inward to update my course. I’m grateful for this amazing, inspiring community on SR. I’m so grateful everyone is here.

Life is so much better without the booze.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I let work cut into everything that I usually do to get centered throughout the year, too. As it was happening I could see the impact on my satisfaction, gratitude, sense of awe and wonder, empathy, humility, relationships. I’m here to humbly say that I don’t recommend it.
This is a great reminder that we need to recapture that first year magic, when being sober was new and we began to see the world again through child like eyes. I feel when we lose "satisfaction, gratitude,sense of awe and wonder, empathy, humility" we are at risk of becoming jaded and unhappy with ourselves and our lives. That is exactly the door that our addictive voices want to use to reenter our lives. Face it, life can be a slog at times with work pressures, financial concerns, family issues and our own self doubt. We need to take the time to prioritize the most important person in our lives, namely ourselves. If we can't be centered and living in the moment, everything else is in danger of falling away around us.

Thanks for that poignant reminder Glee. I struggle with these very issues continually, especially this time of year. It is something to ponder as we prepare to enter a new year and decade.

FBL, I am glad your Mom is doing so well! It is a relief to you I am sure. Got to spend Christmas afternoon with my folks, and they are still quite mentally sharp, though slowly down a bit physically. Happy to see the elders continually to enjoy their latter years.

Have a good day all!
Old 12-30-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Actually had a rare Sunday off yesterday.

Paid some bills, made a big dinner for the family, and watched a little football. I feel like a normal person, as I get ready for work early Monday morning.

Besides staying sober, does anyone make New Year's resolutions? I don't make any resolutions per se, but I need to shed the pounds I put on after my surgery at the end of the summer. It's definitely not an easy time of year to get out exercising with the weather mostly dismal, but I can clean up the diet a bit.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 12-30-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, I made a resolution a long time ago, to never make another New Year's Resolution. Funnily enough, it's the only one I've ever stuck to.

That said, I've decided to start eating healthier and exercising more. But that probably had more to do with my co-worker's recent health scare. My cardio seems to be in pretty good shape, but could also use some improvement, I'm sure.

Have a great Monday, gang!