Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #10

Old 12-30-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

SG, I had a surgery too last year, I lost a bunch of weight before. Then after the surgery, I gained about 20 pounds back and I'm having a horrible time losing it again. I need to amp up my physical too. Like you, when it's cold and icky, I just don't want to. I've been really tired too. This time of year can really throw me off my game. Hopefully we'll both get that post surgical weight off!
Love and peace to all of you! ♥♥♥
Old 12-30-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
p***enger

My New Year's resolution is to practice friendliness.

I'm off to Mexico for a little while. My husband is trying to teach me to get lost --

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers
<3 <3
Old 12-30-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no trouble with your current level of friendliness, lol.
Have a wonderful break Cour.

D
Old 12-30-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Cour, that quote is incredibly powerful!

Somehow it seems I find myself giggling at so many of you posts! Not that you don't have wonderful serious things to say as well, such as that meaningful quote!

All my love to you ♥♥♥

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have to work this morning, but have the afternoon off to do as I please. No work for New Year's Day, but I do have to hold down the fort on January 2nd, as my co-worker goes in for his stent. January 2nd is also my biological birthday (54 this year, yikes!). However, my sobriety birthday of June 22 really means more to me these days. Without that one, I never would've made it to 54!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL!!!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Have fun in Mexico Courage! Sunshine and warmth sound nice right about now. I love the quote too.

Practice friendliness. Could be a new mantra for 2020.

I hope the procedure goes well for your coworker FBL. Do you do anything nice for yourself on your birthday?

Aly, I hope you are doing well. You have sounded a bit down recently. It's a difficult time of year for me to navigate too.

Have a safe and sober New Year's Eve all!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks SG. Yes, I've been trying to navigate life and I've been struggling with a bit of depression. But getting a mani/pedi today with hopefully lift my mood a bit.
Hope you are well.
Love and peace to all our POSTers! ♥
Old 01-01-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I had a really cool experience yesterday. We had about 4 inches of snow on Monday night. I took the mail over to the boss's house and he tells me that the plow guy can't make it to plow his HUGE driveway. So, he asks if I would please shovel just the front walk/steps. So, I get done with that and then decide to also shovel Fran's wheelchair ramp, which runs along the side of the house and down to the main driveway. Now, my boss does have a snow blower in the garage, but I'm getting such a good workout doing it with just the regular shovel, so I decide to do the entire driveway! Nearly an hour later, I'm just finishing up and a strange vehicle pulls into the freshly cleared driveway. Turns out it's my boss's "son" that he adopted from Honduras back in the day. I hadn't seen him since the night of Fran's accident, so was really nice to catch up with him and his family. The moral of the story is that if I wouldn't have shoveled the driveway like I did, I would've missed him! Plus, I got a great cardio workout in the process. Win-win!!!

Love and light to all of you in 2020!!!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

FBL - Happy Birthday! What a nice story: a good deed and a nice reward for it! I’m glad you had a chance to catch up with your friend.

Aly - Move a muscle, change a thought. A mani pedi sounds like a mice treat.

Courage - Enjoy your trip! Be friendly sounds like a nice resolution.

I got back from a few days out of town. Don’t get jealous, it was to cold, icy New England towns for hockey tournaments. Back to work tomorrow.

I love making resolutions! In 2020 mine is for balance.

Happy New Year everyone!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Cour, have a wonderful time. I wish I could go too! I'm starting to feel like I need a little time away.
Glee, I love, move a muscle, change a thought. Beautiful and so true! The mani/pedi turned out well, but there is always that one nail with me that gets messed up!
FBL, good news. That's how I look at my work at ARF too. Not only am I doing something for the dogs, I am getting a major workout too. Muscles hurt I didn't even know I had. Most days I look at it as a win/win. Lol.
Happy New Year to all of our Grat Pack.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
p***enger

¡Hola, mis amigos! Estoy muy bien. ¡Hasta luego!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hola Courage!

The team lead/supervisor at work who reports to me has a phenomenal year but is super stressed and burnt out. She was passed over for a promotion. I understand her frustration and am super disappointed. I lose so many good folks because the call center is very demanding & does all it can to limit costs. When senior leaders ask what they can do to keep good people, their response has been no. For me it can be hard to keep myself grounded when others are struggling. I need to remember that I am ok with the day to day tasks I have to do. I’m pretty good at them, feel a healthy level of challenge in some, and like them overall. When I get overwhelmed I prioritize and take it one task at a time.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi Glee! Good to see you back here. I think I just started to post here when you where starting to take some time. Happy New Year to you and everyone!!
Old 01-03-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I had a nice, uneventful 54th birthday yesterday. I started and ended the day with an online meeting, which was good. In many ways, my sober birthday (June 22) means more to me than the biological one. Without that one, I wouldn't be here today!

My co-worker had 2 stents inserted yesterday. He had a complication with an irregular heartbeat. They are keeping him in the hospital overnight for observation. I'm hopeful that he will be back to work on Monday, but the wife may not let him!

Have a great Friday, gang!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy belated birthday FBL. I kind of agree that the sober birthday is actually more meaningful than our actual birthday.

Sorry your coworker experienced some complications. I am glad they kept him overnight.

Glee, the one task at a time method works for me also when I am stressed at work.

Enjoy Mexico Courage!

Have a good day all!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, FBL!!!
Hope your day is wonderful.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Today was rainy and gray. Sunny Mexico would be amazing right now.

I had to work today. In the semi silence of the office, I recognized that I assume the worst when certain people close to me are suspicious of others’ behavior. It was a powerful observation that I am jumping to a conclusion without all of the facts. I realized that today was not the first time I didn’t collect the facts, unbiased, on my own before coming to a conclusion. Staying objective and being fair is important to me.

I’m home watching football with the family tonight. Have a good weekend!!

Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Glee, thank you for bringing that up. I have been doing the same thing for a while, I'm glad you put it to words. Sometimes I think it's my internal defense mechanism, but it is something I need to work on.
Hope you all are well. Have a lovely Sunday. Love and peace to all, esp Aussies dealing with the fire. ♥♥♥
Old 01-06-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
recognized that I assume the worst when certain people close to me are suspicious of others’ behavior.
i do too. Paranoia is infectious. I actually walked out on someone in the middle of a conversation recently -- i'd given fair warning-- because he kept harping on suspicions & raising people's anxiety. He seemed to thrive on convincing everyone that a) our situation is terrible, & b) there's nothing anyone can do. How can someone live (sober) like that?

We're in a medium-sized town, about to take a bus to a small town. Today was Epiphany. Yesterday we saw a parade for the arrival of the Tres Reyes (3 Kings). The weather is chilly in the a.m. The Airbnb apartment where we're staying has no heat--but it warms up in the sunny afternoon. The tangles in my head unwinds a little more every day.

kisses,
Old 01-07-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My co-worker phoned me early yesterday morning and said that he didn't feel up to coming in yesterday. This left me to once again do his job, on top of mine. Not what I had hoped for, but I just focused on each task and everything got done with a little time to spare! Thanks to my recovery, I'm able to handle these situations and not feel any resentment. That said, I really hope he's back today!