Notices

Class of September Part 3, 2019

Old 10-18-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!
Bob, I'm so sorry you're going through that. Craving is such a terrible feeling. Going to the doctor sounds like a great idea. I'm going to start counseling soon.
Were you hungry? Or tired? Or maybe dehydrated? When a craving hits me, listening to a recovery podcast helps so much. It readjusts my thinking. I'll be thinking of you and pulling for you!
I am so glad it's Friday! This week has been so busy that it flew by. I didn't get enough work done because I was so busy with activities. So, I will have to do some work at home over the weekend. Oh, well. At least I have a job, and at the beginning of the week I was not too sure I would still have a job by today!
I hope everyone has a great recovery day! (Still thinking of a better thing to call it than sober)
Old 10-18-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the vast majority of us face cravings at some time or another Bob. I certainly did at various points in my first year - and a couple of times after that.

I always say that thoughts are not the measure of our recovery - it's what we do in response than counts

D
Old 10-18-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I could not agree more.... s

And because those cravings would come up and smack me hard at the weirdest times, I had a strategy. I gave my AV a face. One that I could talk to....here he is, the little whirling dervish. He is a disgrace.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Quick check-in this AM.

Hey Bob. I totally relate to your issue. The first several weeks, I have enough impetus to stay sober and be happy about it. The work for me hits at 6 weeks or so... It's when I start thinking about controlled drinking. I had nearly 4 years of sobriety before I relapsed, so I feel a little bit of hopelessness and that I will always have this monkey on my back.

I think this time, I understand that being an alcohol addict is more or less a permanent condition that I will have to continue to work on.

Congratulations on your sobriety! Wishing you the best.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I hope everyone has a great recovery day! (Still thinking of a better thing to call it than sober)
Yup.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Tasmanian Devil, Venus, it made me laugh. I don't think I've given mine a face, maybe I should.
I remember the first couple of weeks, when the urge was so strong during cravings. I haven't had that in a couple of weeks, but I get urges and my mind, my alcoholic mind, makes things up and no matter how crazy they are I can feel myself starting to believe them just a little. Like with the Kahlua gift I was given. "It's like candy, not alcohol." Wow. Then there was, "What if you just drink when it's given to you and never buy any!" Just nuts.
I hope we all get through the weekend without cravings or AV talking in our ear.
It feels really good to be home and sober on a Friday night!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Yeah, kahlua is ridiculous. Dessert drink to kill. Poison dressed up real pretty.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good evening all...

I am a bit behind on all the awesome posts. A big Congrats to all for the milestones, strengths and successes here! Good to hear you all are taking good self-care and seeing a doctor to address any issues.

My son made it to Japan this morning. Yesterday, I wanted to retreat to my bed and hide. No matter how long they are gone, how happy and successful they are I still can't stand to see them leave the nest. I went full mommy mode for two glorious weeks--laughing harder, smiling bigger and being the best version of me. I went from obnoxiously happy to a dark place I haven't seen in a long time. In the past, I dealt in maladaptive ways, but this time I sat with my sadness, trying to be comfortable being uncomfortable. The emotional sobriety part of this journey is something I hope will get easier with time as I gain new coping skills.

So today was a little brighter, my dog guilted me into walking tonight, attended a meeting and then a relaxing whirlpool hydrotherapy bath. Feeling emotions and not avoiding or numbing is important for my growth on this journey.

Keep up the great work everyone! Wishing all a peaceful evening!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

That is the kind of self care that takes us out of the dark place....I think. s
One step at a time with love and kindness, until we are less dependent on others for our happiness. It truly begins to come from within. ❤️
Old 10-19-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good morning from the beautiful Midwest! Had a great time at the concert with no desire to drink. I snuck candy in for my sweet treat after dinner, and they checked my purse at the door! Boy, was I glad it was just gummy bears and not little bottles of wine!

Anyway, today is Saturday and I’m thankful to be clear minded and ready to enjoy the day.

Runner, Yes, keep taking care of yourself and those emotions in a positive way. I’m so glad you had that time with your son!

Hi Karen, Pouncer, Venus, Dee, Bobdrop (hope you’re ok), Wasting, Mike, Awake, Midton (you still out there?) and anyone else I’m missing. Stop in and say hello.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday everyone! I slept in. I think I slept 11 hours last night. Wow. Now, I have to hurry. I should never make appointments for Saturday mornings.
Runner, I was thinking that your son had already left. I know it was hard to see him go! I loved your post though. You are an inspiration to me. All of you are!
It's wonderful to see you all doing so well.
I'd best get going. I'd love to hear from those who haven't posted, too. I woke up thinking of Bob and hoping those cravings went away.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I got caught trying to take a sandwich and bottle of water into the football in Melbourne after I got sober....and I had the exact same thought.....almost
Mine was lucky I didn't have a water bottle filled with vodka.

Glad you had a great time at the concert. And glad you had a great sleep Karen!

s ❤️
Old 10-19-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Checking in this AM. Building a shed this weekend with the hubs. I love making things, so I am glad to be occupied this weekend.

Runner, I read your post last night before I went to bed and am thinking about you. Empty nesting is a really difficult stage to get through, I hear. It’s around the corner for me, with my oldest, who wants to go to Japan, too. (((Hugs))) I hope the pain subsides soon.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the helpful support...I really appreciate it!
It's a gloomy day here and my post parting depression is waning a bit. I am doing housework but feel I need to get out in nature...maybe a walk in the park if the weather permits. Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend...I envy all of you who can enjoy the beautiful colors of fall
Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Building a shed! Wow, that is a huge undertaking. So great that you can do it, Pouncer.
It's raining here, too. I have to find a way to keep Charley out of the mud.
I'm glad your feeling some better, Runner.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement...currently shut up in my room and trying to calm down. Husband does not have the same work ethic and we are never on the same page with projects. He constantly wants to skip steps like sealing, using a vapor barrier, leveling, measuring, waiting for adhesive to cure, etc. I took over the tiling the entire house last year...very frustrated. He leaves and takes naps without saying anything...

Going to put on headphones and plow forward. Can’t control what he does, after all.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

(((Runner)))

Hope you get back to normal soon. PPD is tough. Have a nice walk!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I get very frustrated with my husband as well.
I guess men and women just have very different ways.
Must be that tho. s

(I was just so mean....I just fixed our Halloween lights that weren't working and kind of told him to leave it to me....just rude hey....then I explained....he just does the screws too tight...no big deal.... Um, I also apologised. ).
Old 10-19-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus...thanks for commiserating. I may have unreasonably high standards at times and may need to chill out a little.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hello everyone --

I've been busy as of late, having a rough time with some health issues, but it'll be ok. I'm on day 20 sober and looking forward to three weeks tomorrow. I hope all are doing well. Keep at it